The Obelisk At The Vatican - Proof Of Paganism?

*From hereon in my words are italicized.

Obelisk… That big stone structure in the middle of St. Peter’s square. It’s on the news a lot these days. The obelisks of Rome are a favorite target of the more vicious anti-Catholic hate cults. I am referring to the hate cults that in no way represent mainstream Protestantism. Most Protestants I have met in my life are good Christians.*
The pagans used obelisks, so that proves Catholicism must be pagan. So the theory goes.
The following is from a book written by a non-Catholic Egyptologist. Notice there is no explanation as to why this particular obelisk has no inscriptions on it. There are also Egyptian obelisks in many cities in the world, including Washington D.C. The following is from a secular book.*

The Obelisk in the Piazza di San Pietro

The obelisks of the Piazza San Pietro, Piazza dell’ Esuilino, and the Piazza del Quirinale are all uninscribed. Their dates, provenances, and the reasons they were left uninscribed are not known…Neither Flinders Petrie, nor any other excavator working in the ruins of Heliopolis, has ever found an obelisk, or even a small fragment of an obelisk, that was uninscribed. The sovereigns of ancient Egypt were ever eager to decorate monuments with their own names and with phrases proclaiming their own glory, no matter what the size of the monument. The only undecorated obelisks in Egypt were unfinished ones abandoned in their quarries, and in fact one of these decoration was already in progress. More probably, the uninscribed obelisks were quarried in Egypt by the Roman emperors expressly to be taken to Rome, although it is possible that they were left incomplete because of the untimely death of the pharaoh.

The Obelisk in the Piazza di San Pietro is important chiefly by its surroundings… It is made of red granite and stands 25.37 meters high. It was erected in the Julian Forum in Alexandria by order of Augustus and remained their until 37 A.D. when the Emperor Caligula ordered the forum demolished and the obelisk transferred to Rome. It was then erected in the Vatican Circus, and there it remained until its removal to the square before the Basilica of St. Peter (1586). Legend (the author is writing as an archeologist when he says ‘legend’, not as an early church historian) has it that in the Vatican Circus innumerable Christians, including St. Peter and that the reason this obelisk was not later overturned as were all the others in Rome was that was looked upon as the witness to the martyrdom of St. Peter.

Pope Sixtus V appointed engineer Domenico Fontana to move the obelisk from the Vatican Circus…

April 28, 1586, Fontana and his men attended Mass at 2:AM, and later offered public prayers for the success of this feat….

Dedication ceremonies, Mass, and a procession with the entire papal court went to the obelisk More prayers, were offered and the obelisk was purified, and surmounted with a cross.

Former Chief Inspector of Antiquities, is an Egyptian archeologist who has published several books on Egyptology, as well as many articles in many journals.
Obelisks of the World, by Labib Habachi, Scribner’s Sons, 1974, page 74-75

*On the top of this Christianized pagan symbol, is a cross. Inside this cross, is a relic of the true cross. The obelisk at the Vatican stood in the presence of hundreds of the earliest Christian martyrs. The obelisk is a monument to them, not to the beliefs of its makers who killed them… To accuse Catholicism of paganism because of a monument to our roots is an insult to the deaths of the martyrs who refused to pay homage to Roman gods.

Sure, the obelisk at the Vatican has a lot to do with Roman paganism. It’s defeat by the blood of the martyrs and the spreading of the God’s love.

The cross is a symbol of our faith. Contrary to the hate cultists and their insane attempt to discredit the Catholic Church, the cross is not a pagan idol.*
masters-table.org/pagan/oblis.htm

Is Catholicism Pagan?
catholic.com/library/Is_…icism_Pagan.asp

good post, Kepha.

It’s so dumb when people try to point to the obelisk (sp?) as proof of paganism. do they even see the CROSS on top? if anything this is insulting to pagans, kind of like saying “hey, the cross conquers all your false gods!” which is true, of course.

to the people who say the obelisk is proof that catholicism is pagan, do you approve of the use of arches in church architecture? you know the pagan romans invented the arch.

These hate cults don’t approve of architecture either. They meet in basements, living rooms, barn type structures and the internet. But, I’m sure the architechture of the multi-million dollar mansions of Jack Chick, and Dave Hunt etc., etc,.would be impressive.:frowning:

I thought the obelisk was a reminder of the martyrdom suffered by christians - including St. Peter- at Nero’s circus.
St Peter’s square sits on that very spot where the martyrdoms occurred.

I bet roofs on a house were pagan practices.

I bet pagans ate food.

I bet pagans built buildings.

I bet pagans bathed in water.

