The Poor are Christ in Disguise

Mother Teresa says, “And how much more ugly could he make himself than a badly diseased leper? And yet it is he. We must know it. As I know that two and two make four, I must know that it is Jesus in that person.”

Any Comments?

Seeker100

YES! Although technically, everyone is “Christ in disguise” to everyone else since we all have needs, can be loved, hated, helped or ignored.

Lately most of my reading has focused on books by or about contemporary people who have left comfortable lives to live and work among the poor. Catholic, Protestant and even people with no religious faith at all who choose to identify with the disenfranchised and outcast temporarily or permanently. Their stories inspire awe and even envy because I haven’t found the courage to do more.

I’m not in the habit of hallucinating, but twice in my life I’ve seen needy people “disappear”, which makes me take “Christ in the poor” very literally. One was a guy on the street, filthy, with wild black hair and a scary expression. I drove past him, looked in my rear-view mirror immediately and he was nowhere to be seen. The second time I was driving my normal route home, a very busy street, and saw 4 people walking. A young man whose loping walk and facial features told me he was mentally retarded, was leading a blind girl by the hand. She was leading another young blind girl and the third was leading the fourth. It was the most amazing sight. It was so amazing that I turned the car around and went back because I knew God was speaking. There was nowhere for them to go and yet they weren’t there. Not only does Jesus come to us in the poor and helpless, He speaks to our hearts through them.

Yes God is always working!!

Was Hitler Christ in disguise?? :confused:

Yes. If you met Hilter, you would serve Christ within Him. This does not mean Hilter did God’s will or served him. It means that you can love Hitler even though he is evil, as God is in him.

Beautiful quote, and one of the reasons why I chose Blessed Mother Teresa as my confirmation/patron saint in RCIA.

I am of the mindset that our world no longer understands who Christ was within the social context of Jerusalem, and no longer recognizes His traits in the needy. We forget that the cross was a sign of shame and an instrument of torture in the time of Christ, rather than a pretty decoration everyone has on their wall. We forget the humility, the poverty, the exaltation in weakness that is so central to the gospel, and become like the Pharisees in our attitudes toward the needy.

What you say is so true, so true. Jesus died as a criminal and labelled a sinner. Cast out from his own church. The cross was a sign of shame and torture. By worldly standards Jesus did not make out too well.

You are so right, exaltation of weakness is so central to the gospels. You are so so right. This is so important and is often so forgotten. Our weakness is our strenght in the Lord.

Christ demonstrated so much with His very life. To trust God the Father to raise Him from the dead is just amazing. It is deliverance to what appears to be just a hopeless situation.

I think it is easy to relate to Peter in his denial of knowing Jesus when things were looking bad. It looked as if the show was over. It looked as if the time of Jesus had ended. In the depths of despair and what appeared to be hopelessness, the Kingdom of God on earth began, thanks to the faith of Jesus to God the Father.

What a beautiful experience, FickleFreckled. I am sure they were angels in disguise.
Another Mother Teresa quote I like is the following: "Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat."
There are the monetarily poor, who quite often fit the above description but then there are the spiritually poor who could appear very rich but have almost nothing at all. It makes me wonder if there are angels among us who appear not looking monetarily needy, but are spiritually needy…

Yes I think you are right, being unwanted and unloved is a greater hunger than poverty.

This is basically how I live at work, as a teacher in an impoverished area. Many of my students have grown up under tumultuous circumstances, and are strongly anti-social. Nonetheless, I endeavor to see them as children of God, and somehow bring out their best qualities.

You are truly blessed of God. Your work is His work and is so important. You are a window to God for your students.

God Bless

Thank you so much. Indeed, I try to be exactly that. I’ve never done anything that’s so spiritually rewarding, in that respect.

I can imagine. You are doing so much to magnify the value of people. It is so important as the world attempts to crush them in vice and in throw away jail.

I am sure that many times there is a lot of thanklessness and frustration, however all things for God are worthwhile.

Everyone is Christ in disquise. :smiley:

Yes, is that what you experience?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.