'The Media Coverage on Syria is the Biggest Media Lie of our Time' -- Interview with Flemish Priest in Syria Flemish Father Daniël Maes

Link to article

Interviewer: You are very critical of the media coverage on Syria. What is bothering you?

Father Daniel: “The idea that a popular uprising took place against President Assad is completely false. I’ve been in Qara since 2010 and I have seen with my own eyes how agitators from outside Syria organized protests against the government and recruited young people. That was filmed and aired by Al Jazeera to give the impression that a rebellion was taking place. Murders were committed by foreign terrorists, against the Sunni and Christian communities, in an effort to sow religious and ethnic discord among the Syrian people. While in my experience, the Syrian people were actually very united.

Very interesting article!

The war in Syria. …

Well, if nothing else work then just blame it on Trump – the war, the refugees, the hundreds of thousands of children and women killed and beheaded, the billions of money spent, those Western civilians and soldiers alike being killed and tortured, the hundreds of churches destroyed and desecrated, and ancients artefacts looted and bombed. The list goes on.

Oh, they’ll try alright.

But what will they say when Trump notes the ACLU and the liberal courts stacked with Obama justices from Harry Reid’s nuclear option stood in his way?

They’re already giving them credit for stopping him!

This is largely the same argument that pro-regime supporters have made for every Arab Spring country and Ukraine as well. It still makes no sense.

Why would the US be involved in a secret conspiracy to overthrow the regime and then do absolutely nothing to support it? Why would the US ignore Assad’s use of WMDs–in open defiance of Obama’s “red line”–when it was a perfect pretext for removing him? Why wait until there’s a civil war and absolute chaos, then only get involved to fight ISIS, not Assad, despite saying for years that “Assad must go”? Why was the US absent in the talks in Kazakhstan that would shape the very country it was supposedly trying to control? It doesn’t make sense to begin a revolution and then stand by as it spirals out of control and away from your interests.

The much more likely scenario is that the US was totally blindsided by the Arab Spring. The Obama administration lacked a coherent foreign policy in general and had no clear goals beyond getting out of Iraq. It threw together a badly planned, inconsistent foreign policy that somehow managed to retroactively support regime change in Tunisia, offer mumbled support of regime change in Egypt before reversing that position later, firmly and militarily support regime change in Libya, while firmly opposing regime change in Bahrain. When Syria happened, it was just haphazardly thrown into this mess and the US was no better prepared for it either.

I have always heard that our position regarding Syria had something to do with an oil pipeline, which didn’t make a lot of sense as if Assad didn’t want it running through Syria, it could have skipped Syria and just gone to Turkey earlier.

Why would Obama support the rebels so frequently? He seems to have known nothing about them.

This supports an interview, with an Irish priest, several years ago, on radio, who had returned from Syria and was fund raising for Syrian orphans.

When asked what the Syrians thought of Assad - a question the priest was not expecting, and was taken aback - he said everyone he met supported him, whether they be janitors/non-professionals or doctors / lawyers, i.e. from all walks of life. He said he himself was ‘surprised’ initially but he had found that Syrians accepted the ‘regime’ system as their norm. He specifically mentioned talking with Doctors/lawyers, who he stated all supported Assad.

He was returning to Syria to continue his aid work.

Why doesn’t the media tell the truth? Why did the past administration send arms and Money to all qaida and other rebel groups to overthrow Assad in the first place? There is a plan to attempt globalization, one world govt. Sounds crazy, right? There are powerful elitists at work, in politics, supported by all those who see themselves as above it all. Bribed media, Hollywood elites, academia to brainwash the young and destroy freedom. This is really happening, right before our eyes. My heart is broken for all those who are suffering and being mercilessly slaughtered. Prayer and fasting is truly our only hope. Let’s get busy

What is also false is the idea that the media has been pushing this “popular uprising” notion to the exclusion of all other competing view. I have seen news coverage that shows Assad supporters as well as detractors. I’m sure there are some in both camps, and while the media may have featured one camp more than the other, both views have gotten coverage in the media. “Biggest Media Lie of our time” is a bit over the top.

I am not so sure what has been happening in the Middle East is haphazard and unplanned – as in “bumbling” and “not well thought out” foreign policy. I would suggest googling “Wesley Clark Seven Countries In Five Years”. There were plans in place from 2001 and the seven countries slated for invasion and overthrow were:

Iraq
Afghanistan
Libya
Sudan
Somalia
Lebanon
Syria
Iran

Iran was to be last on the last. Does any of this sound familiar? Look at what has occurred in these countries since 2001. Haphazard, no. Is it taking longer than five years, yes. General Clark has given several interviews about this matter. There are also writings from a think tank along these same lines; I think it was out of the Brookings Institute.

Father Daniel is correct. The Syrian people, though they may not personally ‘like’ Assad, they did approve of how he was governing. Muslim, Christian and secular all lived and worked together. Then the outside ‘rebels’ came to disrupt his country.

It is why I saw Russia as finally helping Assad, but the US as perpetuating another destructive war.

I don’t think the U.S. is pushing for a war in Syria, and certainly not now. Russia is ensconced in the part of Syria ruled by Assad, as is Iran. The remainder of the country is either a Kurdish enclave or a battleground.

I don’t think, however, that all Christians support Assad.

Not at all, now, thank goodness! But For a long time, seemed like all I heard was that Assad must go. It was just plain weird, because it seemed to come out of nowhere. “Assad must go” are either fighting words or nothing whatsoever.

Russia is ensconced in the part of Syria ruled by Assad, as is Iran. The remainder of the country is either a Kurdish enclave or a battleground.

I don’t think, however, that all Christians support Assad.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.