The Old Testament tells us Humans and Demons had children Nephilim ? (Any thoughts)

We know that there is only one Son of God. So in this context the Bible is clearly referring to something else.

There is one “only begotten” Son of God. Yet there are created sons and adopted sons also:

See also the following for “sons”, “children”, “father” of the good, etc:

Genesis 6:2,4; Deuteronomy 14:1; 2 Samuel 7:14; Isaiah 8:18, 9:6, 63:16, 64:8; Hosea 1:10; Matthew 5:9,45 6:9; Luke 3:38, 6:35,36, 11:2, 20:26; John 1:12, 11:52, 12:36; Romans 1:7, 8:14,16,17,19,21, 9:8, 9:26 [citing Hosea 1:10]; 1 Corinthians 1:3; 2 Corinthians 1:2, 6:18; Galatians 1:4, 3:26, 4:6,7; Ephesians 5:1; Philippians 1:2, 2:15, 4:20; Colossians 1:2; 1 Thessalonians 1:1, 3:11,13; 2 Thessalonians 1:1,2, 2:16; Titus 1:4; Philemon 1:3; Hebrews 2:10,13 [citing Isaiah 8:18], 12:7,9; 1 Peter 1:3; 1 John 1:3, 3:1,2, 5:2.

See also the following for the “sons”, “children”, “father” of the evil, etc.:

Genesis 3:15; Matthew 13:38; John 8:42,44; Acts 13:10; Romans 6:16, 9:8; Ephesians 2:2, 5:6; Colossians 3:6; Hebrews 12:8; 1 Peter 3:19 [compare to Psalms 142:7; Isaiah 42:6,7, 61:1; Luke 4:18], 3:20; 1 John 3:8,10,12, 4:4,5,6,7,8.

1 Like

Thank you, I should have been clearer. The Catechism of the Catholic Church and thus the Vatican describes the ‘antichrist’ as

The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c2a7.htm

So when I say nothing is set in stone, I meant, nothing of any of these ‘hypothesis’ is set in stone.

The Vatican has clearly stated the Antichrist is where man glorifies himself in place of God and Christ.

What is set in stone is that Christ’s return is suspended at every moment in history until his recognition by all Israel

1 Like

One thought is that the offspring of the angels and women are demons. If some angels had offspring with human women, and those offspring died in the flood, they had nowhere to go. We know demons are real. Christ cast demons out of men. The demons certainly knew Christ and knew their ultimate fate. The question is, what exactly are demons and where did they come from? Are they the fallen angels? It wouldn’t seem so. Are these demons the offspring between fallen angels and humans? Possibly.

Some claim Jesus put an end to this discussion by saying in Matthew “For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven

An important part of what he says specifically mentions the angels in heaven. We simply will never know 100% in this lifetime all the answers. Could the fallen angels inherit different powers when they fell to earth like the ability to mate with women? It’s possible.

2 Peter talks about at least some fallen angels being bound in hell and darkness. This passage seems to go along with the book of Enoch.

My personal opinion is some fallen angels are free to roam the earth and some were bound in chains. In Daniel chapter 10 the good angel says this “But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia”

We can all probably safely assume the kings of Persia aren’t mortals. We also know Michael is an archangel. That passage leads you to believe at least some fallen angels control parts of this earth spiritually and it took Michael’s intervention to assist this angel in reaching Daniel.

Paul famously wrote in Ephesians " For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

We simply will never know everything going on in that spiritual world around us. We do know from Paul it’s there and always tempting mortals.

Are Nephilim actually offspring from fallen angels mating with human women? Possibly, but in the end it really doesn’t matter. It’s details that can’t get us any closer to God or Heaven.

It’s in the scriptures.

Genesis 6:

Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. Genesis 6:1-4 NASB

The scripture says that the Nephilim were on the earth in those days and also afterwards when the sons of God took the daughters of men. It doesn’t say anywhere that the Nephilim were the product of this mating. It says that the Nephilim were already there when the Sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful. Angels and men cannot mate–it is not physically possible.

Well thats what it says… …and it happened.

when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them.

There’s lots of other ideas about who the Sons of God are besides angels. There’s some good posts about that on this thread.

Show me where in Sacred Scripture

[
the definition for

is angels please.

quote=“Mishakel, post:44, topic:562187”]
One thought is that the offspring of the angels and women are demons
[/quote]

This is not possible, given demons are fallen Angels.

It’s in Genesis 6 where the Sons of God intermixed with human women. It’s probably the oddest passage in the whole Bible and found no where else.

My personal opinion is that this can possibly be also where the Greeks got all their stories of Zeus, Hercules, Medusa, etc…

Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. Genesis 6:1-4 NASB

I like this answer for “short & sweet.” Supported by many scripture references up thread. :+1:Makes a lot of sense on a passage I had not seen explained well until now.

2 Likes

This does not say Angels and humans had children

3 Likes

Total mystery. I am dying to find out.

1 Like

It does say the Sons of God did. The million dollar question is who are the Sons of God? We know for sure from the text that they are not humans. If not Angels them what are they? Now the Sumerians might answer this question but it goes outside the bounds of all Christian theology.

1 Like

EDIT: Better answer from Haydock’s bible commentary on Genesis 2:2

The sons of God. The descendants of Seth and Enos are here called Sons of God, from their religion and piety: whereas the ungodly race of Cain, who by their carnal affections lay grovelling upon the earth, are called the children of men. The unhappy consequence of the former marrying with the latter, ought to be a warning to Christians to be very circumspect in their marriages; and not to suffer themselves to be determined in choice by their carnal passion, to the prejudice of virtue or religion. Ch. — See S. Chrys. hom. 22, &c. Some copies of the Sept. having the angels of God, induced some of the ancients to suppose, that these spiritual beings (to whom, by another mistake, they attributed a sort of aerial bodies) had commerce with women, as the pagans derived their heroes from a mortal and a god. But this notion, which is borrowed from the book of Henoch, is quite exploded. C. — The distinction of the true Church from the synagogue of satan, here established, has been ever since retained, as heretics are still distinguished from Catholics. W. S. Aug.

1 Like

With this logic you would then deny the Virgin birth of Christ! How then was Mary impregnated if not but by the divine!

Your comment is off topic about Mary.

Spiritual non bodied beings were created by God. They do not have procreative powers as do human beings (also briefly mentioned in Haydock’s above).

St. Augustine, Chrysostom, and Cyril of Alexandria suggested that the “sons of God” may refer to righteous descendants (men) of Seth who took descendants (women) of Cain as wives.

2 Likes

How so? Mary was miraculously impregnated by the Holy Spirit as a Virgin.

Now I’ve read about the teaching that the Sons of God came from the line of Seth. But there isn’t any biblical evidence to back this up.

Now how about the giant Nephilim? The Israelites said they were as tall as grasshoppers compared to them. Some say 20ft tall or bigger.

Still off topic about Mary. The Holy Spirit not a creature.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.