The Next Pope

I don't know if this is the right forum, or if it has been posted recently, but, out of the current Cardinals who do you want to see elected as the next Pope?

Personally I'd love to see Cardinal Arinze elected, that is if the Pope were to die in the next 2 years.

I don’t care, as long as it is one who will DO SOMETHING to punish Priests who commit sexual crimes, and the Bishops who covered it up. As in…turn them over to the legal system after stripping them of all Church protections, positions, and privilages

There are four sins that cry to heaven:crying:

Isn't the next Pope predicted to be the last one, according to the prophecies of St. Malachi?
:hmmm:

isent this kind of like walking on the proverbial grave of Pope Benedict?

[quote="Nowhere_Man, post:1, topic:180213"]
I don't know if this is the right forum, or if it has been posted recently, but, out of the current Cardinals who do you want to see elected as the next Pope?

Personally I'd love to see Cardinal Arinze elected, that is if the Pope were to die in the next 2 years.

[/quote]

I don't really have an opinion here. I'm sure the Holy Spirit will guide the right man to the position of St. Peters office.

I totally agree.

[quote="BVM_1221, post:2, topic:180213"]
I don't care, as long as it is one who will DO SOMETHING to punish Priests who commit sexual crimes, and the Bishops who covered it up. As in...turn them over to the legal system after stripping them of all Church protections, positions, and privilages

There are four sins that cry to heaven:crying:

[/quote]

It is not the role of the pope to punish, but to guide. As the shepherd, his role is to guide the bishops to do what has to be done for the good of the Church. Popes do not see themselves as being executioners, but as shepherds and holy men.

Obviously, such crimes are far from holy. But they are only one issue that any pope has to deal with. We must always pray for a pope who can deal with the issues that are presented to him as best he can, not for a pope who will be an executioner. That is not his role.

As to stripping, the only "stripping" that a pope can do to these men is to laicize them, if they are diocesan priests. If they belong to a religious order, you can't even do that. Then, the only thing that the Church can do is to suspend their faculties outside of their religious houses. From that point on, what happens is up to the major superior and the council of the order. The pope cannot take away anyone's priestly powers, even through laicization. He does not have such authority or power. The Sacrament of Holy Orders is permanent. They will always be priests nor can the pope deny them absolutioin or require that any other priest deny them absolution. Once the absolution has been granted, neither the pope nor any Catholic can demand that they be denied the sacraments or full participation in the sacramental and spiritual life of the Church or any parish, especially the Eucharist, which is a privilege for all of us. They simply are reduced to living as lay people, but they remain inactive priests or bishops. There is already such a law in place. Bishops can request immediate laicization of diocesan priests involved in child abuse. Religious superiors can remove and suspend. They cannot request laicization, because religious have both Holy Orders and vows. The process is much more complex. However, both bishops and religious superiors are supposed to cooperate with civil authorities once they have informed the Vatican of the problem.

All that being said, it is one thing for the bishops to cooperate with civil authorities and to create systems to protect children and it is another to build a papacy around the role of an executioner, rather than a pastor and a leader.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :)

[quote="Richard_James, post:6, topic:180213"]
I totally agree.

[/quote]

Amen.

I will love and respect any pope that the holy spirit picks.:D

…then please start by capitalising the word Pope. :wink:

Actually, he’s grammatically correct. You capitalize a title when you’re speaking about The Pope vs a pope or The President vs a president. For example we write our holy Father Francis, because that’s his title. But otherwise we write “Francis is our father.” Brother Francis vs the brother.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :christmastree1:

Who? Any relation to all those predicting the end of the world on 21 December 2012:rolleyes:

[quote="Nowhere_Man, post:1, topic:180213"]

[/quote]

God forbid.

Are you hoping Pope Benedict XVI dies in the next 2 years? :confused:

St. Malachi never made a single prediction. None are mentioned in his early biographies. The predictions appeared hundreds of years later, and are loose enough to fit anything. People were discussing how Arinze fitted the most recent entry in the list before Benedict was elected, and I’m sure it has been the same with every Pope. If Arinze had been elected, we would make it fit him. If someone else entirely were elected, it would fit him.
Other than that, I’d rather not speculate and pray that Pope Benedict has a long life, and many more years as Pontiff.

Now, you had to go and show me up there didn’t you?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

i’M SOWWY

[quote="JReducation, post:17, topic:180213"]
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

i'M SOWWY

[/quote]

You are forgiven.

Not wishing anything on anyones head, I'm sure the Holy Spirit will decide whats best for us.

Praying that Pope Benedict lives for many more healthy years! What a great guy :p

I don't know about the cardinals enough to say which ones I like... but actually that's weird, I actually read Cardinal Arinze's letter about music at mass... so I guess he's my favorite now too :D

God always picks such wonderful popes. I just fell in love when Pope Benedict visited America and the people were chanting, We love you! We love you! And he said in stuttering English, I... I love you too!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.