The Passover Meal-Catholics as Guests

Not that I’ve been invited, but if a Jewish Family has Catholic friends, is it ok to invite their them over to share the Passover Meal with them? Is that gonna be a problem in Jewish or Catholic teachings or both?

Just curious.

I don’t know the rules on the Jewish side of things. As far as Catholics, I think it would be a great honor to be invited. Many parishes offer Seder meals so that we can better understand the Last Supper and its Jewish meaning. But how much more meaningful to be invited to share in the meal by people to whom it is a part of their spiritual lives.

I’ve enjoyed going to several Seders in my lifetime.
The gentile usually gets to play the role of “the man who didn’t even know enough to ask a question”

I have a feeling it would be a problem for an orthodox Jew:

Exodus 12:43-49 And the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “This is the ordinance of the passover: no foreigner shall eat of it; but every slave that is bought for money may eat of it after you have circumcised him. No sojourner or hired servant may eat of it. In one house shall it be eaten; you shall not carry forth any of the flesh outside the house; and you shall not break a bone of it. All the congregation of Israel shall keep it. And when a stranger shall sojourn with you and would keep the passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, then he may come near and keep it; he shall be as a native of the land. But no uncircumcised person shall eat of it. There shall be one law for the native and for the stranger who sojourns among you.”

Were these in a private Jewish home - where it was the family fulfilling their religious obligation to celebrate Passover?

I’m asking because I’ve attended two Seder meals that could not be described as such:
The first in a dining hall with many present I think it was even in a synagogue hall, but not sure. As I recollect, it was put on thru the Jewish congregation.
The second was put on by a neighboring Catholic parish.
I don’t consider either of those two to have been the actual Passover Meal, more like a “pretend” passover meal for the benefit of showing non-Jews what it is like. (Similar to someone acting out the Mass).

:smiley: You mean like “why is no one sitting at that place setting?” :wink:

The first time was with a group of Jewish students who were away from home but were trying their best to recreate the holiday in a dorm.

The other times were with a family celebrating in their home complete with the grandmother’s wonderful cooking (she smiled as I sputtered and choked on her home made horseradish) and that terrible sweet wine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.