The other side of this argument

why are certain things not considered immodest in certain context? but would be for others?

i.e. tutus for ballet, bathing suits for swimming.

obviously you wouldn’t go to work like that, or church.

but isn’t a part of modesty to not be an occasion of sin for other people?

wouldn’t being at the pool still be tempting for someone else though?

I know some people will say that it doen’st matter, that those activities are always immodest.

or are we just used to the idea of looking a certain way at the pool or ballet performance that it does not have the same effect?

Every year when it starts to be swim suit weather, this question becomes repetitive. We live in a society that is not on the same wave length as those who are obsessed with women being covered from head to foot so they will not ‘tempt’ poor men who are incapable of resisting their urges. The very last thing we need is the modesty police. A few simple rules concerning wearing the right size of swim suit should suffice. Can you imagine telling a four year old that their ballet costume is too immodest because a four year old little boy might find it sexually titillating?.

oh angell.
:frowning:

I’m actually genuinely curious. I mean this is really a non-issue for me personally. but it seems to be a big focus for young adult catholic talks. so I have a hard time understanding

as far as I’m concerned, the rest of you could be running around the world naked and it doesn’t make one bit of difference to me.

Not in Canada surely? BRRR

no, since they hardly even know anything about that

maybe my question isn’t clear. I mean, personally I feel fine in a one piece at the pool, but it would be super awkward anywhere else. I don’t even wear anything remostly similar, such as tank tops or shorts shorts

and there are always announcements in the bulletin in the summer about wearing more appropriate clothes to mass. you generally wouldn’t wear tank tops, shorts shorts, mini skirts, Etc… doesn’t this partly have to do with modesty?

I’m curious as to why it differs based on the activity?

and there are always announcements in the bulletin in the summer about wearing more appropriate clothes to mass. you generally wouldn’t wear tank tops, shorts shorts, mini skirts, Etc… doesn’t this partly have to do with modesty?

I’m curious as to why it differs based on the activity?

If God invited you to His house, would you wear a swimsuit or appropriate attire?

The Church is God’s house and as invited guests to His house we should dress accordingly.

Who are these young adult Catholics (presumably college age like yourself) that wonder if Classical ballet costumes and wear is immoral?
come on.

No this is scruples talking.

IMNAAHO, and only IMNAAHO, a tiny contingent of incorrigible busybodies use the word “modesty” as a bugaboo to browbeat everybody into covering every inch of skin. It’s not worth worrying about.

ICXC NIKA

I think modesty sometimes depends on the occasion. For instance, one should dress modestly to Mass. One (I hope) would not wear a bikini bathing suit to Mass. However, at the beach, this may be considered modest dress for that type of activity/occasion.

A young person going to a bar or a club would probably wear something revealing. If female, maybe a low cut top, a mini skirt, etc. However, that same dress would not be considered modest for Mass.

I think it’s because we give a bit of a nod for the activity in question. Like we know the reason people are wearing a swimsuit is so they can swim. They’re not doing it to jump-start us in the same way they would be if they were in their underwear. So a lot of it has to do with the idea behind it. Because intent is halfway towards the action that comes next. But in swimming the action coming next is just the front stroke. So yeah. A lot less exciting.

Hope that helps.

Peace Angell.

-Trident

that’s sort of the point.

even if I were going to a club, which I personally would never do, I wouldn’t be wearing anything revealing. in that context, the purpose is sort of attract attention

maybe that’s the difference then, bathing suits and ballet costumes are worn mainly for functionality. water causes more drag with heavier clothes, EtC…

it’s sort of implied in chastity/modesty talks

and of course, it’s partially scruples. this is me we’re talking about here. lol

Sure, but I doubt seriously that anyone means what is worn at the Classical ballet, or some of the other examples you gave.
They’re talking about hoochie mama outfits.
They’re talking about clothing that is revealing for the sake of being revealing, not because of function, or dancing ease or anything like that. You could say that Greco-Roman wrestling gear is arousing. I mean, if people have mal intent, they just do.
Some people ogle others as a matter of course. :shrug:

Par of it is just the times we live in too, look at popular swim suits from just 50-100 yrs ago…they were quite different than today, especially for females. as the years go by, the swim suits are only getting more skimpy and revealing too, even for preteen girls…but we just accept this, since everyone else does and thats what all the stores are selling.

I only wonder what 2 piece swim suits are going to look like in 20 yrs, 50 yrs? Will they just be strings? LOL

Or Mebbe they’ll just be given up and let everybody be nekkid?? :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.