The miraculous crucifix of Our Lord of Esquipulas

The following was e-mailed me by cukierski.org. They have sand from there that has been involved in miracles for those who have been there in New Mexico. I am not aware of any private revelations yet. I had never heard of this before. If it is unapproved, though I doubt it is (as they seem very not the type to be into that), I apologize in advance.

Here it is: I’ll e-mail anything from the e-mail needed if I shouldn’t have posted this, but I’m pretty sure it’s on the website.

Sometime around 1810, a Chimayo friar was performing penances when he saw a light bursting from a hillside.

Digging, he found a crucifix, the miraculous crucifix of Our Lord of Esquipulas. A local priest brought the crucifix to Santa Cruz, but three times it disappeared and was later found back in its hole. By the third time, everyone understood that El Senor de Esquipulas wanted to remain in Chimayo, and so a small chapel was built on the site. Then the miraculous healings began. These miracles grew so numerous that the chapel had to be replaced by a larger one!

El Santuario de Chimayo is now known as the “Lourdes of America.” because of the numerous miracles. The crucifix still resides on the chapel alter, but for some reason its curative powers have been overshadowed by El Posito, the miraculous “sacred sand pit” from which it sprang, which gapes unevenly behind the main altar. Over 300,000 people visit every year!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.