The necessity of eating the passover lamb in scripture

I was in a discussion with my dad (a Baptist) about how the Eucharist is the new Passover and how in the old covenant Passover the lamb had to be eaten. He stated that in the bible it states they had to put the blood on the outsides of the doors to have their first borns saved but doesn’t mention eating the lamb as imperative and that that was just made up by Jewish men not as a command from God. Does the bible say anywhere that the lamb had to be eaten for Passover (particularly the first Passover) ?

If you can check at the bottom of my post I have a book which I made. I went through different Catholic Apologetic Websites, books, and talks. and I have compiled all these things that the Church teaches.

There’s a section there in regards to the Eucharist. The first section is in regards to the Lamb in the Old Testament. God himself told the Israelites that not only did they have to spray blood but God himself said that they had to eat the lamb. They had to eat the whole Lamb. Check it out, its very detailed.

Exodus 12:7-8

[7] And they shall take of the blood thereof, and put it upon both the side posts, and on the upper door posts of the houses, wherein they shall eat it. [8] And they shall eat the flesh that night roasted at the fire, and unleavened bread with wild lettuce…

On what basis does he judge that part of God’s instructions are really God’s, and part of them are made up by men? Because he doesn’t like what the Bible says?

Actually, see Exodus 12:10 with instructions as to what to do with the leftovers.

Eating the lamb wasn’t an invention of men. It was a command of God…

The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, (Exodus 12:1)

and then…

***They shall eat the flesh that night, roasted; with unleavened bread and bitter herbs they shall eat it. Do not eat any of it raw or boiled with water, but roasted, its head with its legs and its inner parts. And you shall let none of it remain until the morning, anything that remains until the morning you shall burn. In this manner you shall eat it: your loins girded, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and you shall eat it in haste. It is the LORD’s passover. *(Exodus 11:8-11)

This wasn’t some guy making this up. These were God’s commands.

-Tim-

Just curious, why did they have to burn anything that was left over?

Anyone?

The tradition is strictly Jewish, and need not apply to those who follow the NT. Jesus removed requirements of ceremonial law for gentiles. For in depth information, if you just want to know for informational purposes, it’s all in exodus chapter 12.

The first verse is “And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying…”

It is implied by context that these were The Lord’s spoken commands to Moses that he was to give to his people.

verse 8 “And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.”

Because Go- said so. I’m not sure why. If there’s a reason that’s stated, I don’t know of it.

St. Alphonsus explains it in “The Sacrifice of Jesus Christ”:

All the people, together with the priest, had to be partakers of the victim. Hence, in the sacrifices, excepting the holocaust, the victim was divided into three parts, one part of which was destined for the priest, one for the people, and one for the fire. This last part was regarded as belonging to God, who by this means communicated in some manner with those who were partakers of the victim.

… The Sacrifice of our Lord, as we have said, was a perfect sacrifice, of which those sacrifices of the Old Law were but signs, imperfect figures, and what the Apostle calls weak and needy elements. … in the Mass … Communion or partaking of the victim consists in the distribution of the Holy Eucharist to the faithful who approach the altar for this purpose.

This practice is very common in ritual meals in many societies. It’s a way of separating the categories of sacred and non-sacred.

Because the meal was sacred, special. It was not to be mixed or confused with other meals or other events. The sacrifice was reserved for that special event, and it was to be used just for that event. Once it is dedicated to a holy purpose, it is never to be used for regular or profane events/things.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.