The pill can kill: AIIMS study

NEW DELHI: Women who take oral contraceptives regularly are at a higher risk of developing breast cancer compared to others, shows a study by AIIMS doctors. Breast cancer risk was found to be 9.5 times more in women with a history of consuming such pills. Early menstruation cycle, late marriage and lower duration of breastfeeding were the other major factors responsible for the disease among Indians, according to the study published in the latest issue of the Indian Journal of Cancer.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/The-pill-can-kill-AIIMS-study/articleshow/28251469.cms

I imagine it is still safer than the risks attached to repeated pregnancy in impoverished third world countries, so what is your point?

Imagine, imagine being key.

The point that is being shown is that the wonderful pill is not all it is claimed to be.

I wouldn’t trust any study not FDA sanctioned.

Because the FDA certainly doesn’t have any stake in that sort of thing…oh, wait…

The PILL is a carcinogen and even more so for those who live in countries without good nutrition. It DOES increase the risk for Breast Cancer, just like multiple ABORTIONS can!

abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2009/01/think-birth-con/

Let’s remember first of all, that even if the pill were 100% safe, using it to contracept would remain contrary to the natural law of humanity. Using it only medicinally is not objectionable. But secondly, the article you cite here does not delve into whether or not cancerous side effects develop later in life. It just says cancer is lower among younger women. Yes, but what about when those women grow older? As well, there are studies that demonstrate child-bearing women have a longer life expectancy. The part of the article you cite about things like pregnancy causing an 800% increase in chance of stroke doesn’t provide a source. It also doesn’t say whether that is a rise during or later in life? If it’s during, the author does not apply the same standard that young women aren’t prone to stroke anyway as she did of contraceptives.

The pill has health drawbacks, pregnancy has still more…l
repeat, what is the original poster’s point?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the risk during pregnancy for heart attack etc a temporary risk, while a woman is pregnant and after she is given birth the risk decreases, back to normal or decreased levels?

In comparison with the pill, a study released in 1996 put across that if women stopped taking pill, then after 10 years plus, their breast cancer risk rate would drop to a level, with people who had never taken the pill. But that is one study, and even if the number is correct, that is 10 years with an increased risk of breast cancer.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8656904

A study found that plastic packaging and oral contraception deform the prostate in children that a pregnant woman is carrying and taking oral contraception at the same time. The study claimed 3% of women are taking oral contraception and become pregnant but I am not sure about that number because the Guttmacher insitutute says 55% - 60% of women who got an abortion had used contraception, but doesn’t specify how many were on oral contraception

newscientist.com/article/dn7333-oral-contraception-linked-to-prostate-deformities.html#.UsXOMXkYi7c

guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3429402.html

What exactly is your point?

Pregnancy isn’t a health drawback, it’s a natural state of the female human body.

The Pill is a carcinogen.

Your comparison is fundamentally flawed.

Better dead than underfed?

You know what’s even better for women in impoverished third world countries? A natural (no harmful chemicals) low cost to no cost method of measuring a woman’s fertility cycle. Add benefit, the women in these countries get educated on their bodies and all the money being spent on promoting birth control pills in those countries can be spent on the actual medical needs of women there.

I imagine that you are incorrect. Unless your point was that being dead carries fewer risks than being alive, of course.

:thumbsup:

According to an AIIMS study, drinking coffee increases the risk six-fold.

See p45 of this document.

Your first line was debunked. The answer to your second line is in the first sentence of the OP.

There are dozens of studies which conclude the contracpetive pill may increase breast cancer risk.

Twenty-one of 23 studies that followed women who took oral birth control before having their first child showed an increased risk of early breast cancer.

Measuring Risk

Based on these studies, the researchers concluded that taking oral contraceptives before a first full-term pregnancy increases premenopausal breast cancer risk by 44%, compared with women who have never used oral contraceptives.

The increase in risk was 52% among women who took the pill for four years or more before having their first child.

“I think women should know about this risk, and they are not being told,” researcher Chris Kahlenborn, MD, of Altoona Hospital in Altoona, Pa., tells WebMD.

“Anyone who is prescribing oral contraceptives has a duty to tell women that 21 out of 23 studies showed an increased risk.”

webmd.com/sex/birth-control/news/20061031/pill-may-raise-breast-cancer-risk

I read that the Physician’s Desk Reference which is a book used by doctors and has 3500 pages says regarding a meta analyses from daya from over 150000 women

a meta-analysis of 54 studies found a small increase in the frequency of having breast cancer diagnosed for women who were currently using combined oral contraceptives or had used them within the past ten years

The studies included in this collaboration represent about 90% of the epidemiological information on the topic, and what is known about the other studies suggests that their omission has not materially affected the main conclusions

I also read that the 2nd edition Consumer’s Guide to the Pill and Other Drugs says

Early-age use of the pill carries a greater risk of breast cancer, of developing larger tumors and having a worse prognosis

chastity.com/chastity-qa/birth-control/safe-sex/does-birth-control-pill-i

Oral contraceptive pill has been grouped as a class 1 carcinogen by the cancer research arm of the World Health Organisation, International agency for research on cancer

apps.who.int/bookorders/anglais/detart1.jsp?sesslan=1&codlan=1&codcol=75&codcch=405

monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Preamble/Preamble-IntReport.pdf

Class 1 has asbestos and tobacco in.

Oh, I have several basic rules for survival on a Catholic board, one is: “Don’t talk about sex, don’t even talk about not talking about sex.” So, while I appreciate your zeal, as usual, in collecting internet references, I was merely noting something interesting in an AIIMS study.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.