the other half of Truth

An irritating thing happened on the way to becoming Catholic. For several years now , my wife and I have been studying catholic reasons for things. Catholic Theology. It all makes since. I think it is true.

Next we started going to Catholic Churches. This is when things started to come unraveled. We looked for like minded Catholics. It has been hard to find them. Few Catholics seem to know the Faith. No one sings in Church–no one does ANYTHING in church. Evangelism is suspect. My daughter, whose family has been making this trip too, and lives far away, has found a great Catholic parish . But in this Diocese where I live things are going nowhere. I still want to be Catholic but MAN is it hard.

I have discovered that the Truth of the Church is like the Truth in the Bible : it is useless unless it is lived out.

I can be a Protestant in a great parish full of terrific Christians who don’t know enough about Catholic Truth but are working hard at what they know; or I can go to a Catholic Parish where no one seems to know or do the Truth that is their birthright.

Question: If all you knew about the Catholic Church was what you saw in others and not what you knew–would you join?

Yes. My faith is in Christ who guides his Church, not in man.

Do not fret. Learn the faith and live it out. As Saint Francis said, “Preach always. And if you have to, use words.”

You have to find a good parish.But one thing is for sure.Jesus is in the Eucharist and you will not get that anywhere else.If you are already Catholic pray about this maybe you are being called to teach about the faith that is so much taken for granted.Religious formation was disasterous in a lot of places for a long time.Mother Teresa made a huge difference in this world by the grace of God and she started by taking care of one dying person in the streets of Calcutta.God Bless

Yes! I am Catholic in part because of the saints.

What’s up?

JohnCarroll http://forums.catholic.com/images/statusicon_cad/user_online.gif vbmenu_register(“postmenu_571554”, true);

http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon1.gif the other half of Truth
An irritating thing happened on the way to becoming Catholic. For several years now , my wife and I have been studying catholic reasons for things. Catholic Theology. It all makes since. I think it is true.

Next we started going to Catholic Churches. This is when things started to come unraveled. We looked for like minded Catholics. It has been hard to find them. Few Catholics seem to know the Faith. No one sings in Church–no one does ANYTHING in church. Evangelism is suspect. My daughter, whose family has been making this trip too, and lives far away, has found a great Catholic parish . But in this Diocese where I live things are going nowhere. I still want to be Catholic but MAN is it hard.

I have discovered that the Truth of the Church is like the Truth in the Bible : it is useless unless it is lived out.

I can be a Protestant in a great parish full of terrific Christians who don’t know enough about Catholic Truth but are working hard at what they know; or I can go to a Catholic Parish where no one seems to know or do the Truth that is their birthright.

Question: If all you knew about the Catholic Church was what you saw in others and not what you knew–would you join?

Lisa, that’s freaky! Writer and JohnCarroll with the same post? Maybe the board software failed.

[quote=Pug]Lisa, that’s freaky! Writer and JohnCarroll with the same post? Maybe the board software failed.
[/quote]

That is wierd,I am curious as to what is going on:hmmm:

[quote=Writer]An irritating thing happened on the way to becoming Catholic. For several years now , my wife and I have been studying catholic reasons for things. Catholic Theology. It all makes since. I think it is true.

[/quote]

W,
I feel your pain. As a fellow Oregonian we have to remember one important thing and that is our state has almost gone to the dogs. It has one of the lowest percentages of Church attendance of all the states. However after the last election when measure 36 was struck down I think people are waking up. At the same time there are good Catholics around, you just have to look (and be lucky).

But if your looking for “works” there is a lot of them around. One of many many examples is a thing in the Portland Archdioces (which includes all of western Oregon) that is called “The ArchBishop’s Catholic Appeal” which goes on every year for a short time. It basically means that for a few weeks the money collection baskets go around a second time and all that is collected go into a special fund. This fund is truly proof of God’s will being done. Each year it raises around 2.75 Million dollars. Not many Protestant churches can or do run those types of programs.

Home Page Of Archbishop’s Catholic Appeal

Not only that there are many many volunteer positions.

[quote=Writer]An irritating thing happened on the way to becoming Catholic. For several years now , my wife and I have been studying catholic reasons for things. Catholic Theology. It all makes since. I think it is true.

[/quote]

THIS IS NOT ME! CONTACTING FORUMS TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR ASSISTANCE!

“Writer”

[quote=Writer]THIS IS NOT ME! CONTACTING FORUMS TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR ASSISTANCE!

“Writer”
[/quote]

Wow,I knew something was up:eek:

It is possible the above post was from a relative whom I visited over Christmas in Texas, and his PC may still have my saved profile for the Catholic Forum posts. Very strange!

[quote=Writer]It is possible the above post was from a relative whom I visited over Christmas in Texas, and his PC may still have my saved profile for the Catholic Forum posts. Very strange!
[/quote]

If that is the case, CA could tell you because they should have the IP address of the post and it wouldn’t be your home IP address. Hope you get it straightened out! Quite a nightmare to have your posts all messed up.

Have you contacted a moderator?

Just had a thought…change your password. Any new password will be emailed to your email.

This is a problem identified by many converts. It’s in with the others such as “lack of fellowship” and “joyus praise”, etc. that many were used to.
Yes, we Catholics should be more of a sign of unity, we should know the Bible better, and be more vocal in our praise of the Lord.
But…
Even with all that missing, we have our Lord in the Eucharist… even in liberal parishes. So I would say yes, that alone is worth it.

Jim.

[quote=Pug]If that is the case, CA could tell you because they should have the IP address of the post and it wouldn’t be your home IP address. Hope you get it straightened out! Quite a nightmare to have your posts all messed up.

Just had a thought…change your password. Any new password will be emailed to your email.
[/quote]

Thanks! Yes, I have done the above now and am trying to contact the relative who accidentaly posted this under my name…

THIS IS A DUPLICATE THREAD ISSUE. JOHNCARROLL BEGAN THIS THREAD, BUT IT SHOWS UNDER MY USER NAME BECAUSE I HAD USED HIS PC SOME MONTHS AGO. PLEASE SEE THE CORRECT THREAD AT THE LINK BELOW.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=49012

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD! THANKS…

[quote=Pug]If that is the case, CA could tell you because they should have the IP address of the post and it wouldn’t be your home IP address. Hope you get it straightened out! Quite a nightmare to have your posts all messed up.

[/quote]

Hello Sorry for the Mix up .When I saw the mistake, I tried to edit my message into my own screen name . My computer used my Son-in-laws handle who once used this computer and is very happy in his Catholic Church. If you go to the same post under my name you can get into the conversation.

Thread closed at originator’s request.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.