The Nuns' Habit

A question for all - Catholic and non-Catholic.

Non-Catholics once distrusted nuns and thought that their habits were mysterious and strange, even scary.

I’m curious about how people feel about the nuns’ habit today.

Catholics, would you rather see nuns in habits or street clothes, or doesn’t it matter to you?

Non-Catholics, do you have an opinion on nuns’ habits? Do they seem strange to you? Unecessary? An old custom that should be dropped? A tradition that should be kept?

Catholics and non-Catholics, what impression did the nuns’ habit have on you when you were a child?

Nuns to me are women dedicated to God and “married” to God/Church/Christ.

They have no worldly possessions, no husbands, no house on the beach or county, the majority of them live in convents or monasteries, they have no children, and devote their life to humanity and good deeds, fasting, praying and helping the needy.

Their garments are to separate them from the rest of the society, showing people that they are “Nuns”, women doing God’s Work.

Their “habit” is theirs. I know Nuns who dress to the fullest, and I know Sisters who dress otherwise.

I was just reading about a muslim member posting a question/post about hijab and twisting the post/reply to and Nuns in “short skirts” or something of that sort. :blush:

Muslims have been arguing about Christian Nuns and their wardrobe. They try to justify it to muslim women who cover up due to islam and their codes of dressing.

Not the same.

**If muslim women who cover up in burka, hijab or niquab <–(spelling) compare themselves to Christian nuns, well then, they better stop getting married to men and pumping out babies because that is not what Christian nuns do. **

the nun s habit is a sign this women serve god

Nuns and other religious Habits are truly a beautiful and pure sign of the Truth of Jesus Christ in the world today!

I wish I had the courage to display my love for Jesus so completely!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

I’ve always loved seeing sisters wearing Habits.It made me feel as though the Lord was near.Also we knew “the sister was a sister”.

Women’s habits, at least in the West, were based on the typical clothing of the poor at the time the order was founded.

While the many headpieces that covered the ears and make peripheral vision difficult, if not impossible, as well as voluminous skirts (which all women wore once upon a time) can be modified–and the traditional garb of holy poverty can get quite expensive!–I still like to see sisters in a uniform habit of some kind with a veil.

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

You are right . Their modest dress remind people of God Almighty.

Few months back , when I read that Nuns will take part in the fashion show , I did not like that at all. I thought , oh no , what next ?

I was just reading about a muslim member posting a question/post about hijab and twisting the post/reply to and Nuns in “short skirts” or something of that sort. :blush:

When non-Muslims Specially Catholics make fun of Muslim women because of the Islamic dress code , then I try to remind them of Nuns.

Do they fell Nuns are oppressed , do they think Nuns should wear mini-skirts etc .

I find it pathetic that some Catholics regularly condemn veil of Muslim Women when they are silent about Nuns. Before condemning Muslim Women , they must protest against dress of Nuns .

They try to justify it to muslim women who cover up due to islam and their codes of dressing.

God ordered us in His holy book to cover up ,that’s the reason we do it. It’s obeying God Almighty. If Nuns decide not to cover up , it does not mean we will follow them .

If muslim women who cover up in burka, hijab or niquab <–(spelling) compare themselves to Christian nuns, well then, they better stop getting married

huh . God did not order in His holy book not to marry . Why will we follow men made laws ?? :shrug:

My first trip outside of Utah County was at 15 years old. I went with my high school choir to sing at Disneyland. I ran into about 10 nuns in full habit. I have about a half a roll of film that I took of these lovely ladies. The reason? I didn’t know that they “let them out of the convent” !!! I was astounded that they were at Disneyland eating ice cream. LOL

That was the first time I saw any nuns not on TV. :wink:

I do wish there was more of a uniform. I think it’s beautiful that they are apart from the world. I’ve personally known a few, but I wish there were more around! At least here in Minnesota there are not enough.

in Christ
Steph

I’m curious about how people feel about the nuns’ habit today. I think the nun’s habit is fantastic! As a young lady discerning the call to religious life, I immediately rule out any community that does not wear a habit. The habit is an integral part of the rich history and tradition of monasticism. It is as neccessary as any other Catholic tradition, like liturgical vestments, chant, or the use of Latin. When you chip away some of those seemingly less-important traditions, like the habit, you are more likely to find it easy to get rid of other, more important things. Like the life of a nun itself, the habit isn’t forces on anyone. If a woman wants to be a nun, she ought to accept that being a nun means wearing a habit as part of her daily life. No one forces a woman to be a nun, but when you accept that life, you take on the whole package. I’ve never understood these nuns who joined their convents/abbeys when the habit was mandatory and rejoice now that it is not. What did they join for in the first place if it was such an issue?

