The Mother of God

Do you believe that the Virgin Mary is the Mother of God? If not, please explain.

I have no doubt in my mind Mary is the Mother of God. Christ was fully human and fully divine. So if Christ was fully divine then Mary is the Mother of God.

Matt

[quote=Mickey]Do you believe that the Virgin Mary is the Mother of God? If not, please explain.
[/quote]

Mary is not the mother of the entirety of the Blessed trinity from all eternity. She is however, the mother of the Man, Jesus Christ, from the instant of the Incarnation. As this Man, Jesus, is also fully God as the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, Mary is Theotokos, the Mother of God, q.e.d.

Most non-Catholic Christians seem to be allergic to this title…I have never seen any problem with it. If one accepts the fact of the Incarnation, if one believes that Jesus Christ was God the Son in human form, then Mary is the Mother of God.
Now, I can understand that for those who do not believe in the Deity of Christ, there is a big problem here. But once we cross from there into genuine faith (even though we will not in this world, be able to fuly understand it), there is simply no other choice…Well, there is: one might insist on not using the words, like a child destroying his own playthings rather than let someone else play with them. But that seems to me to be intellectually dishonest, as well as futile; we end up with the same choice anyway.
The reasoning goes like this:
[list=1]
*]Jesus Christ is God in human form.
*]Jesus was born to the Virgin Mary.
*]Therefore, it follows, that Mary was/is the mother of God.
[/list]

To All Other Cristian Group They Don’t Beleive That Mary Was The Mother Of God.they Beleived That Jesus Is God.how Can They Claimed That Jesus Was God But To Disrespect And Disbelieved His Mother.

“he Who Does Not Believed That Mary Was Not The Mother Of God,is The Same That They Don’t Believe That He/she Has A Mother And The Christ Whom They Claimed And Worship Must Be The Other Christ Because Real Jesus Christ Was Born To A Virgin Woman And That Women Is Mary.upon Dogma Of Imaculate Conception.how Can You Claimed That Your Church Was In Christ(is God) But They Don’t Know Were He(jesus christ) Came From.by DISBELIEVING Of Mary By Such Teaching It Must Be A False Religion.”

The Bible Itself And The Apostle Respect And Believed That Mary Was The Mother Of Jesus Christ, Other Chistian Group Don’t Beleived ON IT So, It’s The Great Insult Of There Faith.

I have no problem with the title of Theotokos in its proper context. The common objection to the title Mother of God refers not to the nature of the title but to the misunderstanding of some. Thanks and God Bless:

Council of Ephesus

“We confess, then, our Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, perfect God and perfect man, of a rational soul and a body, begotten before all ages from the Father in his Godhead, the same in the last days, for us and for our salvation, born of Mary the Virgin according to his humanity, one and the same consubstantial with the Father in Godhead and consubstantial with us in humanity, for a union of two natures took place. Therefore we confess one Christ, one Son, one Lord. According to this understanding of the unconfused union, we confess the holy Virgin to be the Mother of God because God the Word took flesh and became man and from his very conception united to himself the temple he took from her” (*Formula of Union *[A.D. 431]).

:amen:

catholic.com/library/mary_mother_of_god.asp

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]Mary is not the mother of the entirety of the Blessed trinity from all eternity. She is however, the mother of the Man, Jesus Christ, from the instant of the Incarnation. As this Man, Jesus, is also fully God as the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, Mary is Theotokos, the Mother of God, q.e.d.
[/quote]

Luke 1:43–how is it that the mother of my Lord should come to me?, was Elizabeth’s exclamation to Mary.

(NO offense to any Catholics!! Because as long as you’re with Jesus the rest of the stuff doesnt matter.)
First off Mary was just another tool of God. That doesnt make her on the same plataeu as Jesus Christ or higher. She was a way another way of proving that Jesus was God by God planting a seed in a virgin and then have Jesus enter theworld through the miracle of a virgin giving birth. Yes she gave birth to Jesus, but that doesnt put her on the same level of holiness as God. Mind you Mary made mistakes.
-April:wave:

[quote=april_hosen](NO offense to any Catholics!! Because as long as you’re with Jesus the rest of the stuff doesnt matter.)
First off Mary was just another tool of God. That doesnt make her on the same plataeu as Jesus Christ or higher. She was a way another way of proving that Jesus was God by God planting a seed in a virgin and then have Jesus enter theworld through the miracle of a virgin giving birth. Yes she gave birth to Jesus, but that doesnt put her on the same level of holiness as God. Mind you Mary made mistakes.
-April:wave:
[/quote]

And which mistakes would those be?

