The New American Bible

Having recently returned to my roots the Catholic Church I have a question that I hope I phrase correctly. I am a serious and excited Catholic presently studying the Catechism as a means of getting as current as possible.
My problem or concern is the format (not content) of the new American bible I purchased, being use to the standard King James.
I might have erroneously chosen one with a non user friendly format but let me give you an example. I am in my catechism reading on Necessary Adaptions page 14 and reference (1Cor 9:22) so I go to page 1292 Chapter 9 and the format is totally cofusing.
Please advise if I need a study bible American version or a resource that explains this NAB /text/compact ISBN-10:0-8407-1289-8 ( just for clarification )

Please advise

Allen

I’d like to help, but I’m not sure what you’re asking. Can you clarify a little more what you are talking about when you say “the format is totally confusing”? I don’t have the Compact Version you are talking about, but in the other NAB versions I have, finding or reading the passage in question or it’s location is not a problem.

Maybe its just my 77 year old comprehension challenges
But i cor easy to find, chapter 9 easy as well, but the verse numbers do stand out. Guess I need a large print maybe. Thanks

If I remember right, the Compact Edition does have VERY small font which is one of the reasons I have not bought a “compact” Bible since my 40’s. I’m 52 now and, even with my reading glasses, as much as I read the Bible, I have to make sure that any Bible I get doesn’t have to be large, but really needs to be crisp and clear. :nerd:

Yes, you may need to invest in at least a full-size Bible. If funds are an issue, you can probably pick one up used at a used bookstore. Unfortunately, I always find a lot of Catholic Bibles at the two I frequent. :frowning:

The New American Bible is also online at usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml

You can adjust the size of the print so it’s completely readable.

Great Info thank you

Thanks again will give the used book store a shot. While perish I belong to has only 1 priest it is rich in history being 123 years old.
stmarysmexia.catholicweb.com/

In effort to get really involved going to a lector workshop.
Oh and your web site was really a plus
So glad I joined the community

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.