The Morality of making negative political ads

Hello,
I’m an Illustrator by trade, and while I almost never do political ads, I have been asked by a friend to do one featuring a number of politicians effectively “stealing Christmas” because of Obamacare. I don’t know much about the politics, but I know that my friend is a Republican conservative so what I do know is that the ad is going to poke fun at politicians in a Seussian manner.

Honestly, I hate negative campaign ads because I think they violate Christ’s teaching to treat others the way we want to be treated. My friend (who is also a Christian) has made a point of saying that he doesn’t want to be derisive, mean-spirited or nasty with the ad, but he does want to poke fun at the person the ad is about. I guess if I was running for office, I wouldn’t mind being poked fun at, but I would want to make an effort to make sure that if I poked fun at someone, it would be in regards to the issues and not the person himself. That’s one of my greatest problems with doing Illustration, I feel like I have to wholeheartedly endorse everything about what I’m illustrating or I can’t do it.

What do you guys thinks?

Wow! Ethical illustration! :thumbsup::wink:

So… I shouldn’t do the ad?

I think as the illustrator, you will be one the to control the tone of the ad; as a professional, I am sure you can come up with ads that your client likes and do not violate your principles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.