The passing of my cousin

Hello,
I’m new to this forum, so far what I’ve read seems very good. :thumbsup:

Here’s whats on my mind. Recently my cousin died, 44 yrs old…massive heart attack…helping to dig a grave of all things. To my knowledge he was not baptized nor went to any church. I don’t think he was an Atheist. He swore, was crude and just plain rough around the edge’s. However, he did a lot for his community and family. He was a local fire cheif, telephone worker and part time logger. He helped many of the elderly by performing odd jobs around their homes.

So, is there hope of my cousin ever getting to Heaven? Will prayers for the unbaptised dead help him? I realize nothing unclean will enter Heaven, but does that mean he can’t even go to Purgatory? :frowning:

Thank you,
Scott

There is always hope. No one can know the state of his soul except God, and God knows him better than he knew himself. Continue to offer your prayers for him, or even have a Mass said for him.

[quote=super64]Hello,

Here’s whats on my mind. Recently my cousin died, 44 yrs old…massive heart attack…helping to dig a grave of all things. To my knowledge he was not baptized nor went to any church. I don’t think he was an Atheist. He swore, was crude and just plain rough around the edge’s. However, he did a lot for his community and family. He was a local fire cheif, telephone worker and part time logger. He helped many of the elderly by performing odd jobs around their homes.

So, is there hope of my cousin ever getting to Heaven? Will prayers for the unbaptised dead help him? I realize nothing unclean will enter Heaven, but does that mean he can’t even go to Purgatory? :frowning:

Thank you,
Scott
[/quote]

Scott:

What was your cousin’s name?

I was the guy who posted the names and descriptions of Dr. David and Nava Applebaum on the New York Times ME Forum after they had been killed by a Palestinian Homocide bomber. I’m pretty sure that Tzedak (“Righteous Man”) made it based on the life I posted.

Last year, I helped bury a Jewish man who was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. For most of the March, he risked his life by carrying a man who couldn’t carry on, while his company risked theirs by screening this from the eyes of the Japanese. I have a hard time believing someone who risked his life for his friend in that way would be denied entrance to God’s presence.

I’m sure there are some on the forum who will disagree with me, but God’s mercy is everlasting and can reach into places we have no way of knowing.

Here is a prayer one of the Orthodox Brothers sent to me after Terry Schiavo died:

A K A T H I S T for the R E P O S E
of Those Who have FALLEN ASLEEP

KONTAKION 1

*O Thou Who by Thy inscrutable Providence didst prepare the world for eternal beatitude and Who appointest times and seasons and the manner of our end:

Forgive, O Lord, those who have died in past ages all their sins, receive them into the realms of light and joy, hasten to open Thy Fatherly arms to them, and hear us who celebrate their memory and sing:

O Lord of unutterable Love, remember Thy servants who have fallen asleep.*

IKOS 1

*O Thou Who savest Adam and the whole human race from eternal perdition, Thou didst send Thy Son into the world, O Good God, and by His Cross and Resurrection Thou hast granted us also eternal life.

Trusting to Thy infinite mercy, we look for the deathless Kingdom of Thy Glory, we implore Thee to grant it to those who have fallen asleep, and we pray: Gladden, O Lord, souls wearied by the storms of life, that earth’s sorrows and signings may not bury them in oblivion. Hear them, O Lord, in Thy bosom, as a mother responds to her children, and say to them: Your sins are forgiven you. Receive them, O Lord, into Thy calm and blessed haven that they may rejoice in Thy divine glory.

O Lord of unutterable Love, remember Thy servants who have fallen asleep.*

users.sisqtel.net/williams/akathist-repose.html

There’s much more to the prayer. It may take you three or four days to work your way through it, because it’s not easy emotionally.

And, since you love your cousin, the Church urges you to have as many Masses said on his behalf as you can. The same with Rosaries.

Many of us will be surprised by whom we will meet in heaven.

FYI, If you’ve made it to Purgatory, you’re going to Heaven. It’s just that you’ve agreed that you need purgation and purification before your arrival in Heaven.

I hope that helps. May your cousin Rest in Peace.

In Christ, Michael

[quote=super64]Hello,

Thank you,
Scott
[/quote]

Nothing is beyond the Mercy of God…There is always the Baptism of Desire.

Hello, Honoria,

When I read what you wrote, I thought:

"Come, ye blessed of My Kingdom, for you saw

me elderly and needing help, and you aided me,

you saw my distress when my house was burning,

and you rushed to help me…"

“But, Lord, when did I do this for You?”

And Jesus looks on this soul, with mercy and compassion:

"I tell you, when you did this for the least of My

brethren, you did it unto Me. Come, enter the joy

of my Kingdom…"

God bless and reward your cousin.

reen12

No one is beyond the mercy of the Lord and Savior. Your cousin sounds like a man with a wonderful heart. We can never judge a man’s soul, only God can do that. I’d just guess that your cousin has a pretty good chance of meeting you at the heavenly gate.

Love and peace

I always take great comfort in what the Holy Mother Church teaches. One of her Great teachings is:

1821 We can therefore hope in the glory of heaven promised by God to those who love him and do his will.92 In every circumstance, each one of us should hope, with the grace of God, to persevere "to the end"93 and to obtain the joy of heaven, as God’s eternal reward for the good works accomplished with the grace of Christ. In hope, the Church prays for "all men to be saved."94 She longs to be united with Christ, her Bridegroom, in the glory of heaven:

It sounds to me, and I could be wrong because what do I know, that your cousin was a good man who loved God and did His Will. It sounds like the people described by the other posters, who sacrificed for others during the Baatan Death March, during rescue operations etc, loved God and did His Will. In other words, if it was up to me then these wonderful men are united with Christ. And if a mere creature like ME can extend mercy, love and forgiveness for little transgressions then how much more merciful can Allmighty GOD be towards His creatures?

My condolences for your loss…

To all,

Thank you for taking the time to answer and offer condolences. My wife and I were very touched by such display of love. I feel much better about my cousins passing.

His name is Craig Burkman and he lived in Hawkins, WI. He left two boys age 20 & 16. His eldest(Jonathon) was operating the back-hoe when he saw Craig collapse. Jonathon, who was also on the F.D., administered CPR. Craig was pronounced DOA.

We have enrolled him in the Marian Helpers Association. Masses will be said for him for five years. He will be missed.

Peace to all,

Scott

Remember always, my friend, that ours is a God of love and mercy. Pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for your cousin. I doubt he turned his back on God in this life…he may simply not have known how to talk to Him. God understands. Never lose hope. Hope does not disappoint.

All-powerful and merciful God,
we commend to you, Craig Burkman, your servant.
In your mercy and love,
blot out all the sins he has committed through human weakness.
In this world he has died: let him live with you for ever.

We ask this through Christ our Lord.

AMEN.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.