The Most OVERated TV Shows of all Time

Taking a break from Apologetics for something lighter....

This thread is for anyone to sound off on whatever TV show that it seems like the whole world praises, but you just don't get.
I'll start with mine:

MASH.
This show was the most unfunny (the humor is incredibly forced), disjointed, whiney, preachy, overacted TV show of all time. The first few years are decent enough (although many of the plots looked like they were lifted from other military sitcoms of the past). The final years were almost physically painful to watch they were so bad. The finale is unwatchable. IMHO.
SEINFELD
Due to the fact that I was working nights and raising a child when it was on, I missed what TV Guide called 'the greatest sitcom of all time'. So I caught it in re-runs.
And I don't get it. It has it's moments, but 'the greatest of all time?' Not even close. IMHO

Okay, I got that off my chest, your turn.
;)

*OVERrated: Grey's Anatomy, Oprah, ER, and Friends.

Underrated:

Joan of Arcadia...great great show but went off the air a few years ago, just didn't have the viewers. :(

According to Jim--this is a cute sitcom*

Oprah, Friends, and John and Kate Plus 8.

If you ask me, obama is the most over rated show on tv these days. Funny, yes it is, but very over rated.

OVERRATED: The Gillmore Girls, OC, Gossip Girl, The Office (just don’t get it :confused:) and ALL reality shows. Actually most of TV now is overrated. There have been shows that started out fine but then got into politics. There are a couple of shows, Grey’s Anatomy for one, that I did enjoy, but then got tired of the introduction of homosexuality.

MY FAVES: Bones, Ugly Betty and reruns of Emergency! and Fraiser.

Here’s an under-rated show:
A Nero Wolfe Mystery.
It stared Maury Chakin and Timothy Hutton and ran for two years on A&E in 2000 to 2002. Intelligent dialogue, stayed very close to the Rex Stout books with very intricate plots. The acting in it was great.

[quote="whatevergirl, post:2, topic:184359"]
*OVERrated: Grey's Anatomy, Oprah, ER, and Friends.

Underrated:*

Joan of Arcadia...great great show but went off the air a few years ago, just didn't have the viewers. :(

According to Jim--this is a cute sitcom

[/quote]

I sat through one episode of Friends, and I've seen so many unfunny people trying so hard to be funny and not succeeding.:D

Nip/tuck(gross and unbelievable soap opera)
Sopranos(overdone)
Mash-I totally agree with the preaching that hits you over the head ALL THE TIME!
Almost any of the series run on HBO,Cinemax
Don't get Madmen at all.

[quote="juliamajor, post:8, topic:184359"]
Nip/tuck(gross and unbelievable soap opera)
Sopranos(overdone)
Mash-I totally agree with the preaching that hits you over the head ALL THE TIME!
Almost any of the series run on HBO,Cinemax
Don't get Madmen at all.

[/quote]

Except for Big Love and Curb...I really enjoy(ed) Curb when it was on, and really enjoy currently, Big Love. Sopranos...eh...if you grew up in Joisey as an Italian in some parts, it's not as far fetched as it looks. :p

LOST:shrug: Have no clue where that show is going…

Seinfeld( don’t find that kind of humor funny… I love Everybody loves Raymond, Will and Grace, etc)
Brothers and Sisters… ALL of the characters grate on my nerves… ICK!

I know loads of peopel who LOVE all 3 of these shows… I just don’t “get” them!

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:184359"]
This thread is for anyone to sound off on whatever TV show that it seems like the whole world praises, but you just don't get.
I'll start with mine:

MASH.
This show was the most unfunny (the humor is incredibly forced), disjointed, whiney, preachy, overacted TV show of all time. The first few years are decent enough (although many of the plots looked like they were lifted from other military sitcoms of the past). The final years were almost physically painful to watch they were so bad. The finale is unwatchable. IMHO.

[/quote]

Agree generally, but I liked the David Ogden Stiers and Harry Morgan characters. There was a time when everyone's mom thought Alan Alda was so wonderful and sensitive but I never saw the appeal then (at the time preferring my heart-throbs to be under the age of 20), and I can't see it now.

