The Odd Job Man And tax Evasion

If a man who is working does an odd job on the side,just one time like cutting a residents grass for £10, in his own spare time,to better his or his family living,and doesn’t pay tax,is it a mortal or venial sin.?
IF he cuts it several times obviously making more money,is it mortal or venial sin.
Every Catholic i know,who have done the odd job sidey,wheather electrician joiner brickie painter gardiner, and all the best of Catholics,would never dream of declaring just £1 to tax,as they are paying tax with their weekly salaries,and i doubt very much if they would even mention it in confession.
Even those who work with tax,get tradesmen to do sideys,as they would pay more for a registered builder or gardiner.
And if it were a retired pensioner,who needs exrtra money to live who executed the odd sidey and never declared to tax,would it be sin

It is a sin to lie, and lies come in many forms.
However, your question raised another question in my mind.
Is it a sin to pay taxes that contribute to a health system that funds abortion?
Now, there’s an excuse for cheating.
Which is the greater evil? Even if it is the lesser of two evils, it is still an evil.
How about: “Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s . . .”

Well there must be millions of Catholics worldwide who do the wee occasional job on the side and never confess it,and is it really cheating??? the Government take enough tax off us.
I used to do wee jobs in our local Church volentarly,my first job complete,the priest offered me money in his hand,which of course i never accepted,there was no question of tax,so was the priest committing a sin offering me money??? by doing work the Church would have paid more to get an registerd firm to execute
And what if i accepted food instead of money,this would save me from spending money that would have partially went on tax,so i am still getting paid in food for a sidey

I see no sin in it. A side market will always exist in a high taxing country. People talking to people, relatives helping relatives, and friends helping friends, and a bit of exchange is none of the government’s business.

Of course not paying your correct income tax is a sin. This is one of the reasons Greece is in the hole it is. If you want government services you have to pay for them. Just because everyone does it doesn’t make it right.
If you make ten pounds for cutting the grass, declare it, proud in the knowledge that the bureaucracy cost of processing it will be ten times more than the revenue collected, and keep some poor public servant employed.
Just on public servants…
I have often found that the average public servant displays all the outward signs of deep coma. Especially when on the phone waiting, I often say a little prayer that they are not suffering inside.

Would you declare £10,if yes,your the only Catholic i have known who would
So you would keep a poor public servant employed processing at a loss 10 times more,at the Council taxpayers expense,rather than see an old pensioner getting his grass cut for £10,rather than pay a registered company £20,thus the pensioner putting a decent meal in his stomach,or being able to heat an extra room in house,or putting a bit extra in the plate at mass on Sunday due to him having an extra £10 in his pocket,and the grass cutter spending the £10 sensibly

The rate of tax has little bearing on whether or not there is a side market. Rather, the main factor, as the original poster mentioned is the difficulty of recording every one of these small transactions.

If you are using it as a tactic to avoid paying taxes then it is a sin no matter how high/low the taxes are.

But the magnitude of the sin depends on the intent, like all sins. Remember Peter and Ananias (and Sapphira). Ananias and Sapphira died for sinning against the Holy Spirit for claiming that they have given all they had to the Church when they had in reality hid a portion. I don’t claim that that is any ways equal to paying taxes. Yet in both cases the real sin is that of deception, in particular claiming benefits while trying to shave off what they owe.

In any case, in the vast majority of cases, this would not rise to the level of a sin that one needs to confess (it is not a mortal one). For most people, confessing this sin would probably be a case of being overly scrupulous; where the fear of many small sins can interfere with recognizing the larger sins and feeling a true sense of thanksgiving to our Lord along with a true trust in Him.

The chances are, though, that the more strongly that you feel that you have not sinned in this area, the larger the chance that you are sinning in this area. Otherwise, why would your defense mechanisms kick in so strongly.

I guess it would depend on how often you are doing this and for what purpose. If you are doing it to make money and it is a significant part of your income you should create a company and do the right thing by paying your taxes.

I am a lawyer. I promised God when I took my oath before the Supreme court, that I would never take anyone’s money unfairly. I have to pay all just taxes in order to keep this promise to be an honest lawyer. I am sorry if this annoys you or I appear all goody goody, but it is a matter of honour.

The answer is no.
You are obliged to pay taxes and you have no control over how the money is used.

This is stealing. Stealing is sometimes grave matter

That is not to say I don’t gave sympathy with your question. I understand where you are coming from. It’s actually really easy to declare it in the UK. Just ring up HMRC and they will change your tax code. No form filling required. I recently did work for my brother in law. He gave me £200. I rang up HMRC and said I don’t want to go through The pain of competing self-assessment and they informed me if it is under a certain amount they can change your coding there and then!

I suppose you could say it was a technically a gift. One can gift a certain amount tax free per year. Alternatively what I do is ask someone to write a cheque for charity on my behalf. That way everyone is a winner

With regards to paying in cash. It is up to the recipient to declare. There is no moral imperative to not pay cash

The people i refer to are not using any tactics to deliberately dodge tax payment, they dont go looking for odd jobs,they are just executing occasional odd jobs when asked by someone who obviously wants the job done cheaper than a registered company,and knows they will leave a good job,whereas the company may leave a bad job.
The person doing the job is not advertising or looking for odd jobs,but will oblige if asked,for he could be doing with extra cash,and at other times,the extra cash is no issue,he is just helping out ,though taking the cash

I am not talking about giving to charity ,its about ones on pocket

I don’t know how it works in Scotland, but in the US, it a person gives more than a certain amount a year to another for services performed, they are also responsible for either paying the employer portion of the social security taxes.

As you can imagine, this rarely happens on either side.

However, the person receiving the money can declare it as tip income or other income.

If your friend really doesn’t need or want the money, could they ask the person who wanted to give it to them to make a donation to the local church instead?

When i did work for relatives and close friends,i never asked for money,but they offered me,sometimes they severely insisted,that they put money in my jacket pocket or through my letter box,that i was unaware of.I dont see any reason why i should declare this to HMRC could also see it as a gift,how can this be a sin?Where is this instance in Catechism?

If i ask my daughter to clean my house once every week,she wouldn’t ask me for money but i would give her money for her help,how can this be a sin if she doesn’t declare to HMRC ,even to think about it is crazy.Where is this instance in Catechism?

Woe To Ye Lawyers.My father was old fashioned,he would tip Lawyer if he done a good job .
So must tips be declared to???

I only wish everyone was so old fashioned! No tips are gratuities and are therefore gifts, so do not need to be considered taxable income.
I believe that we must bring the bests things we have to place as gifts of adoration before the feet of God when we die. If all I can bring is my honour as a gentleman, then I must protect it in all the small ways so it is strong enough to withstand the big temptations to sully what gifts we have left to honour our Christ, in a world that becomes increasingly self centered.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.