The New Douay-Rheims Bible- Gospels free PDF

I am posting a free PDF of my first volume of the Gospels from The New Douay-Rheims Bible. Check it out and see what you think! Its going to be in print soon. I am in the process of seeking a Nihil Obstant and Imprimatur for it. docs.google.com/file/d/1Z0e4RsyKmy0_mR2-Vb2JDolRTZpUUeMI63UE7omUGTJprkATHeIValtzAJZz/edit

I just skimmed through the first few pages, and I like what I am reading so far. Thanks for your work on this and for posting the link.

That looks wonderful! I’m not a Roman Catholic, but I’m very pleased to see someone undertaking this work. I’d love to attempt something similar one day.

I don’t actually own a DR, but I will try to get one in the near future.

Copland, I remember you saying you had set out to just update the spelling of the original DR but that you ended up makig other changes as well. Does this include updating vocabulary and grammar?

Thanks folks for the encouraging comments! As for changing some of my plans about the project, yes, I have decided to do more than change spelling, I have givin all names of people and places in their modern renderings, and have changed some of the sentence structures, though bare minimum, but enough to be faithful to the text and easier on the ears. But the goal is to keep it as close as possible to the Douay-Rheims of 1609 yet for the modern reader. All word changes have been footnoted, and most of those changes have been what Challoner changed. But to be quite honest about it, very little needed changing because the original Douay is not as hard to read as what it has been blamed.

Keep up the good work. I think anything that makes people read the Scriptures more closely can only be a good thing!

Looks good to me. I am D-R fan anyway.

Nice work so far. I love all the added commentary. :smiley:

Thanks again folks! By the way, all those footnotes are from the original Douay-Rheims of 1609, and there are tons of quotes and insights from the Early Church Fathers!

This is a much needed work. Those names as the appear in the Douay-Rheims – especially in the Old Testament – always trip me up!

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.