I bet pagans did alot of things we do. Unless the obelisk was dedicated to some rendition of a Sun God, Moon God, Goddess of the Hunt, or whatever then it really doesn’t matter. All I’ve ever heard about Church architecture, art, practices is that they are all dedicated to God…

The obelisk is absolutely a symbol of evil. The cross was placed on top to represent Christ’s VICTORY OVER EVIL.

This is inscribed at the base of the obelisk:

CHRISTVS VINCIT
CHRISTVS REGNAT
CHRISTVS IMPERAT
CHRISTVS ABOMNIMALO
PLEBEM SVAM
DEFENDAT

A wedding ring is a pagan symbol. Are those who wear one, pagan?

Now, now… let’s not deny the truth. After all, George Washington, the father of our nation, is buried in an obelisk.

Which is positive proof that America is a pagan nation. Of course, that would also apply to the anti-Catholics in this country who brought up the whole mess in the first place.

Thal59

[quote=Thal59]Now, now… let’s not deny the truth. After all, George Washington, the father of our nation, is buried in an obelisk.

Which is positive proof that America is a pagan nation. Of course, that would also apply to the anti-Catholics in this country who brought up the whole mess in the first place.

Thal59
[/quote]

George Washington was a Mason. The Masons adopted a bunch of the pagan symbols from ancient Egypt. That’s why the Washington Monument is an obelisk. That’s also why the Egyptian goddess Isis sits atop the Capitol Building.

[quote=atsheeran]George Washington was a Mason. The Masons adopted a bunch of the pagan symbols from ancient Egypt. That’s why the Washington Monument is an obelisk. That’s also why the Egyptian goddess Isis sits atop the Capitol Building.
[/quote]

hmmmm…??? Many of our fouding father subscribed the the protestant form of Christianity and now you are saying George Washington is a pagan…!!! :eek:

I wonder if there is a connetion…

[quote=Seeks God]hmmmm…??? Many of our fouding father subscribed the the protestant form of Christianity and now you are saying George Washington is a pagan…!!! :eek:

I wonder if there is a connetion…
[/quote]

Many of our founding fathers, including George Washington, were Freemasons. Freemasonry is not compatible with Christianity. Many protestants even today, however, deny the incompatibility.

Oh, I realize Freemasonry is in contradiction with Christianity…I was being rhetorical in my statement…

[quote=Seeks God]Oh, I realize Freemasonry is in contradiction with Christianity…I was being rhetorical in my statement…
[/quote]

Gotcha! I miss that stuff all the time. :slight_smile:

I bet pagans did alot of things we do. Unless the obelisk was dedicated to some rendition of a Sun God, Moon God, Goddess of the Hunt, or whatever then it really doesn’t matter

This particular obelisk was present when that same spot was Nero’s Circus.
In the presence of that obelisk our first pope was martyred.

I always thought the obelisk was kept there to remind us of that sacrifice- and of the sacrifice of other christians.

I think it is a sign of triumph for Christ that in the presence of that pagan obelisk now stands the Vatican - the worldwide center for christianity.
Talk about a defeat for paganism!

I understand the symbology…it is extremely interesting conversation piece though, huh?

I understand the symbology…it is extremely interesting conversation piece though, huh?

Heehee!
Well…some of these conversations are borderline crazy!!
I mean - when someone claims its presence is proof that catholics are pagans - they just don’t even realize they are betraying their lack of historical knowledge.
They don’t know enough to suspect they don’t know.
It’s pretty sad.

I often wonder if these little facts were better understood if our Church would be as hated as it is.

[quote=Thal59]Now, now… let’s not deny the truth. After all, George Washington, the father of our nation, is buried in an obelisk.

[/quote]

George Washington is not buried in an obelisk (Washington Monument). He’s buried in a relatively conventional mausoleum on his estate at Mt. Vernon. Nobody is buried in the Washington Monument in DC.

http://users.ntplx.net/~bbarker/deadprez/gw2.jpg

…remember, Rome once owned the world… Rome is full of Obelisk/s (i don’ know what the plural is) from all over egypt and that part of the world… it was like stealing a great work of art and displaying it in your museum as the conquering nation… a trophy as it were…

Peace:thumbsup:

[quote=atsheeran]The obelisk is absolutely a symbol of evil. The cross was placed on top to represent Christ’s VICTORY OVER EVIL.

This is inscribed at the base of the obelisk:

CHRISTVS VINCIT
CHRISTVS REGNAT
CHRISTVS IMPERAT
CHRISTVS ABOMNIMALO
PLEBEM SVAM
DEFENDAT
[/quote]

Translate please. :wave:

[quote=GotQuestions]Translate please. :wave:
[/quote]

Christ Conquers
Christ Reigns
Christ Rules
May He defend His people from all evil

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.