The movie 'Red State'

If you saw it, read a review, what’s your opinion about it?

[quote="divinefaith, post:1, topic:261049"]
If you saw it, read a review, what's your opinion about it?

[/quote]

Based on the visual style, if I hadn't known it was the work of Kevin Smith, I never would've guessed it came from him - very different than his previous work, visually speaking. Also, Michael Parks gave a phenomenal performance.

don't think I'll see this one. This just fills the wrong ideas about christians into the minds of the impressionable minds of the atheists who jump on things like this to hate christians. Obviously the whole execution thing and what not is a bit far, but just the beginning with a church protesting a homosexuals funeral just sets a dangerous precedent against christianity for any who watches it. Glad Kevin Smith is done with movies.

[quote="BigFellaMick, post:3, topic:261049"]
don't think I'll see this one. This just fills the wrong ideas about christians into the minds of the impressionable minds of the atheists who jump on things like this to hate christians. Obviously the whole execution thing and what not is a bit far, but just the beginning with a church protesting a homosexuals funeral just sets a dangerous precedent against christianity for any who watches it. Glad Kevin Smith is done with movies.

[/quote]

The sad thing is, there have been Christian groups who hold hatred towards others. Not too sure if there surely were violent groups who killed, but some hold verbally abusive messages. A friend of mine told me this movie was based on a true story with a cult killing others, not certain but I do want to research that.

The movie did show that this evil cult did have a few attendees at their church, therefore I dont think most viewers would say all Christians are like that. It was visible that this was an evil cult.

[quote="divinefaith, post:4, topic:261049"]
The sad thing is, there have been Christian groups who hold hatred towards others. Not too sure if there surely were violent groups who killed, but some hold verbally abusive messages. A friend of mine told me this movie was based on a true story with a cult killing others, not certain but I do want to research that.

The movie did show that this evil cult did have a few attendees at their church, therefore I dont think most viewers would say all Christians are like that. It was visible that this was an evil cult.

[/quote]

I'll just rephrase the bolded line: Not sure about any contemporary Christian groups who are killing those who oppose their beliefs. But there are those who are holding a very disrespectful attitude towards others.

I think the bad guys in this movie were supposed to be based on the Phelps family and fair enough they are horrible examples of Christians and horrible people in general. Not only do they hate gay guys with a passion, they hate Jews, they tried to ruin Heath Ledger's funeral as well as succeeding in ruining the funerals of many young soldiers and disrespect their grieving families because of their disgudting and warped view of God, they hate our Holy Father too. They say when Catholics die each one of us will split hell wide open, same goes for other Christian denominations that disagree with the Phelps's sick ways. However the general public dont realise this probably because its not as widely reported as the homophobia and the anti-semetism. So because of this selective media reporting and movies like Red State, alot of people will be tricked into believing that because the Phelps family are Christians (I dont know how they dare to call themselves that) and the bad guys in this movie are Christians, all Christians must be that way. I really feel if a gory sleazy movie was made about muslim terrorists it would be slammed by the critics and would be called offensive and small minded as it portrays muslims in a bad light and perpetuates the racist idea that all muslims are terrorists when they are not. This would be a fair enough statement, but when films like this deamonize Christians no one bats an eye lash. Also if the characters in Red Sate are indeed based on the Phelps (the similarities are too accurate for them not to be based on them) I think its a shame that anyone would give those awful people yet more attention because thats exactly what they want.

[quote="divinefaith, post:4, topic:261049"]

[/quote]

I hope you're right. I do believe alot of non-Christians will realise most Cristians are not like that at all, however there will be many who will believe it. :(

In Australia, this movie was made NOT to be shown at the cinemas for a long time. I think that was the choice of the movie directors, they prefer it becomes sold on dvd . Dont know about the USA and other countries and I think (not certain) that the director decided on this because he didnt want the movie to be contrevertial.

[quote="ASimon, post:2, topic:261049"]
Based on the visual style, if I hadn't known it was the work of Kevin Smith, I never would've guessed it came from him - very different than his previous work, visually speaking. Also, Michael Parks gave a phenomenal performance.

[/quote]

I think Kevin Smith did set out the movie really well, and Michael Parks along with the other actors were great.

[quote="CrazyRachel, post:6, topic:261049"]
I think the bad guys in this movie were supposed to be based on the Phelps family and fair enough they are horrible examples of Christians and horrible people in general. Not only do they hate gay guys with a passion, they hate Jews, they tried to ruin Heath Ledger's funeral as well as succeeding in ruining the funerals of many young soldiers and disrespect their grieving families because of their disgudting and warped view of God, they hate our Holy Father too. They say when Catholics die each one of us will split hell wide open, same goes for other Christian denominations that disagree with the Phelps's sick ways. However the general public dont realise this probably because its not as widely reported as the homophobia and the anti-semetism. So because of this selective media reporting and movies like Red State, alot of people will be tricked into believing that because the Phelps family are Christians (I dont know how they dare to call themselves that) and the bad guys in this movie are Christians, all Christians must be that way. I really feel if a gory sleazy movie was made about muslim terrorists it would be slammed by the critics and would be called offensive and small minded as it portrays muslims in a bad light and perpetuates the racist idea that all muslims are terrorists when they are not. This would be a fair enough statement, but when films like this deamonize Christians no one bats an eye lash. Also if the characters in Red Sate are indeed based on the Phelps (the similarities are too accurate for them not to be based on them) I think its a shame that anyone would give those awful people yet more attention because thats exactly what they want.

I hope you're right. I do believe alot of non-Christians will realise most Cristians are not like that at all, however there will be many who will believe it. :(

[/quote]

Thanks Rachel. I will research the Phelps family. You have very good points :)

You’re welcome mate. Your research on the Phelps will either make you laugh or cry. They call Catholic priests, “vampires!” If it wasnt so sick it would be rather funny.

As pointed out that is based on Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church who routinely do such things. Indeed for a long time their website had a clock showing how long (in their opinion) a murdered gay teenager had been in Hell for due to his been gay in life. They’re a pretty unpleasant bunch who have come up on the forums many times. Two of their spin-off websites are called ‘JewskilledJesus’ and ‘Priestsrapeboys’, that should give you an image of the kind of well balanced and intelligent outlooks coming from that source. Here’s a ‘news article’ on their site below. It’s one of the few things that I can show to illustrate their outlooks as much of their other reports are pure filth:-

AMAZING! NYC WOMAN IS IN A COMA AFTER BEING STRUCK WITH A FALLING SHOPPING CART

Two 12-year-old boys dropped the cart four stories, hitting her while she was buying Halloween candy.

GodSmack!

God is avenging himself on NYC for promoting sodomy and criminalizing gospel preaching.

The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves. Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings. Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him. As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths. (Isa. 3:9-12.):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.