The Papal Succession

I believe that Pope Benedict XVI is the succesor of Peter. Say my Protestant friend wa to recognize the fact that Peter was pope of the Church, what evidence is there that his power was passed on? What scripture supports this view?

[quote=Christus Rex]I believe that Pope Benedict XVI is the succesor of Peter. Say my Protestant friend wa to recognize the fact that Peter was pope of the Church, what evidence is there that his power was passed on? What scripture supports this view?
[/quote]

www.scripturecatholic.com/primacy_of_peter.html
www.scripturecatholic.com/apostolic_succession.html

The keys to the kingdom indicate that Peter holds an office. In ancient Israel, the keys were given to the prime minister, who was tasked to rule Israel in the king’s absence.

Important: The keys were given to the holder of the office, not to the person. If the person was no longer in the position of prime minister, he no longer held the keys.

Peter recognizes that the Apostles hold an office in Acts. When talking about replacing Judas, he says his bishopric must be filled - “bishopric” means “office”.

To make the claim that the authority died with Peter is to claim that Satan will no longer attack our Church after Peter is dead, and we all know that’s not true.

God Bless!

Notworthy

[quote=NotWorthy]The keys to the kingdom indicate that Peter holds an office. In ancient Israel, the keys were given to the prime minister, who was tasked to rule Israel in the king’s absence.

Important: The keys were given to the holder of the office, not to the person. If the person was no longer in the position of prime minister, he no longer held the keys.

Peter recognizes that the Apostles hold an office in Acts. When talking about replacing Judas, he says his bishopric must be filled - “bishopric” means “office”.

To make the claim that the authority died with Peter is to claim that Satan will no longer attack our Church after Peter is dead, and we all know that’s not true.

God Bless!

Notworthy
[/quote]

Good answer, NotWorthy.

I wonder–does anyone know a good source of information for Linus? I’ve got this particular Web interlocutor who demands to see some sort of evidence of the “pass” of authority from Peter to Linus. He builds a mountain of a conspiracy theory on the absence of evidence of some sort of ceremonial succession between them. (And he flirts with the nonsense that there’s no evidence that Peter was even in Rome.)

I personally would like to know more about this, particularly since the very first succession would have been very different, I imagine. (No cardinals, no sistine chapel, no anything, really. Who officiated?)

I think the original question here has been answered, so I don’t feel so bad for threadjacking. :wink:

[quote=montanaman]Good answer, NotWorthy.

I wonder–does anyone know a good source of information for Linus? I’ve got this particular Web interlocutor who demands to see some sort of evidence of the “pass” of authority from Peter to Linus. He builds a mountain of a conspiracy theory on the absence of evidence of some sort of ceremonial succession between them. (And he flirts with the nonsense that there’s no evidence that Peter was even in Rome.)

I personally would like to know more about this, particularly since the very first succession would have been very different, I imagine. (No cardinals, no sistine chapel, no anything, really. Who officiated?)

I think the original question here has been answered, so I don’t feel so bad for threadjacking. :wink:
[/quote]

What with all the martyrs among our first popes, there may not have had much fanfare between Peter and Linus.:slight_smile:

Seriously, “The Keys to the Kingdom” and Patrick Madrid’s “Pope Fiction” are supposed to be great books on The Early Papacy.

God Bless!

Notworthy

Try:

www.phatmass.com

they used to have a load of stuff relating to the papal lines, including a full list of the popes, however I havn’t been on it in a while.

[quote=Christus Rex]I believe that Pope Benedict XVI is the succesor of Peter. Say my Protestant friend wa to recognize the fact that Peter was pope of the Church, what evidence is there that his power was passed on? What scripture supports this view?
[/quote]

There is one clearly recorded example of a person succeeding an Apostle. You can compare Judas/Matthias to Benedict/Peter.
Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was in and out among us,…Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles. Acts 1:21,26
I’ll leave it to you to decide if this resembles Benedict.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.