The Mass and Protestant Services very different

I’m still sort of new to the Catholic Faith. But as I learn more about it, i find that the Mass differs greatly from protestant services in more than just liturgy/no liturgy, communion/no communion, and just stuff like that. But the main thing I find that differs between the two is that Catholics go to Mass to worship God and to only Worship God, of course there is a homily or sermon, but the Eucharist is the main reason for the Mass, to offer Jesus back to God, because it is the only thing that pleases Him because Jesus was the perfect sacrifice. But Protestants go to church to worship in a much more different way. Most of them go to feel good, to get ‘recharged’ in their faith, to get something out of the sermon, to hear the good music, to socialize and so on… So what i get is that Catholics to go church to give to God, and protestants to go church to get from God. Am I the only one that thinks this? Am I totally wrong? Please lend me your thoughts on this :slight_smile: Thank you!

I am not a Christian in any sense of the word, but it seems that you are correct as I recall attending Catholic Mass and a Protestant Service and they are quite different.

One can object by pointing out the Lutheran Church has communion but it is consubstantiation, not transubstantion. I am not sure about Anglican belief though.

There are some truth in your statement. Most Non-Catholic Christians go to worship to feel good. They like the music, the way the preacher preaches the Gospel.

Catholic during the Mass give themselves up to God. Before receiving the Blessed Sacrament, we say, “Lord, I am not worthy to received you, but only say the word and I shall be healed. Amen.”

Eucharistic Liturgy is the heart of Catholicism. We Catholics truly worship Jesus who is the Bread of Life. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states this so.

1621 In the Latin Rite the celebration of marriage between two Catholic faithful normally takes place during Holy Mass, because of the connection of all the sacraments with the Paschal mystery of Christ. In the Eucharist the memorial of the New Covenant is realized, the New Covenant in which Christ has united himself for ever to the Church, his beloved bride for whom he gave himself up. It is therefore fitting that the spouses should seal their consent to give themselves to each other through the offering of their own lives by uniting it to the offering of Christ for his Church made present in the Eucharistic sacrifice, and by receiving the Eucharist so that, communicating in the same Body and the same Blood of Christ, they may form but “one body” in Christ.

1378 Worship of the Eucharist. In the liturgy of the Mass we express our faith in the real presence of Christ under the species of bread and wine by, among other ways, genuflecting or bowing deeply as a sign of adoration of the Lord. “The Catholic Church has always offered and still offers to the sacrament of the Eucharist the cult of adoration, not only during Mass, but also outside of it, reserving the consecrated hosts with the utmost care, exposing them to the solemn veneration of the faithful, and carrying them in procession.”

Many people seem to go to church only for the doughnuts.

In all seriousness, it’s unfair to pointedly criticize the Protestants’ way of worshiping. I’m not sure what goes on in a Protestant church, but worshiping is worshiping. Are Catholics instantly superior because they give rather than get? God will be the one to judge which type of worshiping He likes better, not you.

On a related note, I find it odd that while Catholics and Protestants both have good intentions and roughly the same goal, they continue to bicker with each other instead of working together.Yes, really odd indeed.

Catholics don’t think we are superior. We believe we received Jesus on a more personal level than Protestants, since most of them lack the Blessed Sacrament in their services.

On a related note, I find it odd that while Catholics and Protestants both have good intentions and roughly the same goal, they continue to bicker with each other instead of working together.Yes, really odd indeed.

Most of the time, Protestant attack Catholic dogmas and doctrines, and we are force to explain the “CORRECT” teachings of the Catholic Church. Most hardcore Evangelical Christians or Born Again Christians believe that the Pope is the Anti-Christ, and that we worship Mary. One even claim that Catholics believe the Pope to be God. :eek:

I don’t blame extreme Evangelicals for their misunderstanding of Catholicism. If they are Ex-Catholics, most of them were poorly catechized in the faith so they leave the Church. Many of these Ex-Catholics attack the Church and are less charitable than Protestants who convert to the Catholic faith.

Ex-Protestants who turn Catholic embrace their Protestant Up bringing, and thank their old faith for bringing them into the Catholic Church.

