The Movie "Seven Pounds"

Unable to forgive himself or raise the dead, Tim sets out to give “pounds of flesh” that will give new life to seven deserving individuals to make up for the seven lives he destroyed. Just as Antonio would have to die to pay Shylock the “pound of flesh” he demands, Tim intends to kill himself to atone for his sins.

This movie seems to justify suicide. You have to see the movie to understand what I am talking about.

Will Smith’s character could not forgive himself for a mistake that anyone could have made. The movie sends the wrong message about tragedies that happen in our lives. I would prefer a message of “Suicide is not the answer.”

Very disappointed in this movie which further promotes the Culture of Death.

Seems like that’s mostly what is coming from Hollywood these days. Thanks for the warning. Doesn’t sound like anything I’d want to see. :frowning:

Darn. From what I’d seen about it, it looked interesting, and I was wanting to see it. Now, not so much. :shrug:

Well, I saw this movie yesterday…and I tend to agree that it made his suicide seem like a blessing for seven other people who Will Smith’s character judged to be “good and deserving of his organs to allow them more earthly life.”

But I guess what needs to be defined clearly here is…under what circumstances is an act declared a “suicide”?? I would imagine that is different for different faiths…but what is Christianity’s/Catholism’s definition of suicide??

Just about anyone can “spin” this and say that:
Jesus committed suicide by doing God’s will and allowing himself to be crucified…

Stephen committed suicide by being a devout christian in front of many blasphemy trigger happy stoning Jews…

A pedestrian willingly stepping in front a fast moving bus…

Will Smith’s character willingly laying in a tub with one of the most poisonous jelly fish on earth…*

Maybe, Is it not a suicide if its for a “good cause”?? Jesus died for our sins…stephen was martyred for spreading christianity…pedestrain, well nothing good from that i think…Will Smith’s character, died so others can have more earthly life…

are this good causes?

I saw the movie today. Sure, as a Catholic I had a problem with Tim’s suicide, but still I found the movie quite powerful. I think it is worth seeing.

Sorry about the repeat message, but I posted before without completing it.

I saw the movie today. Sure, as a Catholic I had a problem with Tim’s suicide, but still I found the movie quite powerful. I think it is worth seeing, if only for the fact that one can see what desperation a person that has no faith goes through because they cannot forgive their own sins.

I think it is worth seeing, if only for the fact that one can see what desperation a person that has no faith goes through because they cannot forgive their own sins.

This is a good point. I do not watch the show “Intervention” because I approve of drug abuse, but because I feel it is important to better understand the struggle of addicts and what it takes to turn them around, or what causes them to ultimately hit six feet under.

Its interesting Will Smith is also a scientologist.

According to an article I just read, he may be close friends with some Scientologists, but he doesn’t appear to be one.

Of course, the article was on wikipedia, so take it for what it’s worth. :shrug:

Just watched the movie.

About half way through I started to figure out where it was going. My gut feeling was “propaganda”.

Suicide for the purpose of organ donation is a totally acceptable conclusion, as is suicide and euthanasia, if you do not believe in God.

Let’s face it! Life sux! If all we believed we faced was oblivion, most people would chose to kill themselves when life got too much for them.

Personally (and I speak as a Catholic who does not believe in this) I don’t understand why more atheists don’t commit suicide. I think it is because they aren’t really as sure as they make out.

I remember a priest telling me about the “Atheist 's Prayer”:

Oh God, if there is a God, save my soul, if i have a soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.