The Mass

I hear Protestants say that at the Mass, Jesus dies again. are they telling the truth, because Hebrews said Jesus die once for all?:confused:

Protestants, not being Catholics, probably are not the most reliable source for what happens at Mass.

I don’t think this should be classified as “telling the truth” versus the alternative (lying?) because it really isn’t a matter of facts, it’s a matter of their perception or opinion based on what they know or think they know about the Catholic Church. Their assertion comes from a lack of knowledge, rather than knowledge.

They may honestly believe what they say, but it is not accurate.

Correct.

In the Mass the priest makes present for all of us at the Mass that once for all sacrifice.

Protestants will misunderstand because they don’t understand fully the Passover and Old Covenant, which the Mass and New Covenant fulfill and perfect. When the Israelites were commemorating the Passover, they were actively participating in the first Passover and the Exodus. The same is true of the Mass. We are actively participating in the Last Supper, Crucifixion and Resurrection. It is the SAME sacrifice.

So what you are saying is that the Mass is remembering what Jesus did?

James White was the source that I heard. He was making his quotes from Canon Law.

No, it is like opening a portal through time so that we are present at the ORIGINAL sacrifice as it actually happened. God is outside of time, and is not limited by it.

Partially. It is not merely remembering, it is actually making it present.

As I said, lack of knowledge.

James White is perhaps more on the lying side than the poor understanding side. I
He chooses to believe false things even after catholic apologists show him over and over his errors.

He cannot concede, for if he does he loses his earthly kingdom he has built for himself.

He started long ago attacking Catholics based on false points. He has lost debate after debate and continues with his false talking points.

I highly encourage you to find your understanding of Catholic beliefs from Catholics.

So like 1ke said, there is one sacrifice. Christ made it 2000 years ago.

We commemorate it in every mass. That’s the simple version.

But we believe in miracles and Gods power. As such we believe Christ is really truly present in our mass and every mass every day joins us to that suffering of Christ 2000 years ago in a very real way.

It is not a resacrifice, but a real ongoing participation in the one sacrifice.

Protestants have no problem believing Christ died for sins committed after his death (ie yours and mine) but they reject that we can have an ongoing real connection to that sacrifice in the mass??

The same principle is used for both so it seems that they only reject it because it’s foreign to their tradition.

In RCIA recently it was explained to my husband (former non-denominational) that it is a re-presentation. Not representation, as a symbol, but a re-presentation as in the priest is presenting the original sacrifice again. He is re-presenting it but it is the same origial sacrifice. There are no additional sacrifices being made. Jesus’ sacrifice was once and for all for everyone.

We do remember what Jesus did, but it is INFINITELY more than that.

Malachi 1:11 “For from the rising of the sun even to its setting, My name will be great among the nations, and in every place incense is going to be offered to My name, and a grain offering that is pure; for My name will be great among the nations,” says the LORD of hosts.

This is a prophesy that was not fulfilled under the Old Covenant, but the New Covenant, because the Old Covenant only had sacrifices at one place, the Temple. The New Covenant has the ONE offering. The pure grain offering we bring to Mass is transformed into His Body by His power. It becomes the pure and holy offering of the Son to the Father.

Hebrews 13:10 We have an **altar **from which those who minister at the tabernacle have no right to eat.

This is VERY important to note. What is the use of an altar? It is where a sacrifice is offered. If there is no sacrifice, then what why would you need an altar?

We have to remember that Jesus is God. ALL of time is eternally present to Him. He is fully present at all moments of time, all at once. He eternally experiences the cross, and He eternally offers His Body to the Father.

That only goes to show their complete ignorance of the Mass,Scripture and history. The CC is not re-killing Jesus,moreover, it is the Prayer and Sacrifice of Jesus Christ the “Lamb of God” on Mount Calvary nearly two thousand years ago. His sacrifice is made present on the altar under the appearance of “Bread and Wine”. At the end of Mass we can receive Jesus raised from the dead into our souls.

White? Well that says it all…:ouch:

Protestants tells the sinner to “come to the Cross”. Sounds like the same thing to me, yet He is not on the Cross.

If he really truly took your sins on the cross, then yes you can "come to the cross " and yes he is on it. He has to be if your sins are included.

God is outside time.

Exactly. Catholics remember Jesus’ supreme sacrifice. And so we have not just a “cross” but a Crucifix. Jesus crucified on the cross is displayed in every Catholic Church.
Christ gives us His very self at every Mass.

Gal 3:1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was** clearly portrayed as crucified**.

1 Cor 1:22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 **but we preach Christ crucified: **a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,

St. Paul clearly has some explaining to do then.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.