More to the point - how do mistakes equate with not being Mother of God? Mistakes do not equal sin, by the way.

The Blessed Mother, the Immaculate Conception made mistakes??

She was the mother of Christ who was sinless. She also was sinless which is why she was assummed into Heaven. Please…

…Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us SINNERS, now and at the hour of our death…AMen

Every human has made a mistake or has sinned theres no getting around that. I dont know what Marys sins were but I’m positive she had sinned. Mary was not the equivilant of God on any factor-that was point. She was human, thats why she died. Jesus didnt die. God never died. Do you see where I’m gettin at?:slight_smile:

No no no, hehe. Thats like saying well since my dad’s a Pastor and he’s good with God then I’m good with God too. Being sinless isnt hereditary. :wink:

[quote=april_hosen]Every human has made a mistake or has sinned theres no getting around that. I dont know what Marys sins were but I’m positive she had sinned. Mary was not the equivilant of God on any factor-that was point. She was human, thats why she died. Jesus didnt die. God never died. Do you see where I’m gettin at?:slight_smile:
[/quote]

I think sometimes we as humans, find it very hard to think that Mary could possibly live her whole life without sinning. What most of us don’t take into account is that when she was conceived without sin she did not take on the burden of original sin. Nobody outside of Jesus, Mary, and St. John the Baptist knows what it is like to live without original sin. The temptation for Mary to sin was most likely there, but being free of original sin as well as the grace God gave her she was able to live a sinless life which I believe.

April,I had a question about what you meant when you say Jesus didn’t die. He died for us on the Cross and was Resurected on the third day. Please explain what you meant by this. Thanks.

God Bless,
Matt

[quote=april_hosen]Every human has made a mistake or has sinned theres no getting around that. I dont know what Marys sins were but I’m positive she had sinned. Mary was not the equivilant of God on any factor-that was point. She was human, thats why she died. Jesus didnt die. God never died. Do you see where I’m gettin at?:slight_smile:
[/quote]

Please provide biblical evidence that Mary sinned.

When and how did she die? Did she die?

Was she assumed into heaven before she died?

Was she assumed into heaven after she died?

Chapter and verse please.

[quote=april_hosen]I dont know what Marys sins were but I’m positive she had sinned.
[/quote]

Where’s your proof Mary has sinned?

She was human, thats why she died. Jesus didnt die. God never died. Do you see where I’m gettin at?

There are two views on this: one is that she was assumed to heaven. Though not in the Bible, there are precedents of this, such as Enoch and Isaiah. The other view, held by the Orthodox Church, is the Dormition, or Mary simply fell asleep, but was bodily assumed to heaven (if my reading about the Dormition is correct).

Thank you, Milliardo. Sounds like we’re on the same page here.

[quote=april_hosen]No no no, hehe. Thats like saying well since my dad’s a Pastor and he’s good with God then I’m good with God too. Being sinless isnt hereditary. :wink:
[/quote]

Hi April -
The Immaculate Conception is a Catholic teaching which took a loooong time to develope. It was established by Pope Pius IX in 1854. newadvent.org/cathen/07674d.htm To this day it is controversial. Even our Orthodox brethren don’t accept it.

Something interesting happened in 1858. Mary appeared to the child Bernadette in Lourdes, France identifying herself in the words: *“I am the Immaculate Conception.” *This only seemed to confirm the Catholic belief only four years after the dogma was declared.
rosary-center.org/ll50n6.htm

Then, in another apparition, Our Lady appeared to five children at Beauraing, Belgium: Fernande, Gilberte, Albert, Andrew, and Gilbert in thirty-two apparitions from November 19, 1932, until January 3, 1993. On December 21, 1932, Our Lady identified herself to the childrensaying, ‘I am the Immaculate Virgin.’ The children saw a golden heart in the center of Mary’s chest. On January 3, 1933, she said to Andrew, ‘I am the Mother of God, the Queen of Heaven. Pray always!’" marypages.com/beauraingEng.htm

These apparitions received the approval of Rome after years of investigation.

How about that? Cool, or what?
Subrosa

[quote=april_hosen]No no no, hehe. Thats like saying well since my dad’s a Pastor and he’s good with God then I’m good with God too. Being sinless isnt hereditary. :wink:
[/quote]

No, young-child-with-much-to-learn, being sinless is a Grace. And Mary had that much Grace. In fact, she was full of it. hehe.

Hi Marty,
I probably should of reworded that a bit. What I meant is Jesus died but when he resurected he overcame death. Do youunderstand what I’m trying to get across? :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.