Shroud show clearly that they were nailed through the wrists,
and not the hands as are depicted on our crucifixes. If the
Shroud is indeed authentic, then one must correct the images
on our crosses, should we not? Or, do you consider the wrists
as part of the hands? Should one not have it cleared up, and show
the nails properly on a crucifix in the wrists, and not the
hands?
[/quote]

The Shroud is not yet proved to be genuine but even if it is what difference does it make about the position of the nails?
Would that shake your faith somehow?

No, it only makes it stronger! :slight_smile: I do believe from the recent tests
from the scientist who passed this year, has proven the Shroud to
be 100% authentic :slight_smile: I only wanted ot know if we sould not correct
our crucifixes, that was the main question :slight_smile:

[quote=Marilena]No, it only makes it stronger! :slight_smile: I do believe from the recent tests
from the scientist who passed this year, has proven the Shroud to
be 100% authentic :slight_smile: I only wanted ot know if we sould not correct
our crucifixes, that was the main question :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Oh! Okay. I tend to believe its genuine but I was not aware there had been some new tests. Do you happen to know what they were?

Testing to determine the ethnicity, plant tests, blood typing.
All came from a Jewish male approximately 33 years of age, 2,000 years ago in Jerusalem. There were more tests. I will find the link and post it later here after church.

If you like CSI-type stuff, you might enjoy this read… konnections.com/Kcundick/crucifix.html

The author supports the notion that the wrists were piereced, but that wrists were considered part of the hand in Christ’s day. The Tau cross he references are popular in Franciscan communities.

[quote=Marilena]Testing to determine the ethnicity, plant tests, blood typing.
All came from a Jewish male approximately 33 years of age, 2,000 years ago in Jerusalem. There were more tests. I will find the link and post it later here after church.
[/quote]

I’m unaware of any test on the shroud that can show the age of the victim, especially this accurately.

However, victims were nailed throught the wrists. Nailing through the palms would never support the body weight of a man on a cross.

But you should know that nailing through that position on the wrist (right below the ring finger) is excruciatingly painful. There’s a major nerve there, and the pain runs all the way from the fingers to the elbow.

Another way in which Jesus offered Himself up for us.

That was thought before but new tests have shown that indeed the hands (not wrists) would support the weight of a man. Without the feet being nailed to the cross a man weighing 200 pounds could be supported and with the feet being nailed to the cross a weight of 1000 pounds can be supported.
You should get the book called A Cruxifiction of Jesus: A Forensic Enquiry by Frederick T. Zugibe, M.D. PhD.
EWTN sells the book and Zugibe appeared on an EWTN program too.

Jesus was definitely nailed through the wrist.

The only dating testing conducted on the Shroud of Turin that I know of (although I think there may have been a new one more recently) showed the date to be around 4th Century or something like that. That being said, there have been other tests, all of which show Jerusalem as being its geographical origin. Two other things to be said about the origin: 1) the image is burnt away as though by a burst of radiation. As radiation is a very new discovery, this clearly couldn’t be man-made, and 2) although the carbon dating testing showed 4th Century or so, there is definitive historical data showing it to be older. Combined with the fact that the shroud was in a fire around the 4th Century, that leaves two possibilities. Either the Vatican submitted one of the newer cloth particles to scientists, or some nuns in the 4th Century used radiation to duplicate the original image. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that the first choice seems more logical.

The only thing that gets me is why Saints with the stigmata like Saint Francis bleed from the hand rather than the wrist. Frankly I’m not particularly concerned by this, but I do find it somewhat odd. Oh well.

[quote=Aaron I.]Jesus was definitely nailed through the wrist.

[/quote]

I assume you are talking about the man of the Shroud being nailed through the wrists as shown in the photos.
Nobody knows that Jesus was nailed through the wrists. None of us was there.

