The New Orthodox Study Bible

Mine came today. I ordered the bonded leather cover.

Has anyone here ordered it? What do you think of it so far?

Just be aware that the study notes in it will not always support the Catholic Church’s teachings. Other than that, if one likes the NKJ for the New Testament then go for it.

But for $50.00 for the hardcover and $70.00 for the one you bought I think I can spend my money better else where. Especially since I have a rather large collection of Bibles as it is.

bpbasilphx is Orthodox.

That is fine but this is an Eastern Catholic forum so I though I would comment to make sure that Eastern Catholics are give full and correct information.

Contrary to what some believe, Eastern Catholics are Catholics and follow what the Catholic Church Teaches, especially regarding the Papacy which is one of the notes in the Orthodox Study Bible that does not match up with Catholic Teachings.

I ordered the same one, I thought there was a delay for it until June. :confused:

Mine has not arrived yet, thank you for the heads up :thumbsup:

If they are being shipped, that is indeed good news!

Orthodox theology is perfectly acceptable and valid for Catholics of any type.

I doubt that there is any mention of the Papacy in the OSB, positively or negatively. So it should not be an issue.

Michael

We have to be careful about what we mean with regard to this matter. Orthodox theology does deny tenents of the Catholic faith that have been defined in council or ex cathedra by the Pope.

Note from Moderator:

If you want to discuss Orthodox theology, please take it to the Non-Catholic Religions board. This thread is to discuss the New Orthodox Study Bible and its use by board participants.

Since it is a study bible with theological annotations, warning Catholics that the annotation is derived from EO theology is an important issue.

Specific annotations within the New Orthodox Study Bible which give members concern may be legitimately discussed. Arguing Eastern Orthodox theology and how it does or does not deviate from Roman Catholicism is a topic in its own right and should be moved into its own thread.

I own the original Orthodox Study Bible, the NT version, and I have to agree with justme.

Thanks for clarifying the difference.

I came back to the Catholic Church “through the Eastern door,” you might say, as I first checked into Eastern Orthodoxy before looking to Rome.

The Orthodox Study Bible notes will not support you in your Catholicism.

Actually, I learned on this board that the OSB was soon to be released.

I bought it, not so much for the notes, but because the OT was translated from the LXX.

The note on Isaiah 22 only points out to v. 20 to v. 25 that Eliakim will fall.

Why not?

It is in the theological/spiritual tradition of Byzantine rite Catholics, or do you disagree?

I pre-ordered my copy through my church and received it a few weeks ago. I am overall pleased. In several of the books there are small commentaries on how certain passages relate to the Church, the priesthood and the mysteries/sacraments of the Church. These commentaries are in addition to the footnotes. My only complaint so far is the paper–more see-through than I’m used to. But I’ve gotten over it. This Bible also has several icons inside of it.

I recommend Roman Catholics purchase this book, even if in a few areas the work implicitly rejects certain Roman Catholic positions.

Originally Posted by graceandglory:

I own the original Orthodox Study Bible, the NT version, and I have to agree with justme.

Thanks for clarifying the difference.

I came back to the Catholic Church “through the Eastern door,” you might say, as I first checked into Eastern Orthodoxy before looking to Rome.

The Orthodox Study Bible notes will not support you in your Catholicism.

Are you now Eastern Catholic?

I second this post. I do not see the problem with say someone in the UGGC or Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church reading the OSB. If it is like the OSB-NT, the commentary is simply awesome and doesn’t hint at anything negative towards Catholics.

I’m still waiting for my free Orthodox Study Bible. :slight_smile:

this New Orthodox Study Bible IS different than the Eastern Orthodox Bible now being submitted to the various orthodox patriarchs for review and blessing, correct??
the NOSB is translated from the KJV or NKJV, not that I am convinced that that is such a terrible thing, but isn’t the EOB coming out this year from the ecumenical patriarch angle a fresh translation from the handed down Greek septuigint (or however you spell it, sorry), and going to include without apology the deutrocanonical books of the O.T., and all that? It seems that one may be the one to look for.
I am hoping any study note stuff at the bottom of the page will at least acknowledge the primacy of the decendants of Peter, whether it’s a primacy of honor or whatever, that seems to be an acknowledged historical fact, and hopefully, the notes on that, or other notes that tie in with Catholic dogma perhaps will come at them from an ecumentical angle [ie. the way that certain later declared dogmas are or can be understood from an eastern perspective, and therefore might not need to be rejected as heresey, (ie.the Immaculate Conception… “…O Immaculate One” ~ from Orthodox prayer book) well, ok, maybe I should just put down the crack pipe, huh…:frowning: ] At any rate, I am looking forward to that one.

I got mine about one month ago–but I have connections. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.