The most religious counties of every state in the U.S

In addition, the data show comparative state-wide participation in religious services.
I think that those numbers may be a surprise to some who conflate liberalism and godlessness.

For example,
Massachusetts: Religious service attendance: 57.2% of state pop. (8th highest)
New Jersey: Religious service attendance: 54.7% of state pop. (16th highest)
Missouri: Religious service attendance: 49.3% of state pop. (23rd lowest)
Arizona: Religious service attendance: 37.2% of state pop. (9th lowest)
West Virginia: Religious service attendance: 35.5% of state pop. (8th lowest)

Yeah … well … how many years did Teddy Kennedy RIP serve in the Senate?

On the other hand, the article lists 50 counties.

So, tells us of the value of cherry-picking.

As of 2016, there were 3,007 counties, 64 parishes, 18 organized boroughs, 11 census areas, 41 independent cities, and the District of Columbia for a total of 3,142 counties and county-equivalents in the United States.

Forty years. Why do you ask? I assume it is not because you think that one’s political persuasion is more probative of religious activity than church attendance.

Not sure of your point.
I though that the data of statewide participation was interesting.
There are only 50 states; I linked to data on them all and highlighted items that I thought may be surprising.

“probative”

yes indeed

That remark lends itself to many interpretations; not many are good… Perhaps you would like to clarify your point.

I’m also not sure what you are getting at. My understanding is that cherry picking is the selective inclusion and exclusion of data to support an assertion or suggest some conclusion. Is this what you believe is happening? If so what is the conclusion that you believe is being suggested?

1. Jefferson County, Alabama
    • Religious service attendance: 83.9.% of county pop.
    • Religious service attendance: 62.9% of state pop. (3rd highest)
    • Congregations in county: 18 per 10,000 people
    • Congregations in state: 22 per 10,000 people (4th highest)

That is quite surprising considering Jefferson county is also a county that is “BLUE” home of the largest city ( Birmingham ) in Alabama.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.