"The Nativity Story" (2007)

I finally just watched this on DVD - what a great movie, and a superb retelling of the Nativity. The cast looked like authentic people from the time and place. I think this just became my favorite Christmas movie.

What did you all think of it?

I thought that it was a really good movie. I watch it every Christmas season.

I love it. My wife hates it.

I have this movie and I really like it. I am going to make a habit of watching it every Christmas.

I like it, but after finding out that Joseph was more likely an older man (I was raised Protestant, so didn’t know this), the guy who plays him seems egregiously miscast.

I liked it but was bothered by somethings. The circumcision of John was off as was the Wisemen visiting the night of Jesus birth:shrug:

[quote="Arizona_Mike, post:1, topic:260349"]
I finally just watched this on DVD - what a great movie, and a superb retelling of the Nativity. The cast looked like authentic people from the time and place. I think this just became my favorite Christmas movie.

What did you all think of it?

[/quote]

A very good movie that I bought one or two Christmases ago. I'll be watching it again this year! :thumbsup:

Yeah, This is such a amazing movie and i also like to watch it.

Do you want my opinion on this movie? Sorry for sounding mean buts its trash. Pure trash made by people who don’t understand who the Blessed Virgin is.

They depict the Blessed Virgin as a moody teen who is always sad and depressed and whose family hates her and want to marry her off, contrary to the image of the Blessed Virgin who is the perfection of all Christian virtue: Mary was always happy serving God and even when bad things happened, such as the passion of Jesus, She accepted Her sufferings as coming from God and gave them to Him. She didn’t complain or whine or pity Herself in Her misfortune, She did everything so that good may come out of evil. Plus, they completely ignore the fact that She spent the first twelve years of Her life in the temple of Jerusalem, a fact proven by the Church as it celebrates Her presentation in the Temple on November 21. Mary here is shown as being just your ‘normal’ moody teen and not the virtuous maiden She truly is. Its as if God chose Mary at random and didn’t prepare Her from before Her Immaculate Conception to be His Mother.

They butcher Saint Joseph’s character. Instead of presenting him as the noble, chaste man who came from the house of David, they show him as an ignorant peasant with bad manners and what not and who is always pining after Mary. First, don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being a peasant or not having noble blood obviously, but even if Joseph (or Mary for that matter) didn’t have noble blood, they’d still have noble manners and a noble heart as this movie so fails to show. In fact, Mary proved Her nobleness and Her love for us once and for all by giving us Her Son and by becoming the Mother of God and of us all.

There is even a scene where Saint Joseph (or bearded idiot, as that is not Saint Joseph) is going to stone Mary until he is stopped by ‘angel’.

Saint Joseph would never stone Mary. He loves Her with his whole heart and he also regarded Her as a Saint. It’s the reason why he was so worried and anxious in the first place that Mary was pregnant with a child that wasn’t his; he didn’t want to believe that Mary, so pure and so holy would commit adultery and go against Her vow of virginity and fidelity not only to himself but to God but he couldn’t find real logic between the fact that she appeared pregnant (maybe She gained weight?;)).

In fact, lets talk about the way the marriage is depicted. Instead of the majestic act of God that the Church teaches, it is instead shown as a day to day act, with no supernatural hint or a blessing from God.

The Church never even thaught that Mary was an unwed Mother. Its a myth spread by modernsits to dehumanize Mary. Otherwise, how could Joseph, Her husband be able to divorce Her quitely? (Matt 1:18-19) Why would Jesus want to degenerate Mary’s dignity so that people may think She was an adulteress? Howcome nowhere is it mentioned that people thaught She was an adulteress? How come it is never stated they wanted to stone Her?

Also, and I don’t mean to be crude here, since Mary was 12 years old when She married Joseph, wouldn’t that make him a pedophile? I mean, if Joseph was so holy why would he try to get married to a twelve year old who can hardly consent to marriage, especially at that time where arranged marriages were so common? Why did he wait three years AND after the Virgin birth to exploit this innocent girl?

The answer is that Joseph married Mary for the exact same reason She married him: God told Them to so They obeyed. We know Mary did it out of obedience of God because She had a vow of virginity and this is proven when She says ‘how shall this be done since I know not man?’ If Mary wanted children so much and knew that they’re brought about by sex, why was She so concerned about having sex if She was still going to perform it?