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:184359"]
SEINFELD
Due to the fact that I was working nights and raising a child when it was on, I missed what TV Guide called 'the greatest sitcom of all time'. So I caught it in re-runs.
And I don't get it. It has it's moments, but 'the greatest of all time?' Not even close. IMHO

[/quote]

No fair snaffling the best pick for yourself! ;)

Everyone was so WHINY, Heaven help us. There was not a single character on the show that I would want to so much as have lunch with in real life. And most of the jokes were so mean that even when they were funny (which wasn't as often as you might think), I felt a little guilty for laughing.

I watched a little of Gray's Anatomy once. Yech. Also over-rated. You don't have to watch it week after week to understand what's happening, but you do have to watch it week after week to care.

And there isn't a single reality show that I would waste even a half hour of my life watching.

Some of the series that USA puts out aren't bad, and they aren't chock full of sex, either. Psych is fun, and I'll miss Monk now that it's over. But be VERY CAREFUL if you are taping off that channel in the middle of the night, because some of the commercials are VERY off-color. You're pretty safe before midnight, though.

--Jen

I never saw a Seinfeld episode, so no opinion.
I do think MASH was a very funny show, amid the rather serious backdrop.
Two of my personal favorites were the Dick Van **** Show and the Andy Griffith Show.

Almost everything done in the last 20 years or so

That said, I saw about 15 minutes of an episode of Seinfeld and sat there thinking “this is funny :confused:

Past that, based solely on the ads and teasers, I found most shows like Friends, Mad About You, Frasier and all the reality shows to be totally unfunny and totally unentertaining at best, and downright offensive at worst.

Now – on the other hand – you might ask – what the heck do you watch. Lotsa movies! Old movies!

But, because my wife is Canadian, we have a Canadian satellite dish (all legally paid for every month – no signal stealing or anything), even though we are in the states. So that means we have enjoyed some great shows like:

On CBC: DaVinci’s Inquest - This is Wonderland - Little Mosque on the Prairie
On CTV: Corner Gas

In fact – we haven’t watched ABC./ CBS/ NBC/ Fox etc in years!

God bless

Tony

The first show that came to my mind is Friends. I watched a few episodes and never could figure out what everyone was laughing at. It was very lame.

But the show that I think is horribly over-rated is House. Yuck. Not funny, badly-acted, and pointless plots.

I disagree about M.A.S.H. My dad was on the front lines in Korea–he was camp cook and autopsy assistant, and he received the Purple Heart. In other words, not a slacker or a whiner. He and I used to watch M.A.S.H., and he agreed with everything that was said in the “preaching” and said that the show was exactly the way it was over there. It’s the only time I ever heard him talk about his war experiences–while we were watching M.A.S.H. I think preaching is OK if it’s the truth. And I think the show helped keep the Korean War and those who served over there in the memories of Americans.

[quote="Cat, post:14, topic:184359"]
The first show that came to my mind is Friends. I watched a few episodes and never could figure out what everyone was laughing at. It was very lame.

[/quote]

You'd hate me then. I'm a pretty huge fan. So is the rest of my family. :o The show employs a kind of sarcasm that I like using. :o

I agree, it’s pure Hollywood.
The wounded during the Korean War isn’t funny.
Seinfeld was nonsense. I didn’t waste my time watching it.

bluelake

Survivor. I mean, seriously? People are watching this, why?)

... and American Idol.

ducks under table

You do realize, don’t you, that there is a lot of joking around among medical professionals. I work in the hospital lab, and you don’t want to know some of the stuff we say.

It’s not disrespect for the patient. It’s pressure release for those of us who hold those patients’ very lives and health in our hands. It’s a tough job, and we use humor to keep ourselves sane.

So of course, the wounded aren’t funny. But the stuff that medical pros say IS funny.

I have enough British comedy in my DVD collection to prove I have no problem with dark comedy. The trick is however, how it is done. MASH started out on the right foot, it was straight comedy with an occasional dramatic moment suddenly interrupting the comedy. By the time it ended, it was a straight drama with occasional 'comedy'. And the comedy fell flat.
Without getting into the politics of the show (which I despise), they simply didn't seem to know how to do an anti-war satire. Two of the greatest anti-war comedies were Horse Feathers with the Marx Brothers and Blackadder Goes Forth in the UK. MASH can't hold a candle to either of these.

Others mentioned 'reality shows'. I seriously cannot imagine how any of these shows can hold anyones attention.

Overrated:
Scrubs, Nip Tuck, Modern Family, That 70's Show

I do like:
The Simpsons, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Middle ( I really enjoy this new show)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.