The offertory prayer question

When the priest says the words, “Do this in memory of me.” & lifts the gifts to God, & we look up at the gift, is there something we should say, do, or think?

When the priest lifts up the host and the chalice after their consecrations, the traditional practice I’ve heard is to look at them and say quietly:

“My Lord and my God.”

Apparently, this prayer is indulgenced (7 years I believe) when said at this time.

1 Like

A similar question was asked some years ago, here.

Am I missing something? Isn’t the offertory when the bread and wine is brought up to and placed on the altar?

1 Like

@Zach Yes, it is. The OP is referring to the elevations during Consecration.

Indulgences do not have time periods associated with them. They are partial or plenary. The Church has clarified that timeframes previously associated were misunderstood and misleading, since we don’t have a concept of time in purgatory.

@Justin_Mary
You, at this point in Mass, do what seems most appropriate to you (within reason, of course). The rubrics envision people looking with adoration, but many will now their heads, strike their breast, or do something else.

3 Likes

I know the OP is referring to the elevation. It’s the term offatory I’m not aware of.

I was agreeing with you; your use of offertory (bringing the bread and wine to the altar - as well as the prayers that follow, “Blessed are you Lord God of all creation…”) is correct.

The OP didn’t use the term (or spell it) correctly. That happens… many folks don’t know all of the liturgical terminology even if they’ve been devout Catholics for ages.

3 Likes

I did a search & came up with nothing related… sorry for wasting your time.

Probably would have helped my search if I knew what I was talking about.

No worries! Happens all the time. We’re known in some circles for our penchant for Catholic-ese and naming every little thing under the sun. The Eastern Churches, as I understand it, don’t get quite so carried away. :joy:

The indulgence you speak of is no longer in force.

There may or may not be some partial indulgence under the current grants for piously raising your thoughts to God or engaging in mental prayer or Eucharistic adoration. The current manual is pretty broad in that respect.

In any event, people should be reverencing Jesus at the Consecration because He’s God, not because they’re trying to get an indulgence for it.

1 Like

Open your mind to the Lord and see what He may show you then? As laypeople we get a lot of spiritual freedom during the Dedication of the Eucharist. In EO we don’t even witness it fully, the rood blocks the view and the priests prays in a low voice while doing so.
If I could just witness that moment in which the priest raises the Eucharist in the altar I would just do as I said. Since we are lay and we do not dedicate anything at that point we can just…try to fish a thought from The Holy Spirit who comes down. Get inspired. Maybe for a private matter?
I dunno… am I wrong in thinking this way?

That’s not what I’m saying.

Understood, but I would like people to be clear on the matter.

Many people read these threads who don’t fully understand indulgences.

It wasn’t a waste of my time. I hadn’t even thought about the question until you asked it and it was only while searching for an answer to your question that I found that years-old thread.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.