The Next "Great Schism"

As in the secular world, there is a strong push in the Catholic Church for a more liberal leadership. Many more liberal Catholics would like to see the next Pope to be accepting of Priest being able to marry, women becoming priest, acceptance of homosexuality, and so on and so forth.

[quote=mjf150]As in the secular world, there is a strong push in the Catholic Church for a more liberal leadership. Many more liberal Catholics would like to see the next Pope to be accepting of Priest being able to marry, women becoming priest, acceptance of homosexuality, and so on and so forth.
[/quote]

It is for this reason that I would like to see an Inquisition and root out the heretical dissenters. Unfortunately, some of them see their “almsgiving” and weekly collection offerings as sort of “downpayment” on church property, and if large segments of the church decide to “opt-out” of the church and start their own renegade congregations, they will sue their parishes for property rights.

The new Pope will not make a change to ordain women or marry homosexuals because these things came from Jesus. No Pope will ever make those changes. You poll is based on something that cannot be changed by a Pope.

[quote=mjf150]As in the secular world, there is a strong push in the Catholic Church for a more liberal leadership. Many more liberal Catholics would like to see the next Pope to be accepting of Priest being able to marry, women becoming priest, acceptance of homosexuality, and so on and so forth.
[/quote]

If the Church changed the preisthood it would prove that the Church was never the Church. I would not consider a new break because it would only be coming from what was not true. I would probably become an Orthodox. But, I don’t think there is any chance that they are going to change anything.

Presits should not get married, they knew what they are getting into, and they accepted it. You can’t go back and turn your word away from god.

[quote=Scott_Lafrance]It is for this reason that I would like to see an Inquisition and root out the heretical dissenters. Unfortunately, some of them see their “almsgiving” and weekly collection offerings as sort of “downpayment” on church property, and if large segments of the church decide to “opt-out” of the church and start their own renegade congregations, they will sue their parishes for property rights.
[/quote]

:clapping: http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/REDDANCE.JPGGo get em’ Scotthttp://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/rainbowdance.gif

OBEDIENCE AND SUBJECTION

IT IS a very great thing to obey, to live under a superior and not to be one’s own master, for it is much safer to be subject than it is to command. Many live in obedience more from necessity than from love. Such become discontented and dejected on the slightest pretext; they will never gain peace of mind unless they subject themselves wholeheartedly for the love of God.

Go where you may, you will find no rest except in humble obedience to the rule of authority. Dreams of happiness expected from change and different places have deceived many.

Everyone, it is true, wishes to do as he pleases and is attracted to those who agree with him. But if God be among us, we must at times give up our opinions for the blessings of peace. Furthermore, who is so wise that he can have full knowledge of everything? Do not trust too much in your own opinions, but be willing to listen to those of others. If, though your own be good, you accept another’s opinion for love of God, you will gain much more merit; for I have often heard that it is safer to listen to advice and take it than to give it. It may happen, too, that while one’s own opinion may be good, refusal to agree with others when reason and occasion demand it, is a sign of pride and obstinacy.

Thomas Kempis - Imitation of Christ Book 1 Chpt. 9

I don’t think the next Pope would jump into a liberal stance. The RCC has never been liberal and I see no indication of change now. Morality itself is not liberal, as moral absolutes have always been in place and will remain in place.

However, allowing for married priests and even women priests as far as I know have never been prohibited. I don’t know all the canon laws and doctrines, so maybe there is some ruling against this that I’m not aware of.

Priests who have already made vows should not suddenly denounce them. New priests may be given the option, but even that I don’t see in the near future.

As far as homosexuality, the Bible already condemns homosexual activity so the Church can not and should not change its stance on that.

wc

However, allowing for married priests and even women priests as far as I know have never been prohibited. I don’t know all the canon laws and doctrines, so maybe there is some ruling against this that I’m not aware of.

At one time men in the ministerial priesthood could marry in the Latin (Roman) Rite. It is a discipline only that they be unmarried. However, it has proven to be a good one for the Western Church and there is very little chance it will change.

As for women in the ministerial priesthood, it would be a complete novelty. One not support by Sacred Tradition, which is why JPII wrote that the Church has no authority to ordain females to the priesthood.

[/quote]

Even if the next pope is an extreme liberal he can’t change anything in regards to womens Ordination or acceptance of homosexual life style, nothing, it’s cast in stone forever. The only possible way is if Christ is a liar and the Holy Spirit fails to protect the Church from false teaching.

FWIW, here are some thoughts…

The Church, as founded by Christ and guided by the Holy Spirit, is perfect and eternal.

That Church cannot be “split” with a schism, great or small.

Matthew 16:18 – And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

I think if the Pope did go against doctern, then he would have to move out and make his own religion because we know what is right and what isn’t.

The problems with labels is that they are meaningless without context. The Church will remain free from doctrinal error and that is what is primarily important.

[/quote]

Sir, if this heretical **** happens at the very heart of our holy church, I wll leave catholicism, and will entirely loose all faith and favor in God, for he was the one who lead me to the catholic church

[quote=Valtiel]Sir, if this heretical **** happens at the very heart of our holy church, I wll leave catholicism, and will entirely loose all faith and favor in God, for he was the one who lead me to the catholic church
[/quote]

Val, I appreciate your passion. Remember that Jesus Christ gave us the Holy Spirit to protect the Church from this very sort of thing. Take comfort in that, if nothing else.

Error will never be taught by the Catholic Church, it has been promised the Holy Spirit forever.

And IF there were something I didn’t like i would never abandon the one, true, catholic and united Body of Christ. (or condemn myself to some other church for that matter :wink: )

There have been some popes in the past that have been downright scoundrels. Did people leave the church back then? I believe the words of Jesus when He said that the gates of Hell will not prevail. Why would I** even **consider leaving the Church. Should we not answer as did the twelve "Lord, who shall we go to?"
What message was John Paul the Great always giving.
“BE NOT AFRAID”. Should we not take those words into our hearts and stop all this worrying about what the next pope is or is not liable to do? Stop speculating and instead just pray to the Holy Spirit to guide our Cardinals.

Quit all this jabbering about, “WHAT IF, WHAT IF, WHAT IF”. My God, where is you faith people!!! Many Catholics seems to be running around scared like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off…

Open your bibles and read Matthew 6:25-34. **Stop worrying and start trusting in Providence. **What good does it do to have these “Polls”. Will your answers effect the outcome? Our Heavenly Fathers knows what we need.

[/quote]

The “secular world” you are talking about is mainly the US (and the few Catholics who still exist in western Europe). Most of the Catholic world is not pushing for strong liberal leadership. They are pushing for food, sanitation, housing, jobs, etc.

I do agree though that all the positive media blitz on JPII is a message from the “world” to have another Pope like him (or even more liberal). My opinion is that JPII was somewhat liberal. but also very orthodox on many critical doctrine (i.e., women’s ordination, abortion, etc.).

MJW

When the next schism comes, it will undoubted arise from within the ranks of those who are advocating changes in doctrine. Not from those of us who do not.

Agreed, I feel that the schism will not be begun by the Pope, but from others in the ranks and laymen. IT is they who will leave the Church… or maybe even ‘kick us out’ of it… so they’d think :stuck_out_tongue: in any case, the true Church will always exist in some form.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.