The Piarists: A not so well known religious order

It’s a real shame that the Piarists are not as well known as other religious orders. This is an order founded by Saint Joseph Calasanz for the education of children and youth in piety and letters. For more information, see their official website:

scolopi.org/eng/quienessomos/

piaristusa.org/

And also:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colegio_Ponce%C3%B1o

God Bless,
Michael

Michael, funny you should mention the Piarist Fathers, but real glad you did. I met several of them in my senior year of high school at St.Bernard High School in Los Angeles Calif.

As I recall, Cardinal Mac Intyre had invited the order to help staff several Catholic high schools in the Archdiocese. We had a really great bunch of Priests. The spoke fluent, but often, heavily accented English. They soon learned "American English".

They were excellent teachers, wonderful Priests, great guys. Thanks for the memories, and the info on the website.

Phil

They sound interesting. Thank you for sharing this information.

i saw a poster about them outside a Carmelite monastery. interesting and good order. They need more vocations, because their apostolate is badly needed.

Their apostolate is badly needed! If you know anyone that is thinking about the priesthood and religious life and is interested in education, please present to that person the Piarist option! Thank you!

God Bless,
Michael

I’ve heard of the Piarists. Many of the Spanish members were martyred in the 1936-1939 Civil War.

Why are they also called ‘Scolopians’? Seems an odd name…:o

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:6, topic:214315"]
I've heard of the Piarists. Many of the Spanish members were martyred in the 1936-1939 Civil War.

Why are they also called 'Scolopians'? Seems an odd name....:o

[/quote]

That's derived from the Latin name of the Order. It's Schola Pia or Pious School. The Piarists are the Order of the Pious Schools.

God Bless,
Michael

Gotcha-so that’s how the name came about! :blush:

Should have known…:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.