The Obamas Find a Church Home -- Away from Home

Finally! :slight_smile:

Although its sad that they were unable to pick a church in DC.

For the past five months, White House aides and friends of the Obamas have been quietly visiting local churches and vetting the sermons of prospective first ministers in a search for a new - and uncontroversial - church home. Obama has even sampled a few himself, attending services at 19th Street Baptist on the weekend before his inauguration and celebrating Easter at St. John’s Episcopal Church.

Now, in an unexpected move, Obama has told White House aides that instead of joining a congregation in Washington, D.C., he will follow in George W. Bush’s footsteps and make his primary place of worship Evergreen Chapel, the nondenominational church at Camp David.

A number of factors drove the decision - financial, political, personal - but chief among them was the desire to worship without being on display. Obama was reportedly taken aback by the circus stirred up by his visit to 19th Street Baptist in January. Lines started forming three hours before the morning service, and many longtime members were literally left out in the cold as the church filled with outsiders eager to see the new President. Even at St. John’s, which is so accustomed to presidential visitors that it is known as the “Church of the Presidents,” worshippers couldn’t help themselves from snapping photos of Obama on their camera phones as they walked down the aisle past him to take communion.

Each week, regardless of whether the President is on-site, Evergreen Chapel holds nondenominational Christian services open to the nearly 400 military personnel and staff at Camp David, as well as their families. A music director from nearby Hood College coordinates adult and children’s choirs (Clinton sang occasionally with the choir when he visited). In December, the kids in the congregation put on a Christmas pageant and the chapel holds a candlelight service on Christmas Eve. The Bush family enjoyed Christmas at Evergreen Chapel so much that they celebrated the holiday there for all eight years of Bush’s Administration.

Camp David’s current chaplain, Lieut. Carey Cash, leads the services at Evergreen. If the White House had custom-ordered a pastor to be the polar opposite of Jeremiah Wright, they could not have come as close as Cash. (As it is, the White House had no hand in selecting Cash. The Navy rotates chaplains through Camp David every three years; Cash began his tour this past January.) The 38-year-old Memphis native is a graduate of the Citadel and the great-nephew of Johnny Cash. He served a tour as chaplain with a Marine battalion in Iraq and baptized nearly 60 Marines during that time. Cash earned his theology degree from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth - and, yes, that means Obama’s new pastor is a Southern Baptist.

news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090629/us_time/08599190761000;_ylt=AkQv_ot8QDbgv408fu.UzbM7Xs8F;_ylu=X3oDMTJtMHE3ODY3BGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAwOTA2MjkvMDg1OTkxOTA3NjEwMDAEcG9zAzEEc2VjA3luX3BhZ2luYXRlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDdGhlb2JhbWFzZmlu

This completes the picture. Obama is Bush.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

How do you reckon that???

• :clapping: I am reminded of **. . . *Mother Angelica’s *. . . ** wonder and love of the many Southern Baptists . . . ***who are among the group of God’s many children whom the wonderful Pope John XXIII called the . . . *“Separated Brethren” . . . *** * and among whom God guided and placed ***. . . Mother . . . *** when she was led to establishment of the **Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) **in Irondale, Alabama . . . and the Our Lady of the Angels Shrine in Hanceville, Alabama . . . and among whom all her nuns and priests and brothers serve our Lord in the full light and glory of our Most Holy Catholic Faith . . .

The orthodox Southern Baptist’s deep love of our Lord and of the ***Holy Word :bible1: of God ***. . . the Holy Bible . . . with the Blessed Christ . . . Jesus . . . our Wonderful Lord and Saviour . . . and theirs . . . being the center of their worship as the Second Person of the Holy Trinity . . . and the Sacred Scripture being their profound focus for their spiritual growth and development . . . ***this may very well be an answer to our prayers for the beginning of the salvation of the President’s and his family’s souls . . . ***despite himself . . . and despite of the unholy advisors that have surrounded him . . . *it certainly is a vast improvement over their last church affiliation . . .*but as far away as it is from Washington, D.C. . . . where he is most of the time . . . since he hasn’t chosen a church there . . . his contact . . . and his family’s contact . . . with our Lord and His servants will be certainly be greatly limited . . . and his excuse is just rationalization and certainly seems to show his lack of much of any kind of faith . . . or interest . . . in God . . . and His Holy Ways . . .

We need to all pray that God will guide this dear Southern Baptist Military Chaplain in his ministry for our Lord . . . who has now become the new . . . and evidently only . . . *Godly shepherd . . . of the souls of the president and his family . . . and thank our Wonderful God for the full light of our Apostolic Holy Roman Catholic Church . . . which He has now planted down south in the Bible Belt of the United States . . . and through which He opened up to the entire world . . .the Wonderful Holy Mystery . . . ******of the Holy Eucharist . . . as the . . . Body and Blood . . . Soul and Divinity . . . of our’s and their Lord Jesus Christ . . . God Incarnate . . . alive and among us in the Blessed Holy Eucharist . . . *** as our Lord brings even more of his Wonderful Holy Presence and Light to dear children of our God who have been denied the Holy Wonder of the fullness of Truth as revealed in and through our Holy Catholic Church . . .

**"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?
and how shall they hear without a preacher?
and how shall they preach except they be sent?

:signofcross:
**as it is written,
****How beautiful are the feet of them
that preach the gospel of peace,
and bring glad tidings of good things!

So then faith cometh by hearing,
and hearing by the Word of God."
Romans 10:14-15, 17
:bible1:

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Blessed Lord+
. . . please . . . +
. . . keep us faithful in prayer+
. . . for the Military Chaplain+
. . . and for the president and his family+

:gopray2:[/RIGHT]

If I were a non-denominational christian, I would do the same thing. Who wants a spectacle when you go to church. Now, as a Catholic, I would try to arrange to have a personal chapel in the White House and a priest to offer daily Mass to the family.

Just more of it and faster.

From what I’ve seen so far, he (Obama) makes Bush or even Clinton look like saints. I never thought I’d hear myself saying that.

As an update, the White House issued an email today denying the Time Magazine story, but the author of the article stands by her reporting.

…the White House has released a statement: “The President and First Family continue to look for a church home. They have enjoyed worshipping at Camp David and several other congregations over the months, and will choose a church at the time that is best for their family.” Though nothing in the statement contradicts my reporting, David Brody over at the Christian Broadcasting Network reads it as saying that my article “IS NOT ACCURATE.” [hyperbolic all-caps his] (See pictures of Barack Obama’s family tree.)

It probably won’t come as a surprise to hear that I stand by the story. If the White House had wanted to call into question my reporting, it certainly could have. The reason it didn’t is that the plan for the foreseeable future is for the First Family to attend services at the nondenominational Evergreen Chapel when they’re at Camp David. It’s not a membership congregation, so as Robert Gibbs carefully noted in this afternoon’s briefing, they won’t be “joining” the chapel. The Obamas have not ruled out becoming members of another church down the road — what churchgoer would? — but neither are there any plans for them to pursue that option right now.

time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1907767,00.html

I have been reading the Reagan diaries, and arranging security on a weekly basis for POTUS is problematic at best, and attending church can turn into a zoo.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.