The Passion of Christ

An anti-Catholics critique of the passion.

pro-gospel.org/main/Topics/topic-026.php

Boring, ill-informed, and predictable sola scriptura approach complete with the misinterpretation of Scripture.

In Christ,
Rand

“Charming”… I have to agree with Rand Al’Thor all the way. This guy offers an agenda driven critique that could only be more predictable if he quoted Jack Chick and Lorraine Boettner. :rolleyes:
Pax vobiscum,

Well, that was stupid…Has this person ever seen the movie? Because he sure doesn’t sound like it. It sounds like he just threw together a bunch of his biggest beefs with the Catholic Church, & tossed them out there, knowing full well that most of his readers will take his word for it.

Furthermore, I am sick to death of the ranters who proclaim that "the stations of the cross are not in the Bible. They sure are…Maybe he doesn’t know what they are???

The man seriously needs to get a life. We have a world full of people who have no faith in anything but making a buck & having a high ol’ time, & somebody who claims to be a Christian pastor is wasting his time & energy on this kind of [self censored&deleted]. Sheesh!!!

Instead of reviewing the movie he reviews Roman Catholcism.
An agenda perhaps?
This is why protestants make such bad religious movies they have no imagination - the passion was influenced by piety and meditation that is common the faith that of course includes the sorrowful mysteries of the rosay and the stations of the cross.
No Piety = No vision

Peace be with you!

I’ll say this much. If Mel had just made The Passion using soley the Bible, it would have about 20 lines, almost no action or moving at all, and only a few characters…plus everyone in the crowd would just yell the same thing at the same time…once. Can someone say bad film making? I’m surprised I haven’t seen some angry Protestants slamming Mel for having Jesus say a line from Revelation to Mary.

In Christ,
Rand

I find it funny they attack the filmaking of the Passion but don’t say anything about the Left Behind movies?
Can You say bad film making?
Bad Acting?
Unbiblical?

It would kill to admit that a fundamentilist film stinks and a catholic film is universally loved by most other evangelicals but hey that is exactly what happened.
I think he can blame his fellow evangelicals who supported the film than attack Catholcism but he choose to do the predictable.

Im sorry…but I stopped reading when the author of the article canonized the Blessed Anne Emmerich, to “St. Anne Emmerich”…when I saw that, I knew the article was nothing more than a bunch of anti-Catholic, Protestant propaganda. You would think that by this day in age, if people were going to make a fallacious claim against The Catholic Church, they would at least get the minor details right (such as calling Blessed Anne Emmerich, St. Anne Emmerich), so as to not draw any more attention to their incompetence than necessary.

ONe of the reasons that I stopped attending my former Independent Baptist Church was because the pastor was against the Passion. My hubby tried to speak to him about his prejudice but the Pastor’s main objections seemed to be that Mel Gibson was Catholic. Well, thank God for that stupid prejudice because it made me research Catholisim, which led me into RCIA.:dancing:

We have to be careful to not judge most Protestants by this man. The majority of Protestants that I know loved the movie and were deepened in their faith. Sadly, it is the antiCatholics that are the loudest.:frowning:

God bless you on finding your way home…I too am a Baptist convert…when I was confirmed, it was the happiest day of my life. God Bless

[quote=deb1]ONe of the reasons that I stopped attending my former Independent Baptist Church was because the pastor was against the Passion. My hubby tried to speak to him about his prejudice but the Pastor’s main objections seemed to be that Mel Gibson was Catholic. Well, thank God for that stupid prejudice because it made me research Catholisim, which led me into RCIA.:dancing:

We have to be careful to not judge most Protestants by this man. The majority of Protestants that I know loved the movie and were deepened in their faith. Sadly, it is the antiCatholics that are the loudest.:frowning:

[/quote]

[quote=Maccabees]Instead of reviewing the movie he reviews Roman Catholcism.
An agenda perhaps?
This is why protestants make such bad religious movies they have no imagination - the passion was influenced by piety and meditation that is common the faith that of course includes the sorrowful mysteries of the rosay and the stations of the cross.
No Piety = No vision
[/quote]

And some scences were inspired by Catholic Visionaries.

Mel Gibson’s view or Kirk Camoren’s view? :hmmm: That’s easy Mel. I bet this guy had only good things to say about the Left Behind series. Typical Anti-Catholic. :tsktsk:

“Neither the doctrines of indulgences and purgatory, nor six of the 14 Stations of the Cross are found in the Bible.”

What??? What is this guy talking about? Obviously he hasn’t studied the Bible as much as he claimes to have. The books “Catholic Doctrine in Scripture: A Guide to the Verses That Are Key to Affirming the Faith” and “Where is that in the Bible?” clearly show us that every single Catholic Doctrine appears in Scirpture.

This is the problem with Sola Scriptura: people tend to take off the page things that they like and leave on the page things that they don’t like.

Did anyone e-mail this yay-hoo?

Roman Catholics are taught that Jesus did not finish the work of redemption.

That’s news to me.

Consequently, Jesus must be offered daily in the Eucharist as a sacrificial victim to make satisfaction for sin. Catholics must participate in the perpetual crucifixion of Christ in the Mass to be cleansed from sin.

I didn’t know we believed that, either.

We must proclaim the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ secures salvation for all who believe! We must share this good news because the movie fails to do so.

Anyone else feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

[quote=jukesk9]Consequently, Jesus must be offered daily in the Eucharist as a sacrificial victim to make satisfaction for sin. Catholics must participate in the perpetual crucifixion of Christ in the Mass to be cleansed from sin.

I didn’t know we believed that, either.
[/quote]

When I attended the Divine Liturgy last Saturday, the priest said in his homily that we do not go to the divine liturgy, we participate in the divine liturgy.

Yeah some tricky wording there catholics do not beleive Christ is being crucifed again and again as his wording suggest but rather his one sacrifice is being represented as we who participate in the mass are being take out of space and time back to calvary itself where the one sacrifice took place.
But i guess the concept is too heady form him to explain.

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.