The number of Catholics in Latin America has dropped 25%

There are two points in this article that do not affect one another, but I am interested on both points.

It seems these people who convert to a Protestant branch are less likely to support gay marriage. Why is it that those who stay Catholic are more likely to support gay marriage and yet the Protestant statistics show a greater lacking in support.

I will disclaim that I do know that the official Catholic teaching is that homosexual marriage is not okay, but what’s the reason for the statistics?

theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/nov/13/number-catholics-latin-america-dropped-25-since-1970

The causes could be manifold and depends on the person, but the bottom line is many people believe it is okay to retain the monicker “Catholic” and yet reject Catholicism.

Cultural ties are far more important, generally, in the Latin orbit than in NA. Being a Catholic is part of the culture; however, assent to moral pronouncements is not seen as crucial to being Catholic.

ICXC NIKA

Actually, the most unnerving thing in the study is that 60% of Latin Americans say they left the Church because they wanted MORE emphasis on morals.

Sort of turns things on their head, doesn’t it?

Maybe you mean the percentage of person in Latin America who are Catholic dropped by 25%, not that the Catholic population has dropped. It’s grown, actually, in terms of absolute numbers.

Regarding so-called gay “marriage”, yeah that’s a problem in Western Europe and the New World.

:doh2:

Well, they have a priest shortage the opposite reason we do.

A lot of people consider themselves, “Catholic” but do not adhere to all the beliefs. This is often referred to as being “Cafeteria Catholics”.

As to why a certain percentage of Catholic does this, I think it may due to a lack in formation.

I live here in Mexico, have lived here about 10 years, and a lot of people here are what my pastoral group used to refer to as “nominally Catholic”, as well.

Mexico, and much of Latin America, is Catholic, but unfortunately, some people just go to church but do not get much farther than that. Perhaps, when they convert, they begin to, at that moment, take their faith seriously, something, they maybe didn’t before.

There is an overall lack of education, in general, and secondly, formation, as I said. We recognize the lack of formation as a problem. It would be interesting for someone to research exactly why this is the case, then.

I posted this at another thread about this. But, if they left because of morals, do they consider abortion, contraception, remarriage and divorce moral? Because if they do, most of Protestants accept those things I just mentioned, and that is not moral.

They might have the right idea, but they go with the wrong faith.

Those who identify as Pentecostal or Evangelical are typically sincere, practicing Evangelicals or Pentecostals. There is a good chance that they had some sort of conversion experience and chose that particular faith. Those who identify as Catholic are largely so for cultural reasons…they were born into what was traditionally a Catholic culture. If you looked at devout, practicing Catholics who know and love their faith and have a true relationship with Our Lord through the sacraments, the statistic would change dramatically.

Could it be a result of Vatican II changes? At least some Traditional Catholics think so.

Sadly I think that this happens even here in the US. Imagine a typical Catholic who sees people in their parishes who aren’t very moral or don’t support Catholic teaching on things like Gay Marriage or Birth Control or premarital sex or what have you. I’m sure many the person who left the church thought it wasn’t strict enough or that people were just following it culturally where as those in a more evangelical church might seem to have a more sincere devotion to Christ (and most do). Kind of strange seeing as I know Catholics who left both because they felt the RCC was too strict or not strict enough.

Kind of like the three bears; this one is too hard; this one is too soft; this one is just right. This is what happens when one seeks a church that agrees with them rather than seeking the truth and conforming one’s life to it.

The thing that gets me is that at least at first, people seem to want to conform their lives to their new church. You are right though about people who want to simply find churches that agree with them. Think of how many protestant denominations have shrunk because they went off the liberal end. They weren’t liberal enough for those who simply left and were too liberal for those who went to more evangelical and conservative denominations. One of my good friends who grew up Southern Baptist and is now part of a non-denominational group told me about how the Methodists and Presbyterians used to be good denominations but now they are not. So sadly I think most people want to find what a church that agrees with them or simply don’t go.

Of those leaving, 81% cite seeking a personal connection with God as the main reason.

Well, the translation of this is that non-Catholic denominations are good at whipping up sentiment and feelings, which is conflated with a personal connection with God. It is like the seed sown upon rocky soil. Many will fall away when it stops feeling good.

Remaining in a religion one is born to normally requires no effort of will; conversion does.

So it is no surprise that those who leave the Church take their chosen religion more seriously than those who remain.

ICXC NIKA.

That does seem to be the case. And to give up the ability to confess is the kicker. I would include communion but apparently many think communion is the same.

Catholics in Latin America has dropped 25% since 1970

First, look at the percentage.
Second, look at the time covered.
Third, consider the source. the Guardian.

Gee, I wonder what factors would be included in this ‘statistic’ touted by an anti-Catholic Brit newspaper.
Seriously people, use your heads.
:cool:

Most Protestants hold to once saved always saved, therefore, there is no need for confession.

ICXC NIKA

Because God shouldn’t make you feel anything, right?

Pew forums are respected.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.