I like to note that not all Protestants held extreme Anti-Catholic views that Loraine Boettner’s book Roman Catholicism, or Jack Chick’s Anti-Catholic views. Most Protestants here respect Catholic beliefs.

I have respect for those Protestants. I am disappointed with Extremist Protestants who believe that the Vatican is the woman mention in Revelation 17:9-10.

Many Protestants would have the same argument: they are simply defending themselves because the Extremist Catholics keep attacking them. With this kind of mindset, the two sides will continue hating each other. I don’t know what the thread starter’s purpose was, but I’m getting the impression that it only provides a chance to happily bash the Protestants, which is no longer a defense but rather an offense.

Just for the record, I am a Catholic, albeit not a very good one.

Hi,

This protestant thanks you for making your points.:thumbsup: :smiley:

Sometimes when we are weak in our faith or low in our spirit, we need to recieve from God. But when we are blessed and doing well we need to give it back to God. HE wants both for us. What kind of Father doesn’t give to his children?

You also get exposed to a whole lot more Scripture at the Mass than you do at Protestant services.

I had an empoloyee tell me how uplifted and joyful she felt after her evangelical services and how much she enjoyed them. She asked me if it was the same for me. I told her no. When I leave Mass it is with a feeling of awe and profound reverence. I had just minutes ago held Our Lord and Savior in my hands and consumed his body and drank his blood. ill take that over being entertained any day.

This is so true!

Father Larry Richards strongly states that we are not supposed to go to Mass to “get anything out of it” but to “give our lives” over to God! I totally agree!

I put myself on that paten when the Priest (in Persona Christi) says, “through Him, with Him, in Him, in the Unity of the Holy Spirit, All Glory and Honor is Yours Almighty Father, forever and ever!” And then we say our “great amen” … “AMEN!” I gaze upon my Lord Jesus up there on the Altar and put myself right there with Him to give my life over to God!

The Eucharist is the Source, Center and Summit of our Christian life in the Catholic Church!

crossroadsinitiative.com/pics/online-catholic-resources.jpg *click

ribozyme,

You wrote:

One can object by pointing out the Lutheran Church has communion but it is consubstantiation, not transubstantion.

No Lutheran that I know teaches “consubstantiation” as an explanation Christ’s Real Presence in the Eucharist. We teach that Christ’s Body and Blood are received in Holy Communion, but we do not (and cannot) explain how it happens. It is a Holy mystery, known to our Lord, but unfathomable to human reason.

Peace,
Pastor Gary

Not true. Worshipping to me means to sacrifice my life for God just as Jesus did. In our Worship Mass we make present the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ as God the Father is very pleased with His son.

No we’re not superior and no one here said that we were, especially not the original poster!

But it is what we are supposed to do… to give of ourselves instead of trying to “get something out of” the service or to “get entertained.”

He is pleased with His Son Jesus Christ. So the Catholic Mass makes present the one and only sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Sacrifice is always present to the Lord so we take advantage of that fact and we do as Jesus commanded of us. We already know what God likes better as He is pleased with the Sacrifice of His Son Jesus Christ! So I am sticking with being Catholic and going to our wonderful Catholic Mass.

That’s not to say that He doesn’t like some Protestant services. I don’t know this either way. But I’m sure He knows what’s in their hearts.

This is true. :o Lord Jesus Christ have Mercy on me, a sinner. http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/Alegre-Fe/Emoticons/PrayPlead.gif

I myself, do NOT hate anyone.

Why are you so bitter? It seems you are the one full of hate.

[quote=skuld]Just for the record, I am a Catholic, albeit not a very good one.
[/quote]

You are right, “not a very good one” so you are in the right place.

There are more than enough Catholics here who want to attack us Catholics so I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t attack us. Not even most of the Protestants here “attack” as you have attacked us thus far.

I think ribozyme stated as such because that is what Luther taught. Whether you still hold to his teachings is a different story.

The thread starters purpose was to talk about the difference between Protestant and catholic Service. iI Don’ttknow how that translates into attacking protestans. In my case i am merely poinitng out that they have settled for a Church servoie that is a pale shadow of the awesome things one expriences at Mass.

