The Narrow Gate of over 2 Billion

I heard a non-Catholic Christian say that the Catholic Church can't be the true Church of Jesus Christ because it is too large, having over 2 billion members worldwide. I was also told that the Bible says that wide is the gate that leads to hell and many shall find it and narrow is the gate that leads to heaven and only a very small number of people will find it. My question is that if the Catholic Church is so large, what did Jesus really mean when He said that only a few would find the narrow gate that leads to life?

This premise, that the Catholic Church cannot be real because of what Jesus said, is a non-sequitur, for a variety of reasons.

First, not all Catholics are practicing Catholics, and a great percentage of them (I fear) are on the road to Hell.

Second, the Church has not always been this large. In the earliest days of the Church, there were only thousands of Christians, before it exploded across the Roman Empire.

Third, think of the total number of people who have lived in the history of the world, and how many of those have been Catholic, and then narrow down that small number of Catholics to how many actually make it to Heaven. Obviously it’s impossible to know how many people have ever existed, since we do not have a solid idea of how old man is nor the population of the world at all given times, but when you think about it, there really has always been a small percentage of Catholics.

Last, I’m not sure where you got this “over 2 billion” number. I had heard something closer to 1.2 billion, but I don’t know for sure.

[quote="Catholic4Jesus, post:1, topic:318869"]
I heard a non-Catholic Christian say that the Catholic Church can't be the true Church of Jesus Christ because it is too large, having over 2 billion members worldwide. I was also told that the Bible says that wide is the gate that leads to hell and many shall find it and narrow is the gate that leads to heaven and only a very small number of people will find it. My question is that if the Catholic Church is so large, what did Jesus really mean when He said that only a few would find the narrow gate that leads to life?

[/quote]

According to the Vatican, there are 1.18 billion Catholics worldwide, not 2 billion.

Our Lord meant live our lives according to the commandments and His teachings. Those are the ones who will find, enter through the narrow gate.

Sorry, I meant to type 1 billion not 2 billion. I don’t know why I did that.

No worries, Catholic4Jesus! :smiley: I’d run out of fingers trying to count the times I’ve mistyped. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="asia53, post:5, topic:318869"]
No worries, Catholic4Jesus! :D I'd run out of fingers trying to count the times I've mistyped. :p

[/quote]

I'd run out of eyelashes!!

[quote="asia53, post:5, topic:318869"]
No worries, Catholic4Jesus! :D I'd run out of fingers trying to count the times I've mistyped. :p

[/quote]

Over 2 billion? ;)

[quote="Texsain, post:7, topic:318869"]
Over 2 billion? ;)

[/quote]

Okay I get it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.