The "olive branch in the eye" tactic--the uncharitable charge

You’ve seen it a hundred times. Someone will make a witty rejoinder, or even a barbed or sarcastic comment in a discussion, and someone inevitably fires the “You’re being uncharitable!” cannon. It has become the Christian equivalent of the race card.

Diogenes at Off the Record sees it is more often employed as a rhetorical ploy by people who confuse lack of niceness and tact with lack of charity:
I’m struck by how often Catholic controversialists admonish each other with some variation on the dictum, “in all things, charity.” I think what they are really calling for is not charity, but magnanimity and graciousness. Attractive as these qualities are, they are symptoms of charity rather than its criteria, and the confusion can work unintended mischief.

In all things, charity. No argument. Charity is not proposed to us as an invitation or an ideal but given as a command – a divine command – and we’ll all have to answer to God for our failures therein. When charity becomes a weapon in polemics, however, our theology has jumped the rails.Read the whole thing here.

the forum rules are such as racist or insulting comments can lead to penalties up being banned from this forum.barbed comments do not lead to practical discussion of the topics at hand.even worse they can be the topic of scandel.so and so said this to me, and the postings we make are for the entire world to read if they can do so.in all cases if one feels a comment is insulting to some one they should first pm the person posting the abusive comment.and not to make the person feel humlitated publicly.just as you have seen the uncharitble cannon fired, some of these comments are not in any way meant to be charitable

Sure, and I recommend using the reporting feature. Truly uncharitable coments have no place on this board and need to be reported. If someone isn’t willing to report it, then I would highly question if it really is uncharitable. It still could be of course, but in my experience, my money is on the former.

barbed comments do not lead to practical discussion of the topics at hand.even worse they can be the topic of scandel

Depends on the context. Directing it as personal attack then yeah, that’s off the table, Directed towards a bad idea, it’s fair play.

.so and so said this to me, and the postings we make are for the entire world to read if they can do so.in all cases if one feels a comment is insulting to some one they should first pm the person posting the abusive comment.and not to make the person feel humlitated publicly.just as you have seen the uncharitble cannon fired, some of these comments are not in any way meant to be charitable

We agree. Personal insults are off the table.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.