The Name of God

If I’m not mistaken, the word used for the Name of God is not the same for all languages. I think that the means to pray to God or refer to Him is sacred and the words themselves are holy only because of their usage as His Name. Do we speak our earthly languages in Heaven? In Heaven, is there a need to refer to God by a Name since all are in union with Him?

I think in Heaven we would communicate more with the mind than with words although once we receive our bodies back after the general judgment, we would also be able to speak with words. Think of how the angels speak without using words and all the people in heaven now without bodies. They know and have an understanding beyond words.

As for names for God, the Bible lists many, and writing a list would be a good exercise including names for each Person of the Blessed Trinity. Here’s a few for God in the OT:

Adonai, Elohim, El Shaddai, Jehova, Yaweh, the Almighty, the Creator . . .

(Jesus called His Father Abba).

For the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, there are many names:

Suffering Servant, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Lamb of God, Yeshua, God-Man, King of the Jews, Lord of hosts . . .

I’m sure a google search would turn up a bunch more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.