The one nonsense in CCC?

Premise 1: Jesus Christ is the one mediator between God and men. (CCC 480, 618, 956, 1544, 2574.)
Premise 2: Jesus Christ is true God. (CCC 464, 468, 469, 480, 482.)
Conclusion: Jesus Christ is the one mediator between Jesus Christ and men.
Comment: This is the one nonsense in CCC?

(Dear friends: I am a prospective converts to Catholicism and am currently self-studying CCC. I will highly appreciate anyone who help me solve my confusion.)

Jesus Christ is both God and man. Because of this, He is the bridge between God and humanity.

I know someone else will come along and explain it more fully, but I think your “conclusion” is faulty. JurisPrudens has explained what you seem confused about.

Don’t worry, the people who wrote this didn’t make a really bad mistake. JurisPrudens is indeed correct.
Jesus is true God and true man–fully God and fully man.
The Early Church discussed this topic, and the Nicean as well as the Athanasian Creeds were formulated.

If you want to learn more about those creeds that were formulated, you can search them (and other Catholic topics) on the Catholic Encyclopedia

You can also see John 1:1-5, 14

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [2] The same was in the beginning with God. [3] All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made. [4] In him was life, and the life was the light of men. [5] And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it …] [14] And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we saw his glory, the glory as it were of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

God the Son, while remaining Who he is (God), assumed that which he wasn’t (man)

All the best on your journey to finding the richness in the theology of Catholicism

AHA! Now I understand my fallacy.
Jesus Christ is true God.
But God is not necessarily Jesus Christ.
So I cannot substitute God in Premise 1 by Jesus Christ.
So this “nonsense” or confusion is just a consequence of a trivial logic fallacy.
Thanks for everyone who replied!

One thought before I comment . Before digging into the universal Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, be sure to read CCC 20-21, page 11.

Your confusion, and that of many Catholics, is the teaching that God is Three Persons in One Nature and Jesus Christ is One Person with Two Natures. (I used the word “with” deliberately.) The official name of this Catholic doctrine is Hypostatic Union. (CCC Glossary, Hypostatic Union, page 882)

Because many, not all, Catholics often have trouble with the difference between the words assumed and absorbed, my suggestion is to start with CCC 470. Then go back to CCC 464-469. The nitty-gritty starts in 471 …

And yes, one needs a road map.

Personally, I have some difficulty understanding parts of what I suggested above. That is why I like to take another look with someone who has questions.

I may be slow in replying to you…

Now you’ve got it!

The Father is God
The Son is God
The Holy Spirit is God
But…
The Father is not the Son, The Father is not the Holy Spirit;
The Son is not the Father, The Son is not the Holy Spirit:
The Holy Spirit is not The Father, The Holy Spirit is not the Son

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are 3 persons, yet are 1 God.

This is the mystery of the Most Holy Trinity.

Peace and all good!

Jesus is of the same “substance” as his Father, so he is the perfect mediator between God and men.

A book that you should think about getting is Frank Sheed’s Theology for Beginners. The Catechism was a little complicated for me at first, and Sheed’s book was a really good primer.

Also, you might recognize that in scripture and other places, “God” refers to God the Father. Such as when Jesus looks up to heaven to pray to “God”.

St. Paul is very specific on purpose about Jesus role with regard to his mediation

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, Christ Jesus the man

He emphasizes Jesus “the man” as the mediator, in his humanity. You’ll find similar in Hebrews with regard to him as High priest.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.