The Origins of Apostolic Succession and Episcopal Lineage

Dear friends and forum users,

Recently I got very interested in the Apostolic Succession and the Episcopal Lineage. I found it fascinating that every Catholic bishop could trace his back their "episcopal ancestors" back to Jesus and His Apostels.

Now, I already saw the wonderful site Catholic Hierarchy. A beautiful work in progress. But unfortunantly it does not contain information about the episcopal lineage from starting from the Apostles. And that is where I am interested in. Who did the Apostles ordain as bishops and who did they on their turn ordain as bishops? I can't seem to find (complete) information about this online, so I was thinking this could be a small project on this forum. Gathering information about the first episcopal ordinations (preferably with references!).

To give an example on the list:

Saint Peter (possibly died AD 67), Prince of the Apostles and first Bishop of Rome
[LIST]
]1. **Saint Evodius* (died around AD 69), Bishop of Antioch as successor of Saint Peter. Ordained at Antioch in AD 53.
[/LIST]

You could say that the remaining 11 Apostles ordained St. Matthias to replace Judas.

I think that St. Paul ordained St. Timothy??

Peace,
Phil

I think that St. Paul ordained St. Timothy??

Correct, but which of the Twelve ordained St. Paul?

1. Saint Peter (possibly died AD 67), Prince of the Apostles and first Bishop of Rome. [LIST] ]1.1. **Saint Evodius* (died around AD 69), Bishop of Antioch as successor of Saint Peter. Ordained at Antioch in AD 53. [/LIST]

[LIST]
]X.1. **Saint Paul* (born around AD 5 - died around AD 67), Apostle to the Gentiles.
[LIST]
]X.1.1. **Saint Timothy* (died around AD 80), Bishop of Ephesus. Ordained at Ephesus in AD 65.
[/LIST][/LIST]
X. Unspecified.
[LIST]
]X.1. **Saint Matthias* (died around AD 80), ordained by the Apostels as a successor of Judas Iskariot.
[/LIST]

An adding and reviving. :wink:

There are a couple theories you can make about St. Paul’s linage.

#1, you could say that Jesus ordained him especially for his mission (Jesus doesn’t have to strictly follow the rules since He’s the One who gave the rules) during the episode where Saul falls off his horse (Acts 9:1-6).

#2, Ananias laid his hands on Saul (Acts 9:17), and for all we know Ananias could have been a bishop, although it could have also have been the Sacrament of the Sick.

#3, Paul and Barabus we chosen to be “set apart” by the Holy Spiri at Antioch, and both had hands laid on them (Acts 13:2-3) and were sent out by the Holy Spirit (Acts 13:4). Although, it mentions that Antioch only had prophets and teachers, and there is no mention of elders (Acts 13:1).

Antioch was the third largest Roman city. Evodius went with Saint Peter according to Bishop Eusebius. History of the Catholic Church was a book written by Bishop Eusebius. It tells us that Peter was the first Bishop of Antioch and when he left Antioch to go to Rome he ordained Evodius to be the second Bishop of Antioch so he had to ordain him before leaving the city. Eusebius tells us in his book that Peter ordained Evodius. The third Bishop was Ignatius of Antioch who was famous as a martyr because he wrote seven letters on his way to Rome to be a martyr. Acts 13: 1-3 tells us that Barnabas and Saul were set apart for the work of the Holy Spirit. Saul and Paul is the same person. Saint Luke in Acts of the Apostles never called Paul an Apostle until chapter 14 verse 14 and in some Bible verse 13. So it had to be Bishop Evodius who laid hands on Barnabas and Paul because they are both called Apostles. Before Acts 13; 3 neither Barnabas nor Paul were called an Apostles. So I come to the conclusion because of the time line that Bishop Evodius ordained Saint Paul. So Saint Peter ordained Bishop Evodius. Bishop Evodius ordained Saint Paul and Saint Paul ordained Timothy showing the apostolic succession to the forth generation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.