The Miracle on the Hudson and "The Rest of the Story"

Last Jan. 15th US Airways Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger and his and First Officer Jeff Skiles executed an emergency landing later dubbed “The Miracle on the Hudson,” after their flight had been struck by birds en route from New York to Charlotte, N.C.and lost both engines. In his many public appearances since then Capt. Sullenberger has proven to be a cerebral man who carefully chooses his words.

In his new book, “Highest Duty: My Search for What Really Matters” Sully, as he is affectionately referred to, has spent a great deal of time reviewing his life and career trying to understand what experiences from his past prepared him for the five minutes of white knuckled crisis that was flight 1549. It is a revealing and surprising look at the man and God’s providence in preparing him for that trial.

This past week the Wall Street Journal featured a review written by the man who co-authored the writing of the book. I’ve got some selections from it as well as some reflections provided by Fr. Robert Barron on the nature of God’s Providence and Karol Wojtyła – the juxtaposition I found fascinating. It reminds me too much of what Paul Harvey used to say was “The Rest of the Story.”

It’s all here:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/10/19/highest-duty-a-search-for-what-really-matters/

dj

May God increase and His instrument decrease, to His glory. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.