The Messiah in the Old Testament

When is the very first time in the Old Testament that the Messiah was mentioned?

First book and/or first chronologically.

Thanks.

A case could be made that Genesis 1:1 refers to the Trinity when it uses the word “God.” If so, then that is also a reference to the Messiah, because He is the second Person of the Trinity.

Some consider the earliest explicit prophecy of the Messiah to be Genesis 3:15 – the seed that crushes the serpent.

I think there may be an earlier prophecy of the Messiah in Genesis 2:24 – “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and cleave to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” Ephesians 5:31-32 may indicate that it is a prophecy of the Messiah cleaving to His Church because in that passage St. Paul quotes Gen. 2:24 and says, “This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.”

Only problem with that is Judaism still does not expect Moschiach to be divine, but rather an ordinary human being.

ICXC NIKA.

Why did you bring up Judaism? And why would their belief be a problem for our belief?

Perhaps, but I’m conflicted about Gen. 1:1 referring to a Messiah…clearly, Elohim does refer to the three persons of the Holy Trinity… so while the Son, who would be incarnate and become the Messiah,as mentioned by another poster noted, Genesis chapter 3 seems to work better, because until the Fall, there was no need for a Messiah.

Peace and all good!

Do you mean the word ‘messiah’ or the idea of a messiah?

isiah seems to be the major source of messiah prophecy. But i havent read it yet, so i couldnt really say.

When the Jews spoke about the Messiah coming, where is the first prophecy of Jesus coming to Earth?

Sorry if I worded it wrong.

:o

The protoevangelium (translated “first Gospel”) is Genesis 3:15 “I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”

But when is the first time that the Jews learn that Jesus will come to Earth?

Historically speaking, the belief in a messiah is said to have its roots in the expectation of a royal descendant of King David who will inherit the throne and make the kingdom flourish.

‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince over my people Israel; and I have been with you wherever you went, and have cut off all your enemies from before you; and I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. And I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in their own place, and be disturbed no more; and violent men shall afflict them no more, as formerly, from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel; and I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover the LORD declares to you that the LORD will make you a house. When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son. When he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men; but I will not take my steadfast love from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure for ever before me; your throne shall be established for ever.’ (2 Samuel 7:8-16)

So you might say that this is the ‘first’ time that God gave a hint to the Israelites.

What about the scepter of Judah?

*The scepter shall not depart from Judah,
nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet,
until he comes to whom it belongs;
and to him shall be the obedience of the peoples.

(Genesis 49:10)

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.