The New Normal?

nytimes.com/2010/03/21/fashion/21LOVE.html
Brief summary: A woman describes her life living with her ex-husband in the same home while her boyfriend visits. She ends the piece proclaiming how wonderful it is to have “two men” in her life. Yes, there’s a kid involved.

Granted, it’s the New York Times, but I suspect these types of scenarios will unfortunately become more and more common.

Isn’t the new normal great?

[quote="Nec5, post:1, topic:191833"]
nytimes.com/2010/03/21/fashion/21LOVE.html
Brief summary: A woman describes her life living with her ex-husband in the same home while her boyfriend visits. She ends the piece proclaiming how wonderful it is to have "two men" in her life. Yes, there's a kid involved.

Granted, it's the New York Times, but I suspect these types of scenarios will unfortunately become more and more common.

Isn't the new normal great?

[/quote]

This is just sad. Very sad. It seems people these days chose sin over Our Lord.

The guy who said the family situation was "sophisticated" is a complete and utter dolt. This is an example of both men using the woman and leaving the hard work to her. She even admits as such. If I were a woman, I would upset the NYT was promoting such disrespect for women and promoting the lack of responsibility for men in a relationship.

No, this is not normnal at all.

Think about it. The newspaper publishes stories of the odd and unusual, the unexpected and exotic. Normal is not news.

People who live bohemian lives, outside usual social standards, are not normal. They are outsiders, and not at all the norm.

Most people seek stable and loving monogamous relationships. That is normal.

This is insanity and selfishness masquerading as "tolerance".

I was going to say, "If you can live together as exes, then clearly things are not so bad that you should have ever divorced in the first place." After reading the whole article, I would say that this woman's ex is incredibly selfish, and probably incurably so. She really needs some therapy to draw up some proper boundaries and get the proper distance from him that she really needs. Their arrangement also is not what's best for her child. How confusing.

I'm really sorry for her, because if she was a Catholic, and had a Church to go to for guidance, she would probably have either never married such a man in the first place or would be well on the path to discovering that this man never intended to enter into a permanent, exclusive relationship or even had the foggiest notion of what sacrificial love was.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.