The peace of Christ

I’ve often heard and read that peace and joy should be the natural atmosphere of each Christian’s heart…
That the peace of Christ is a “rich peace, full of sweetness and mildness”, and that it is indestructible (quoting from the late Archbishop of Mexico Luis Martinez’s book “When God is silent”).
Although I have, at certain times been able to experience this peace, it has never been my constant companion. I don’t know if it has to do with my background, but I deeply desire to manifest this peace in every aspect of my life, so that I can better bring Christ’s love to others.
I’ve had counseling from various “experts”, but due to various factors (my country’s situation, the way my mind works, my former religion, what I feel called to do in life in the context of certain patriotic ideals etc.) the advice I got either didn’t work for me, or was very misguided.
I’ve been a Catholic for four years now, and I’m always enchanted by the beauty of Catholicism…
However, I didn’t grow up around religious/pious people and it’s more difficult to “learn” trust and surrender later in life… (I grew up in a certain “Christian” denomination that regularly employed spiritually abusive methods, e.g. quoting Scriptures to threaten and intimidate others)
For example, to surrender to God’s love… that’s difficult when the name of God was often used to threaten/manipulate/intimidate people.
To pray to the saints–it’s so beautiful and comforting, but my previous denomination was fiercely anti-Catholic and so the basic foundation of trust/relationship to these saints is just not very strong (not strong enough to withstand the storms of life?)
Trust was also severely lacking in our home in general (lots of familial conflicts, lots of internal conflicts in my country at that time, civil wars, riots etc.)
So it’s difficult for me to “imitate” the trust that seems to come naturally to so many Catholics, the trust/surrender that leads to true peace.
P.S. I’ve been to a “secular” counselor, who admitted to me that he wanted to have faith but couldn’t. His advice: “You seem to be on the right track. Continue being a good Catholic…”

But how? I often feel that I’m not “made of the right Catholic stuff”. I have really holy priest/friends and confessors–Dominicans and Opus Dei mostly, and their trust and surrender to the Lord and the Blessed Virgin is just amazing… I really want to have that… but the natural “wariness” is always there, blocking the path to true surrender. I think it’s “natural” for people raised in my circumstances to learn to have this “wariness” very, very early in life, in very early childhood. I never developed that “trust” to my parents, teachers or Sunday school teachers (due to the atmosphere at that time)
So to re-learn this basic “trust” to God and various holy beings later in life, which I never had to begin with, is very difficult. And I think that without this trust/surrender there can be no Christian peace.

Please pray for me my friends; if it’s not too much to ask, please remember me in your daily prayers and rosaries…
My baptism name is Maria, my confirmation name is Therese (after St Therese of Lisieux).
Thank you!

Remember,
O most gracious Virgin Mary that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, Implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in Thy mercy hear and answer me, Amen

What worked for me was the notion of an inlined plane. I heard this in a meditation given by an Opus Dei priest, and it just stuck in my head.

The “inclined plane” and also the concept of “beginning again” (also given by the same priest).

We move ever closer to God, but we’re human so we have to get back on track, generally a couple of times a day!!

But if we approach God like a child (like He tells us to), then it becomes a sport of sorts, a cheerful movement toward Him.

Everything we do can be viewed as an act of “increasing union” with Him.

When we examine ourselves (briefly) at the end of the day, or before Confession, this is an act of unity.
When we go to Confession…an act of union, reconciling with God, with His Church, with our neigbhor, with ourselves (our will, intellect, and passions, reallign if you will). All acts of unity, but toward God.

When we pray (even a brief aspiration, such as “My Lord and My God” or “You must increase, and I must decrease” - these are acts of unity, communion.

When we live out charity - an act of union.
When we make an act of reparation - it becomes an act of union.
When we Thank God for something - an act of union.
When we ask Him for some blessing…and act of trust > an act of union.

Removing doubt, practicing a virtue, rooting out a vice, sidestepping a temptation, abandoning ourselves to His care (even though we will have to remember to do this again tomorrow and certainly the next day too!), all are acts of union.

With God as Our Loving Father, we have only GAIN by having to begin again all the time! He wants us very “practiced” in beginning again. He can’t hold grudges. He doesn’t have or nurse resentments.

Our Loving Father God makes excuses for us too when we return.

When we talk to someone about our Faith, or about the Sacraments, or about anything truly good (e.g., beauty, order, creation) these too are acts of union.

So don’t sweat it…inclinded plane, beginning again, acts of union.

Great fun.

1 Like

If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m praying for you. May the Lord resolve your situation.

Praying for your intention.

Praying that God would grant all the desires of your heart, maria. I will include you in my rosary prayers. God bless.

1 Like

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Prayer to Our Lady of Mental Peace

O Lady of Mental Peace,
Mother of Tranquility
and Mother of Hope,
look upon petitefleur in this time
of weakness and unrest.

Teach her searching heart
to know that God’s Love
for her is unchanging and
unchangeable, and, that
true human love can only
begin and grow by touching
His Love.

Let your gentle Peace -
which this world cannot give

• be always with her.
    And, help her to bring this
    same Peace into the lives
    of others.

Our Lady of Mental Peace,

• Pray for us!
    Amen.

1 Like

Hail Mary,
Full of grace
The Lord is with Thee
Blessed art Thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb
Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of death,
Amen

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.