The Monstrance

I’m debating in a non-Catholic Forum, and one poster threw this website up: images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=monstrance+sfs&btnG=Search
I have been unable to find out what the SFS means.
I know it has a purpose, and a valid reason, but I cannot find an answer.

Maybe this belongs in Liturgy and Sacraments

Anyone help?

Thanks

Mark

[quote=bamark]I’m debating in a non-Catholic Forum, and one poster threw this website up: images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=monstrance+sfs&btnG=Search
I have been unable to find out what the SFS means.
I know it has a purpose, and a valid reason, but I cannot find an answer.

Maybe this belongs in Liturgy and Sacraments

Anyone help?

Thanks

Mark
[/quote]

SFS I think stands for the society of the Sacred Heart
Just below the SFS is a “banner” with some words the shadow to the right however covers up all but the last part and they are very fuzzy. Notice the Sacred Heart below this.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]SFS I think stands for the society of the Sacred Heart
Just below the SFS is a “banner” with some words the shadow to the right however covers up all but the last part and they are very fuzzy. Notice the Sacred Heart below this.
[/quote]

I noticed that, but I could not read it.
I need to be accurate on this, or I’ll get toasted.

Bamark,

I’m glad that you feel the need not to let this one slip by. It seems to be a totally unfounded, unsubstaniated and nonsensical claim.

Consider the following points:

1. As Bro. Rich points out there is some inscription below the 3 letters that may have some bearing on the meaning of the letters. The image is not clear enough.

2. As Bro. Rich also points out the letters may stand for anything, really. It could be a latin acronym, the acronym of the name of a religious order, an acronym another language, etc.

3. It may even be a maker’s mark or artists monogram. See collections.osb.hu/cgi-bin/targy_en?targy=160&kep=dscn2492 for another example (read the description)

4. It may not even be a Catholic monstrance. I think Episcopalians use them too? Do others?

5. Why would SFS = 666? Why not SSS? Doesn’t that seem to be a strange polyalphabetic substitution cipher?

6. How can anyone assign any sinister meaning to this when they produce ONLY ONE EXAMPLE. They MUST show other examples of the use SFS to be even REMOTELY credible. I can’t find any other examples. So, this leads me to beleive it is of “local” signifacance only (e.g. artist initals, order’s acronym, etc.).

7. This seems dangerously close to slander, since there seems to be a total disregard for the truth or falsity of the statement, or at least any sufficient proof offered. Those who repeat this accusation uncritically also seem to be acting without charity or regard for the Truth. Is it “Bearing false witness”? Perhaps. And we should be on guard against that.

These are just some thoughts off the top of my head. I don’t know how persuasive they are, especially to someone who uncritically accepts the allegation. I think your best bet is to demand they produce even *one more example of its use first. *

What do you think?

Good luck,
VC

Well I’ve figured out where that picture came from:
aloha.net/~mikesch/monstr.htm
Now I need help with figuring our exactly where it came from and what it means.

This is so bizarre and outlandish that I don’t know what to say. You’d think people would have better things to do. :whacky:

I think that “New Illustrated Great Controversy” book that the picture was taken from is somehow tied to the SDA’s

historical.benabraham.com/

The picture does not even have Greek or Hebrew letters in it. By his logic he could just as well say…

*The picture has the letter S which kind of looks like a greek letter that has a numerology value of 6! What is more, the second letter, “F” we’ll call it, does not have a value of six. BUT it comes from a Hebrew origin of the letter Vau. This Vau was the sixth letter in the Hebrew alphabet! Furthermore, the Greek letter digamma is in reality, two gammas! They have a value of three! And as we all know, two multiplied by three is SIX! Yet there is more! This “Digamma” looks suspiciously like an F! And in the pagan world, F,O, and X all mean six. Therefore S,F,O, and X all have values of six.

FOX = 666
in
SOX = 666

DR. SEUSS IS THE ANTICHRIST!*

I found it. This guy’s an SDA.

aloha.net/~mikesch/wheel.htm

He’s got a whole website devoted to this stuff.