There is great hope for one who syas they are Catholic albeit not a very a good one. You could trun that around today. Go to confession before Mass today and then go to Mass. you can then expericne the joy of recieving the Body and Blood of Christ! That makes for a great Catholic regadless of whatever shortcomings we might have.

This is true. If you attend Daily Mass then you would be exposed to a great majority of Scripture, Old & New Testaments, in a two year cycle. If you only attend on Sundays, then in a 3 year cycle.

[quote=estesbob]I had an empoloyee tell me how uplifted and joyful she felt after her evangelical services and how much she enjoyed them. She asked me if it was the same for me. I told her no. When I leave Mass it is with a feeling of awe and profound reverence. I had just minutes ago held Our Lord and Savior in my hands and consumed his body and drank his blood. ill take that over being entertained any day.
[/quote]

You would love the audio CD by Jeff Cavins, a revert to the Faith! I heard it several times and it’s on my iPod too!

catholiccompany.com/images/150px/8001444.jpg click :wink:

There is also a book but the audio CD is not the audio book on CD. They are two different things.

If I may say something I’ve noticed about Protestant churches, being a former Protestant myself. Please don’t take offense to this, considering it’s an observation I’ve made. It seems to me (the churches I’ve been in) are only as good as the personality of the Preacher. It doesn’t matter what the Preacher teaches, as long as he’s good with people, they’ll fill seats. Some people try to say if the pews in a church are packed, then it’s a sign from God. Eh, I disagree, as I pointed out.

Notice, I didn’t say ALL Protestant churches, it’s just the ones I have been in and around.

In Pax Christi
Andrew

Sandy,

Here are a few quotes from the Book of Concord, a collection of the confessional documents of the Lutheran church:

From Luther’s Small Catechism:

What is the Sacrament of the Altar?
It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, under the bread and wine, for us Christians to eat and to drink, instituted by Christ Himself.

From Luther’s Large Catechism:

“Now here stands the Word of Christ: Take, eat; this is My body; Drink ye all of it; this is the new testament in My blood, etc. Here we abide, and would like to see those who will constitute themselves His masters, and make it different from what He has spoken. It is true, indeed, that if you take away the Word or regard it without the words, you have nothing but mere bread and wine. 14] But if the words remain with them, as they shall and must, then, in virtue of the same, it is truly the body and blood of Christ. For as the lips of Christ say and speak, so it is, as He can never lie or deceive.”

From the Augsburg Confession:

Of the Supper of the Lord they [the reformers] teach that the Body and Blood of Christ are truly present, and are distributed 2] to those who eat the Supper of the Lord; and they reject those that teach otherwise.

From the Apology [Defense] of the Augsburg Confession

“…we defend the doctrine received in the entire Church, that in the Lord’s Supper the body and blood of Christ are truly and substantially present, and are truly tendered with those things which are seen, bread and wine. And we speak of the presence of the living Christ [living body]; for we know that death hath no more dominion over Him….”

There are other quotes I could look up, but perhaps the most unequivocable statement was made by Luther in his arguments with Zwingli over the nature of Christ’s presence in the Eucharist. Luther, having argued long with Zwingli find said something to the effect of “when Christ’s words, 'this is my body” are heard, ‘is’ means ‘is.’"

Peace,
Pastor Gary

Since Vatican II there has been a great deal of dialogue between Rome and the mainline Protestant denominations that have resulted in these Protestant churches modifying their liturgies so as to more mirror that of the Mass. Also, the frequency of Holy Communion has increased substantially in those denominations. Likewise, the Revised Common Lectionary (used by these mainline churches) is almost the same as that used by Rome. It has been exciting to me that whether one attends an RC church or a Methodist one, the same scriptures are being read.

Moreover, Anglo-Catholics and high church Lutherans have a very strong devotion to the Eucharist and celebrate the Sacrament at least once a week. Indeed, the Mass celebrated by traditional Anglicans resembles the old Tridentine Mass (except that it is in English) more than it does the Novus Ordo.

Pastor Gary(gcnuss),
Is it true that, in some Luthern churches, after ‘communion’ any leftovers of ‘bread’ and ‘wine’ are discarded?
If Luther taught or re-affirmed the true presence, why do some churches not adhere to that teaching?

Thank you,

Scott

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.