We also know that Joseph took a vow in virginity (or celibacy) because he would never willingly marry a twelve year old and abuse her for his own carnal pleasure. He’s Saint Joseph, he would never commit acts of pedophilia. This is not to say that Mary and Joseph’s marriage was unloving: in fact, Mary loved Joseph intensely and He loved Her back and according to Fulton Sheen, after the passion of Jesus, seeing Saint Joseph suffering because of Her was the second saddest experience of Her life. But both agreed on staying Virgins and instead of being an occasion of sin, their living together increased their chastity.

One of the worst things about the movie is that there are very little elements to the supernatural. Sure, there is that ‘angel’ who can transform into a hawk but not even this angel is shown right. Instead of seeing a supernatural being, he looks like a beggar. There is no joy in this movie that we’re looking at the birth of the Saviour or seeing the experience of being the Mother of God. What joy does it bring you, what suffering does it being the Mother of God bring? When I saw this movie, I didn’t see Mary or Joseph, I saw two random teens who, according to the director are supposed to be ‘relatable’ to other teens.

Even as a movie itself, it sucks. Its is too needlessly gritty, with little jokes and joy of experiencing something new. Instead of giving us the Nativity story, it was made just to cash in on the recent success of the Passion of the Christ which, despite its blood and gore, had alot of passion (no pun intended) and love put into it, the rilmmakers knew what they were doing and gave a solid Catholic experience. There, I flipping saw Jesus and Mary, not actors!

Lets see now, what other film did directress Catherine Hardwicke produce?

http://image.take40.com/300x400/twilight_movie_poster_300x400.jpg

I rest my case. They just didn’t care: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyJustDidntCare

[quote="Disinherited, post:9, topic:260349"]
Do you want my opinion on this movie? Sorry for sounding mean buts its trash. .

There is even a scene where Saint Joseph (or bearded idiot, as that is not Saint Joseph) is going to stone Mary until he is stopped by 'angel'.

Saint Joseph would never stone Mary. He loves Her with his whole heart and he also regarded Her as a Saint. It's the reason why he was so worried and anxious in the first place that Mary was pregnant with a child that wasn't his; he didn't want to believe that Mary, so pure and so holy would commit adultery and go against Her vow of virginity and fidelity not only to himself but to God but he couldn't find real logic between the fact that she appeared pregnant (maybe She gained weight?;)

How come it is never stated they wanted to stone Her?

Lets see now, what other film did directress Catherine Hardwicke produce?

http://image.take40.com/300x400/twilight_movie_poster_300x400.jpg

I rest my case. They just didn't care: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyJustDidntCare

[/quote]

The scene where Joseph went to stone marry until the angel stopped him was a dream. That is scripturally based(Matt 1). They took artistic lisence with the details but it is still faithful to the Bible.

Your last quotes tells me that you had already made up your mind theis film before you even saw it

It was not marketed as a Catholic film, so you are over reacting.

LOL... don't hold back Disinherited. Tell us how you really feel. :D

well, This is nice movie.

“Bearded idiot”? So you’re a Linkara fan?
A TV tropes reader, too? :thumbsup:

[quote="BradburyReader, post:13, topic:260349"]
"Bearded idiot"? So you're a Linkara fan?
A TV tropes reader, too? :thumbsup:

[/quote]

CAUSE I AM A MAN!!!!!

Yep. Fitting as I'm writing a book (about the Blessed Virgin no less!) and both Linkara and the Nostalgia Critic and especially TV Tropes helped me to form the plot and what not. However, be careful from the crude language. While Linkara's are rather tame, the critic's can waver between being crude to overtly unnecessary although both are very, very funny. I especially like the Critic's review of garbage pail kids and the Room. His dumbest Spiderman moments was the first review I saw. They lead me to be somewhat of a deadpan snarker and f you noticed, I am rather caustic and mean when I review this piece of garbage of an idiotic piece of trash of a poor excuse of a stupid, stupid movie. Its, its... PURE EVIIILLL.

I also like some of Spoony's reviews even though I don't play video games myself admittedly.