[quote=deb1]This is my opinion only. I think that miracles such as stigmata are not done merely for God’s glory-although that is part of it-but also for our benefit. I have read that when Mary appears she is often the race-or similar-to the race of her observers. I think that this is because to God accuracy is not as important but bringing us closer to him is. If a person believes that the nails were in the hands, God would be loving enough to let their stigmata appear in the palms rather then leave the person confused.
[/quote]

This is my thinking as well. It is not the exact location, but the symbolism that is important.

I believe the Shroud of Turin is real. The nails in the Hands of Our Dear Lord to me just are a symbol of His giving us the Sacrament of the Eucharist. Given with His Blood so that all may be saved. He hands us our salvation. The sigmata of St. Francis and St. Pio are restating this. Jesus gave all His Blood for us, the chosen sigmatists tell us again.

[quote=thistle]I assume you are talking about the man of the Shroud being nailed through the wrists as shown in the photos.
Nobody knows that Jesus was nailed through the wrists. None of us was there.
[/quote]

Just an observation, but would not the hands pull away from the nails if any weight were put on them? Perhaps the wrists would be a more secure place? I don’t know, just supposing.

Uh guys, I remember a History Channel presentation on this, and the carbon dating put it… didn’t it put it somewhere smack-dab in the Middle Ages?

Or has this since changed? Or been refuted? (Or am I totally wrong?)

[quote=RobNY]Uh guys, I remember a History Channel presentation on this, and the carbon dating put it… didn’t it put it somewhere smack-dab in the Middle Ages?

Or has this since changed? Or been refuted?
[/quote]

It has since been proven that the piece taken from the shroud was indeed part of a repair patch sown in during the middle ages by the Poor Clare nuns.

It was not part of the original.

In Christ.

Andre.

[quote=Magicsilence]It has since been proven that the piece taken from the shroud was indeed part of a repair patch sown in during the middle ages by the Poor Clare nuns.

It was not part of the original.

In Christ.

Andre.
[/quote]

Thanks.

Have they redone any tests on it since?

Do you have any links that discuss the repair patch and how it “overturned” the previous dating?

At our Church we have the Risen Christ behind the Altar and His Wounds are in the Wrist.

I recommend the following article, which is critical of Barbet’s claim that Christ was nailed in the wrists. It is both medically possible and congruent with the evidence of the shroud of Turn that Christ was nailed in the upper palms.

Pierre Barbet Revisited
by Frederick T. Zugibe, M.D., Ph.D.
Adjunct Associate Professor of Pathology, Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons, N.Y., Chief Medical Examiner, Rockland County, N.Y. (Retired)
shroud.com/zugibe.htm

WHERE THEN WOULD THE WOUND HAVE TO BE MADE TO BE CONSISTENT WITH THE SHROUD? Before answering this question, REMEMBER- the hand wound image is located on the back of the hand and only depicts the EXIT of the nail not its ENTRANCE. WE DON’T SPECIFICALLY KNOW WHERE THE NAIL ENTERED!

… The upper part of the palm of the hand … NOT THE MIDDLE OF THE PALM. This area is equally as sturdy as either Destot’s Space or the radial area indicated above and would emerge at the site depicted on the Shroud.

Not to jump topics, but this should be addressed…

[quote=Rebecca New]At our Church we have the Risen Christ behind the Altar and His Wounds are in the Wrist.
[/quote]

If you’re a Latin Rite Catholic and you don’t have a crucifix at the altar, you should bring this to the attention of your priest:

[font=MS Reference Serif][font=MS Reference Serif][font=Palatino Linotype][font=MS Reference Serif][font=Arial]

The cross used at the altar should have the image of the crucified Lord on it. (GIRM 117, 122, 308)

If your priest knows and doesn’t care, bring this to the attention of your bishop. If your bishop doesn’t care, bring this to the attention of the USCCB. If the USCCB doesn’t care, bring this to the attention of the Pope. I’m serious. This is disobedient to the Church, and has no place in Catholic worship.

God Bless,
RyanL
[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.