The other eight planets

What about the other eight planets in the Solar System? What’s the point of them being here too? I assume God made them too, right? But what are they for?

Man is in essence an exploratory creature! God knows this because He made man.

God put these other things in the heavens in order to instill a sense of mystery and awe so that no matter where man was looking, questioning or exploring, the fingerprint of God would be very visible.

However, man also created and fashioned the hardened heart :frowning:

Hi Paris,

For your consideration, Psalm 19:

The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky proclaims its builder’s craft.

One day to the next conveys that message; one night to the next imparts that knowledge.

There is no word or sound; no voice is heard;

Yet their report goes forth through all the earth, their message, to the ends of the world.

[quote=Paris Blues]What about the other eight planets in the Solar System? What’s the point of them being here too? I assume God made them too, right? But what are they for?
[/quote]

Paris,

Speaking as an amateur astronomer who is very interested in planets, I would say that God made them to be beautiful. I daresay He enjoys looking at them as much as I do, and more so. They are there for us to enjoy and to glorify God.

• Liberian

For the same reason He made other solar systems in other galaxies. To give astronomers something to do; to give NASA somewhere to go; to give the Mars rovers something to photograph.

Why should He limit himself?

OK–that was answer A.
Here is Answer B:

Maybe he wanted to just start out with a big bang and a few constants of nature, and all of that other stuff had to occur to get to this point.

[quote=Paris Blues]What about the other eight planets in the Solar System? What’s the point of them being here too? I assume God made them too, right? But what are they for?
[/quote]

But who says earth is a planet (wanderer)? According to Scripture as authoritatively interpreted by the Fathers, and according to three Pope’s (based on this), the earth is stable at the center of the universe, and the sun and stars move around it.

There really is no scientific evidence that the earth rotates or translates.

veritas-catholic.blogspot.com/2005/08/geocentricity-101-part-i.html (Geocentrism 101, Part I)

veritas-catholic.blogspot.com/2005/08/geocentrism-101-part-ii.html (Geocentrism 101, Part II)

Mark
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com

[quote=trth_skr]But There really is no scientific evidence that the earth rotates or translates.
[/quote]

Which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread (or reality).

The other planets are an integral part of the overall balance of the solar system. Remove any one of them, and the changes to forces such as gravity would likely render life on Earth impossible.

– Mark L. Chance.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.