I agree, Severinus, but some folks just don’t have anything better to do. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any and all help

Mark

A google for SFS comes up with some interesting options. :wink:

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]SFS I think stands for the society of the Sacred Heart
[/quote]

Br. Rich, you wre correct about the Sacred Heart:
cathinsight.com/apologetics/adventism/monstr.htm

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

Why do you think SFS has something to do with the Sacred Heart besides the fact that an image of the Sacred Heart is below the acronym?

The article you linked to doesn’t seem to directly link the two?

Just curious,
VC

[quote=Verbum Caro]Mark,

Why do you think SFS has something to do with the Sacred Heart besides the fact that an image of the Sacred Heart is below the acronym?

The article you linked to doesn’t seem to directly link the two?

Just curious,
VC
[/quote]

I didn’t. Br. Rich thought it might. I could not read the inscription, but the website I linked to seemed to also indicate that.

Maybe I should email the Vatican and ask someone there. :rolleyes: :eek:

I still don’t know what SFS means.

That’s the part I should email the Vatican on.

ding, ding, ding…

Could it be …
SFS= Sine Fraude Sua : Latin, With No Deceit used in epigraphy

Epigraphy: the study of texts written upon durable materials (stone and metal especially), i.e. inscriptions. This area is mainly the study of tombstones, dedicatory inscriptions, and official texts meant to be kept in public areas.

This is not of course the “official” answer, but it makes sense.

I read the first page of the website aloha.net/~mikesch/wheel.htm

According to this man’s logic, Washington DC is pagan…there is a huge obelisk in the center of the Mall!!!

My dad’s car is pagan…there are four-way spokes on the wheels!!!

The Virginia State Capital building is a pagan temple…there is a “sunburst” in the rotunda!!! painetworks.com/photos/ib/ib2225.JPG

Paganism is everywhere!!! We must abandon geometric designs altogether, lest we be consumed by fire!! :wink:

-ACEGC

[quote=bamark]I found it. This guy’s an SDA.

aloha.net/~mikesch/wheel.htm

He’s got a whole website devoted to this stuff.

I agree, Severinus, but some folks just don’t have anything better to do. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any and all help

Mark
[/quote]

You are correct. :smiley:

I’m doing a search in every language I know to find a better picture or the source of this monstrance. The Musei Vaticani site has nothing on it (English or Italian).

I’ll let you know if I find anything. Unless the sun-shaped objects surrounding me suddenly induce me to start worshipping Babylonian demons…

Arrrrgh! I just looked into the washing machine! Round…with spoke-like…things…my Kenmore’s a pagan device! It all makes sense! KEN = knowledge and MORE = more. Ken-more is obviously a reference to gnostic beliefs! And my tires bear the winged foot of the pagan god Mercury! FORD must stand for False, Old, Roman Deities!

I’d get out the Holy Water, but we keep it in a sort of round wall font under a statue of Ishtar/Astarte/Eostre!

Just a little side note:
Ellen White in Latin = Helena Alba. The name of a woman of pagan myth and alba, which can also mean auspicious or lucky.

[quote=severinus]You are correct. :smiley:

I’m doing a search in every language I know to find a better picture or the source of this monstrance. The Musei Vaticani site has nothing on it (English or Italian).

I’ll let you know if I find anything. Unless the sun-shaped objects surrounding me suddenly induce me to start worshipping Babylonian demons…

Arrrrgh! I just looked into the washing machine! Round…with spoke-like…things…my Kenmore’s a pagan device! It all makes sense! KEN = knowledge and MORE = more. Ken-more is obviously a reference to gnostic beliefs! And my tires bear the winged foot of the pagan god Mercury! FORD must stand for False, Old, Roman Deities!

I’d get out the Holy Water, but we keep it in a sort of round wall font under a statue of Ishtar/Astarte/Eostre!

Just a little side note:
Ellen White in Latin = Helena Alba. The name of a woman of pagan myth and alba, which can also mean auspicious or lucky.
[/quote]

:bowdown:

:rotfl:

Severinus,

You’re on a roll dude :thumbsup:

MUST…RESIST…TEMPTATION TO…TURN THIS…INTO ANOTHER…JACK CHICK TYPE THREAD…MUST…RESIST…THE VOICES…ARE NOT…MY FRIENDS…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.