The passion and the Paschal Mystery

For a long time I have believed that the Passion of our Lord was part of the Paschal mystery. Now I think it’s the other way around. The passion begins with the entry into Jerusalem on and goes to his ascension. The Paschal mystery is his crucifixion death, 3 days in hell and resurrection and going into heaven. Am I right on these terms?

It is a general term for the redemptive work of Christ. Usually the emphasis is on the events of the Last Supper, the Passion, Resurrection, (extending through Ascension and Pentecost).

The passion includes the praying in the garden too right?

Oh, yes, an important part. From the Gospel of Mark chapters 14, 15, and 16, the order of events from Bethany to Resurrection is:

[LIST]
*]Jesus Anointed at Bethany
*]The Last Supper
*]Jesus Predicts Peter’s Denial
*]Gethsemane (Agony in the Garden)
*]Jesus Arrested
*]Jesus Before the Sanhedrin
*]Peter Disowns Jesus
*]Jesus Before Pilate
*]The Soldiers Mock Jesus
*]The Crucifixion of Jesus
*]The Death of Jesus
*]The Burial of Jesus
*]Jesus Has Risen
[/LIST]

So where does the entry into Jerusalem on the mule enter into this? Or is that what you meant by your first point? So the Paschal mystery includes his entire life then. And we celebrate that at Easter?

Lazarus Saturday and Palm Sunday are positioned between the Great Fast (Lent) and Holy Week of the Lord’s passion and Resurrection. Entry into Jerusalem is Palm Sunday. Jesus is Anointed at Bethany after Palm Sunday (according to Mark and Matthew).

The Paschal Mystery is his entire life of redemptive work, but the focus is on the events described for Holy Week.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.