Catholics, would you rather see nuns in habits or street clothes, or doesn’t it matter to you?
Yes. I would! At my college, the monks wear their habits, and when you see them, their habits set them apart from the world in the mind immediately. Yes, I know that they are people just like me, but the habit represents to me everything that they live their life for. I don’t have to ask, their habit displays their convictions in and of itself. We have a sister who teaches, but says that the habit of her order (which she does not wear) is a sign of opression to many. If that is they case, then wouldn’t the lifestyle she originally agreed too be the actual sign of opression? A habit is simply an external sign of an internal agreement to live a certain way. I think her excuse was weak. I really wish more womens’ religious orders would wear habits. It identifies them, what they believe in, and how they live their life.

Catholics and non-Catholics, what impression did the nuns’ habit have on you when you were a child? I never grew up with nuns. I went to a private Catholic school from 1st to 6th grade and all of my teachers were lay-people. There was one nun who came to teach religion once a week, and she never ever wore a habit. She just looked like a normal old lady. When I was at that school, we watched The Sound of Music and was enamored with the opening scene and the nuns being nuns, and when they told me our religion teacher was a nun, I didn’t understand and was a little disappointed.

Sorry for my mini-essay…haha.

I think its wonderful when Nuns wear their habits! It really makes me sad when they do not out of a desire for “making people less uncomfortable”. :frowning: The same with priests but that’s a different thread altogether.

I think the Nuns’ Habit could be a great way to expose our faith to Muslims. (Obviously, it hasn’t worked yet… but it may work in time in multi-cultural societies.)

I’m with you on this one–sort of. There is nothing wrong with a vow of celibacy. But, if Muslim women choose to wear clothing that resembles nuns’ habits because of their religion, there is nothing to criticize.

However, there is a lot to criticize when women are forced to wear this clothing or be punished.

I love seeing nuns in their habits, it does show that they are set apart. where I am there is a Trappistine Monastery and occasionally i go to Mass there, and i love seeing them in there habits its beautiful. of course they are cloistered so you never see them out but I love seeing them.

Some orders have returned to the traditional habit. Others have not. Surprisingly the orders that are gaining new members are the ones that have returned to their old style of dress.

I like seeing Nuns or Sisters in their habits. Its a reminder of how they dedicate their lives to God and we should fellow that example in our own daily lives some way. I was lucky enough to have them for teachers in school. We don’t have any at our elementary school where I live now…so sad

I love the Nuns Habit. My Great Aunt was a Nun and I just loved her Habit, in fact I never saw her in anything but her Habit.

It set’s them apart and I just love knowing when I “run into a nun.” Without the Habit, you can pass a Nun on the Street and never know she’s Nun. Even most Protestents I know “admire” a Nun in full Habit. Everyone knows she a woman who is serving God.

Without the Habit…she’s just another lady we pass on the street. I believe we need to see our Nuns in their Habits…the world needs to see this…in times like these it would be a “breath of fresh air” to see a Nun in her Habit.

I love nun’s habits, and have great respect for a sister wearing one. I’m a protestant, by the way. Its been sad to see the decline in nun wearing habits, since about the late 60’s. I can’t remember the last time I saw one. I’ve seen plenty of nuns in jeans and other informal wear, though. Somehow, I don’t have quite the respect for them…

Pam you’ve done it again! :thumbsup: Excellent!Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Vickie

Thanks! :smiley:

I’ve had this “Nun” vs muslim women cover conversation in so many other forums, it’s getting old…:yawn:

Exactly, and so is everything we have to rehash over and over with them!

Vickie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.