The other half of Truth

An irritating thing happened on the way to becoming Catholic. For several years now , my wife and I have been studying catholic reasons for things. Catholic Theology. It all makes since. I think it is true.

Next we started going to Catholic Churches. This is when things started to come unraveled. We looked for like minded Catholics. It has been hard to find them. Few Catholics seem to know the Faith. No one sings in Church–no one does ANYTHING in church. Evangelism is suspect. My daughter, whose family has been making this trip too, and lives far away, has found a great Catholic parish . But in this Diocese where I live things are going nowhere. I still want to be Catholic but MAN is it hard.

I have discovered that the Truth of the Church is like the Truth in the Bible : it is useless unless it is lived out.

I can be a Protestant in a great parish full of terrific Christians who don’t know enough about Catholic Truth but are working hard at what they know; or I can go to a Catholic Parish where no one seems to know or do the Truth that is their birthright.

Question: If all you knew about the Catholic Church was what you saw in others and not what you knew–would you join?

[quote=JohnCarroll]An irritating thing happened on the way to becoming Catholic. For several years now , my wife and I have been studying catholic reasons for things. Catholic Theology. It all makes since. I think it is true.

Next we started going to Catholic Churches. This is when things started to come unraveled. We looked for like minded Catholics. It has been hard to find them. Few Catholics seem to know the Faith. No one sings in Church–no one does ANYTHING in church. Evangelism is suspect. My daughter, whose family has been making this trip too, and lives far away, has found a great Catholic parish . But in this Diocese where I live things are going nowhere. I still want to be Catholic but MAN is it hard.

I have discovered that the Truth of the Church is like the Truth in the Bible : it is useless unless it is lived out.

I can be a Protestant in a great parish full of terrific Christians who don’t know enough about Catholic Truth but are working hard at what they know; or I can go to a Catholic Parish where no one seems to know or do the Truth that is their birthright.

Question: If all you knew about the Catholic Church was what you saw in others and not what you knew–would you join?
[/quote]

You make a very good point. I wish I had the perfect answer answer for you.

Cradle Catholics, for the most part, are in fact cradle Catholics. Meaning they are Catholic because they were born into the faith. However, that being said, it dimisnishes, in no way, the improtance, and the beauty of those who understand or wish to understand the wonder of the faith. Please do not let it discourage you. Look upon it as a challenge.

[quote=JohnCarroll]An irritating thing happened on the way to becoming Catholic. For several years now , my wife and I have been studying catholic reasons for things. Catholic Theology. It all makes since. I think it is true.

[/quote]

I’ll put it more strongly than that. If I could join the Catholic Church described by writers like Louis Bouyer and Henri de Lubac–or for that matter by JPII’s encyclicals and the new Catechism–I’d have become Catholic long ago.

Edwin

[/quote]

I once walked away from Christianity after my first year as an Evangelical because of the Christians I saw at church.

When I came back to the faith I understood that it was not the people and what they believed but the truth of the belief.

This is why I joined the Catholic Church, for the fullness of Truth. Sometimes that can be a lonely road to travel.

Peace

So…imagine Paul sittin’ in jail writing letters to Christian communities elsewhere…he didn’t have a rich “faith community” to hang out with…and how about those persecuted for the faith?..My patron saint (St. Felicity;) ) gave birth to a daughter and then was thrown to a mad cow–eventually her throat was slit for God…it’s not necessarily supposed to be warm and fuzzy…I serve the Lord because He is the Lord. Not because of what I may get out of it. You may be called to live out your faith in a desert, rather than a lush garden. That is what God has asked of you. Will you tell him no–it’s not “comfortable”.

I’m sorry if I sound irritable…:o it’s late for me…I’ll go to bed now…

John,

I know what you mean, but hang in there. The American Catholic Church is somewhat of a black sheep in the Universal Catholic Church-- third world catholics are IN LOVE with their faith. God is calling you to show the Catholics who are bored with their faith just how beautiful their faith is; so dont give up and leave-- heed God’s call and get people passionate again! there have been many great saints in history who were living during a time like this, where no one seemed to take the faith seriously. its up to us who love our faith to spread it to others. God bless. oh and by the way, if the standard for becoming any form of Christian was the Christians themselves, I’d be atheist! Look to the teachings and to Christ, not the average believer. we’re all human.

JohnCarroll,

Much of what you have noticed in church is caused by the fact that America is wealthy, materialistic, and somewhat hedonistic. We here in America are also suffering from the effects of Liberalism which has been doing its best for decades to make religion look incompatible with daily life. If you were to travel abroad, you would find in many other countries a vibrant faith. You would see that it is not the church or the mass per se that is lacking, but the sanctity of the parishoners.

Still, while I am currently working my way back to the Lord and the church, you would find that I do not sing during services either. This is because I don’t have much of a singing voice to offer to the Lord, and also because at this point in my life, while I am turning to the Lord, I don’t yet have it in my heart to sing. But if you knew what was going on inside of me, you would see someone who is very attentive to the services and very sincere.

We cannot judge the validity of a congregation by appearences alone. But if you feel somewhat restrained in your church, you could always try another local church that hoprfully may uplift you.

Thal59

[quote=UKcatholicGuy]John,

I know what you mean, but hang in there. The American Catholic Church is somewhat of a black sheep in the Universal Catholic Church-- third world catholics are IN LOVE with their faith. God is calling you to show the Catholics who are bored with their faith just how beautiful their faith is; so dont give up and leave-- heed God’s call and get people passionate again! there have been many great saints in history who were living during a time like this, where no one seemed to take the faith seriously. its up to us who love our faith to spread it to others. God bless. oh and by the way, if the standard for becoming any form of Christian was the Christians themselves, I’d be atheist! Look to the teachings and to Christ, not the average believer. we’re all human.
[/quote]

Thanks to all for your replies.
A couple of you have mentioned the faith of Catholics in other countries. I would like to know about that . What experiences have you had with great faith in other countries?

FYI, Canada, although not part of america, is the same story as them… (and no, we don’t live in iglooshttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.