The Mormon Church

Can the mormon church be the “true church”" of Christ

Do you really believe that some guy dug up some gold plates? And don’t get me started on their polygamy, even if it is now banned.

If it is then it would have to be the true reformed church of Christ simply because it didn’t exist until the 19th century; keeping in mind, as everyone here knows, Mormonism denies key doctrines of Christianity. For example , how can it even be considered a branch of Christianity when it denies the Trinity teaching that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones (D. & C. 130:22) and that Jesus is part of creation? :confused:

It’s impossible on many accounts, and I’ll only give two.

[LIST=1]
*]It is not continuous with the Church that Christ founded. Not only do its bishops lack apostolic succession (Joseph Smith and his associates did not have Holy Orders), but Mormon theology even holds that the Church actually died out shortly after the time of the apostles.
*]Its theology of the Trinity and its theology of the Incarnation are absolutely incompatible with divine revelation. (Its theology of the Trinity is why Mormons must be baptized when they convert to Catholicism, but not Protestants.)
[/LIST]

it is not banned. The PRACTICE is banned. Polygamy is STILL doctrine

I would not say it is absolutely impossible, but it is highly unlikely.

It is nearly historically and theologically impossible that it is, the fact that the Church never went into apostasy alone should be enough evidence that Joseph Smith was wrong. He was practically a con-artist. Im not gonna argue with anyone trying to deny this, Im just stating my opinion

Read the Book of Mormon.

Now read an American history book.

You tell me, can God really make THAT many errors if he’s really God?

You have to admit though… it was a pretty good con. Joseph Smith was able to recognize that the true Christian church required baptism, priesthood ordinances, and sacraments (although LDS sacraments are much different than traditional Christian sacraments). That being said, he had been a Methodist so he could have just seen that they have such ordinances and put them into his church.

The one thing I am left wondering is how has the LDS faith survived so long, and how is it that not one of the men claiming to be prophet since Joseph Smith has come out and admitted its a farce? I know if I got to the top of the ladder and ound out it isn’t what it claims to be I wouldn’t live a lie.

Power and money.

And geographic isolation…and evil men. Even today, the Mormon leadership knows there is nothing buried in Cumorah New York. If there was, they would have excavated this ancient battlefield and shown the world that the Mormon church was true. And they would have stopped sending out missionaries. They could convert the whole world but they don’t, they won’t because there is nothing there. Joseph Smith made it all up and the current leadership knows it. Those in Utah are no longer isolated as the internet has made the world a much smaller place and the truth is getting out.

Did Brigham Young really say no one would ever walk on the moon? (from another thread).

If you believe in the Bible then absolutely not. The Holy Bible, God’s only Sacred Scripture, condemns any other Holy Book.

“But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach [to you] a gospel other than the one that we preached to you, let that one be accursed!”

~Galatians 1:8

Why do you ask? Have you read the Book of Mormon? Did you gain a testimony of its truth that you are now questioning?

“We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true.” (from the introduction to the Book of Mormon)

All are very Good Post,THANKYOU But I do not see one post from the Mormons

You’ve asked a simple, yes or no question, the answer to which is obvious to any Mormon. If you explain and expand your question so people understand the purpose behind it, you may get more responses, including ones from Mormons.

Yes, indeed the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church of Christ. Of course this begs the question as to why I could say such a thing. The other day I commented on this matter in another thread but let me give a shortened version of it here...

How do we know the truth of any subject? A person may speak to us of religion, history, science or geography but their words alone do not indicate what they say is true. Even if 10,000 people believe it to be so it still does not make it true.

To ultimately know a person must investigate the matter himself. In science one performs experiments. In geography a person visit a location. Religion is similar, Jesus, speaking of gospel doctrine says, "If any man will do his will he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God or whether I speak of myself" (John 7:17). Here then is the test. Exercise enough faith to follow what someone says is true. If one follows actually wanting to know the truth one will receive it in their mind and heart. This person will then know independent of others words.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it - he will be blessed in what he does (James 1:22-25 NIV)

This then is how I know Joseph Smith spoke the truth. I tested his words myself. Not with the intent to discredit but to find the truth. I read the Book of Mormon he claimed to have translated through the gift and power of God. I lived the laws and commandments he said came from God. And I prayed to know if it was true. As I have done these things I have felt the truth for myself over and over again and need not another man to tell me. For I have lived it, I have felt it, and I have experienced it, and though all men tell me otherwise it does not change the fact that I know.

Personal experience is the key. It opens the door to personal revelation and allows the spirit to confirm what one previously merely believed. By hearing the word, personally applying it, and then receiving confirmation from the Holy Ghost one can grow in truth. This process establishes a sure foundation in one’s life. I testify that by consistently following this process truth is clearly understood. Over years a foundation of understanding, as given by the Spirit, is formed.

Reading the experiences of others, or the revelation given to them, can never give us a comprehensive view of our condition and true relation to God. (Joseph Smith, History of the Church 6:50)

The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask it from books, but to go to God in prayer and obtain divine teaching. (Joseph Smith, History of the Church 4:425)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.