The Miraculous Medal as a tool for conversions

St Catherine Labore presented the worlld with the Miraculous Medal to help save souls and to assist folks in trouble.

One story tells of a person challenging a staunch anti-Catholic friend to keep the medal for a year, and at the end of the year the friend converted.

There are also many stories of healings and other conversions.

My boss’s wife has terminal cancer, diagnosed recently. I think they are not Catholic. Should I give a medal to my boss for his wife ? I consider him my friend as we often go to lunch together.

I do not want to offer them false hope, as this must be a very difficult time for them. They have a teenage daughter and an older son (20). I pray for them but is that enough, should I advise them to approach Mary with their petitions ???

wc

BTW there are rules against imposing one’s religion on someone else in a federal work place.

I, personally would give it to them. If they pray for healing in the first place, that alone could be “false hope” as what seems to be the definition you’re meaning here. And I’m not businessman, but I assume that by imposing, they mean forcing, not suggesting or asking. If he made everyone pray the Our Father every hour, thats imposing in my view.

Sounds like more hocus Pocus.

If Jesus came down to you one day, and said to make a medal with his image on it, and promised that those who wear it will receive good things, or whatnot, would you just wave your hand and say “hocus-pocus?”

I’m guessing you don’t know the origins of the medal.

Mary came to St. Catherine and told her that to strike a medal with a specific image on it, and those who wear it will receive great graces. It wasn’t “made up.” The reason I used Jesus in the example above is because I assume you’re a Protestant, and probably suspicious if Mary came to you.

A challenge to YesorNo AND any other non-Catholic out there. Get a miraculous medal and wear or keep it with you for one year.

IF after one year you do not feel differently about Mary or the Catholic Church, come back to these boards and proclaim the ineffectiveness of Marian theology and this so-called hocus pocus.

You have nothing to lose and if you send me your name and address, I will even send a medal to you, free at my expense.

If you are skeptical or want to disprove Mary’s influence here is your chance to make us look bad. You can have bragging rights that you tried Mary’s medal and it didn’t do anything for you.

BUT let’s be honest now, for a true test, you must wear or keep the medal with you (as in your wallet or purse) for the full year. Don’t put it away in a desk or drawer.

wc

Fair warning:

The medal is famous for converting those who hate God or his Chruch. IF you are afraid to learn the truth about Catholicism, do not take up this challenge.

But if you want to follow Christ as He intended and find out once and for all if the Catholic Church is all that it claims to be, then send me your address, you can even leave out your name.

wc

In the 1990s, as a non-catholic (actually a “nothing” for many years) I had just begun to attend the traditional latin mass at an SSPX chapel after rediscovering in the 1980s that the TLM was still being said - ie that it hadn’t disappeared altogether as I’d thought. (In the sixties as a university student like you are now, I had been on the point of taking instructions in order to convert to Catholicism, but with the sudden introduction of the new mass I paused and then lost my ardour to convert.).

A friend who had introduced me to the TLM he attended, came back from a visit to Paris and gave me a fairly large (and blessed) miraculous medal and suggested I wear it. I did so for much of the next few months and whenever I wore it, it quickly helped me break down my petty self pride and laziness. Soon after that I could no longer resist my previous inhibitions and took instructions, declared the full (pre-V2) profession of faith for converts, was conditionally baptised and entered the Church. I was of course wearing the medal throughout this time and I am convinced that the miraculous medal was the means which cracked by sloth and brought me into the one true church. I now only attend the TLM (either the indult or the SSPX, wherever I can find it as I travel away a lot) and wonder how/why it took me so long to make the wonderful step to become a Catholic.

[quote=wcknight]My boss’s wife has terminal cancer, diagnosed recently. I think they are not Catholic. Should I give a medal to my boss for his wife ? I consider him my friend as we often go to lunch together.

I do not want to offer them false hope, as this must be a very difficult time for them. They have a teenage daughter and an older son (20). I pray for them but is that enough, should I advise them to approach Mary with their petitions ???

wc

BTW there are rules against imposing one’s religion on someone else in a federal work place.
[/quote]

I’d say definitly tell him abou the medal and offer one to him. You could do it during your lunch and you wouldn’t need to worry about your work place regulations. You gotta give it a try especially since it has worked miracles in the past, especially since its a life and death situation.

I sent him an email, and he said he would be happy to accept it. The situation is very serious, and he is very worried. He appreciates any prayers and help from any direction. His wife ia about to undergo chemotherapy but it appears even that does not offer much hope.

wc

Well, I gave him the medal this afternoon and he said his wife would get it within the hour.

It’s in God’s hand now. I have never challenged Mary to work a miracle for someone else before. I’ve prayed for folks and I’ve prayed for my own intentions (particularly when my older sister was critically ill).

I have much more faith and confidence when I’m asking for myself. I’m a little fearful that if it does not work out (even though the situation is very serious and maybe even hopeless), my boss may chalk off the Church as just another group of wishy washy folks.

Mary says if she has to appear to each and every person on earth to obtain their conversion, she would. A miracle here would go a long way to convincing my boss and his family, as I think, he has just about run out of hope on this one.

wc

wcknight,

Please if you don’t mind keep us informed on how your boss’s wife is doing.

She has been diagnosed with an advance case of breast cancer. It has spread to her organs. The prognosis is very bad.wc

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.