the missal

How does the missal work? I ordered them and are waiting for them to arrive. But not exactly sure how to use them. Very interested to find out though Thanks in advance, Jim

It may well depend on which you ordered. There should be some introduction in the front.

Most have the readings/prayers for the seasons in one section, the readings for the feasts of the saints in another, and the order of Mass in another.

The missal contains the particulars of the Mass. These are: The Proper of the Seasons, Proper of the Saints, The Order of the Mass, The Commons, Masses for the Dead, and in some cases, a section containing a selection of prayers.

If you bought a Daily Missal, it will contain all the possible variations for each Mass of the year. If you purchased a Sunday Missal, it will have the Masses for each Sunday and all the Feasts.

My OF Mass missals contain various calendar tables covering a number of years, indicating, for instance, the dates when the different Sundays and Feasts are to be celebrated in a given year and the pages in the missal where the readings, etc. for those celebrations can be found. For instance, one table looks something like this:
Year A
. . .
Page … Sunday or Feast … 2011… 2014 … 2017
164 … Mary, Mother of God …1 Jan. … 1 Jan. … 1 Jan.
175 … Epiphany of Lord … 2 Jan. … 5 Jan. … 8 Jan.
161 … Baptism of Lord … 9 Jan. …12 Jan. … —
189 … 2nd Ord Sun. …16 Jan. … 19 Jan. … 15 Jan.
194 … 3rd Ord. Sun. … 23 Jan. … 26 Jan. … 22 Jan.
200 … 4th Ord, Sun. … 30 Jan. … 2 Feb. … 29 Jan.
206 … 5th Ord. Sun. … 6 Feb. … 9 Feb. … 5 Feb.
211 … 6th Ord. Sun. … 13 Feb. … 16 Feb. … 12 Feb.
. . .

To find the readings for today, 5 Feb 2017, first locate the current year (2017) in the top row. Follow the 2017 column down to today’s date (5 Feb.). Then, follow the row where 5 Feb appears to the left to identify the Sunday or Feast for today and the missal page where the readings for it can be found, which, in this case, is 5th Ord. Sun., i.e., the 5th Sunday in Ordinary Time, whose readings can be found on page 206 of the missal.

Note: In the 2014 column the date 2 Feb. is in red to indicate that the usual Sunday celebration is replaced by another celebration and the reader is referred to another table where, in that case, the celebration of the Presentation of the Lord is indicated instead.

You can see the daily Mass readings on the US Catholic Bishops site:

usccb.org/bible/readings/index.cfm

How does the missal work? I ordered them and are waiting for them to arrive. But not exactly sure how to use them. Very interested to find out though Thanks in advance, Jim

I guess the specifics to your question depend somewhat on which Missal you purchased.

In general, the canon of the Mass is usually in the middle of the Missal. You will use this section of the book to follow along with the priest during Mass.

Most missals have ribbons. You will use one ribbon to place at the canon of the Mass so that you don’t lose your place.

In the Missal, you will also find the Mass for the day with the various readings, collects, etc. You will place a ribbon there and flip to that section when that part of the Mass is said.

Most missals are thick books and contain a wealth of information on the liturgy, prayers to be said before and after Mass, and more. They typically contain all the Masses for the entire liturgical year.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.