Now, I disagree with this film not being marketed as Catholic. Everyone knew the vatican hosted it (in a totally non-infallible and traitorous way) and they certainly built up on this hype. And even if it wasn't hosted, its still blasphemous because Protestants don't know or understand the Blessed Virgin at all. How can you say you udnerstand Mary when you refuse to call Her Mother of God, ever virgin, Mediatrix of all grace and Mother of all? If Mary saw that movie, do you think She'd call it a great tribute to Her and Her Son? If Jesus saw it, He'd throw the DVD to hell it sucks so much. Thia movie is this to me: youtube.com/watch?v=0ge4_0jF2nc&feature=related

[quote="Disinherited, post:14, topic:260349"]
CAUSE I AM A MAN!!!!!

Yep. Fitting as I'm writing a book (about the Blessed Virgin no less!) and both Linkara and the Nostalgia Critic and especially TV Tropes helped me to form the plot and what not. However, be careful from the crude language. While Linkara's are rather tame, the critic's can waver between being crude to overtly unnecessary although both are very, very funny. I especially like the Critic's review of garbage pail kids and the Room. His dumbest Spiderman moments was the first review I saw. They lead me to be somewhat of a deadpan snarker and f you noticed, I am rather caustic and mean when I review this piece of garbage of an idiotic piece of trash of a poor excuse of a stupid, stupid movie. Its, its... PURE EVIIILLL.

I also like some of Spoony's reviews even though I don't play video games myself admittedly.

Now, I disagree with this film not being marketed as Catholic. Everyone knew the vatican hosted it (in a totally non-infallible and traitorous way) and they certainly built up on this hype. And even if it wasn't hosted, its still blasphemous because Protestants don't know or understand the Blessed Virgin at all. How can you say you udnerstand Mary when you refuse to call Her Mother of God, ever virgin, Mediatrix of all grace and Mother of all? If Mary saw that movie, do you think She'd call it a great tribute to Her and Her Son? If Jesus saw it, He'd throw the DVD to hell it sucks so much. Thia movie is this to me: youtube.com/watch?v=0ge4_0jF2nc&feature=related

[/quote]

Yeah, the crude language and jokes are why I stopped watching the Critic and Spoony awhile back. I felt it'd be good to stay away from that for awhile, but I still watch some of the other reviewers.

Growing up as a Protestant I knew nothing about Mary except that she gave birth to Christ as a virgin, and that's about it. But a few years ago I came across some videos and writings online that handily convinced me that Protestantism was nonsense. I'm still doing research to be sure I pick the True Church from the other 2 choices. :)

Now that I know more, I am baffled why Protestants refuse to call her Mother of God. (Though I heard some of the misconceptions about Catholicism, I never heard much about it as a whole, so I never heard of this issue until more recently.) She gave birth to Jesus, and Jesus is God, therefore she's the Mother of God. It can't be any simpler. :shrug:

You have to wonder if they're purposely keeping the misconception alive so that they don't have to concede anything to Catholicism. It's a ridiculous notion to contend that Catholics mean she's greater than God or that she literally gave birth to God (all 3 persons) and that's where He came from. :eek: That's what they seem to be interpreting it as. Very misinformed.

Speaking of writing books, I have SO many ideas for stories and books, I hope I live long enough to complete them, as some are rather long storylines across many books. We're talking in some cases dozens. :D To some extent things in these fictional universes will be revealed little by little, so if I grow old and die before completion, I will have many confused readers. ;)

I think I'm over-using the smilies...:blush:

my mom and I saw this in the theater when it was released. I didn't buy the DVD. I liked the allusions like the cloth left on the manger. However, I still like the beginning of Jesus of Nazareth better and how they portrayed the nativity a lot better.

Nice Movie but not too much

I liked the movie but much preferred how "Jesus of Nazareth" (miniseries) handled everything so well from start to finish.

[quote="BradburyReader, post:5, topic:260349"]
I like it, but after finding out that Joseph was more likely an older man (I was raised Protestant, so didn't know this), the guy who plays him seems egregiously miscast.

[/quote]

I wonder when they will make the Eastern view of the story? Where's Mel Gibson when you need him? :D:D:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.